Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Captain Atom Appreciation Thread 2021 <originally from Charlton Comics>

Well, since the "Blue Beetle Appreciation 2021!!" thread seems to have temporarily detoured into a Captain Atom discussion (https://community.cbr.com/showthread...59#post5671359) , seems like maybe we should have a separate Captain Atom thread as well?

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. IV (June 1985)

Captain Atom #1 (March 1987)

from Who's Who Update '87 Vol. 1 (August 1987)

Incredible Member

Captain Atom.jpg

I loved the DC Rebirth mini-series "The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom". Just a shame the design and storyline was never followed up.

I loved his design from the 80's series. So simple and iconic - I hate that they made his boots red for the cartoon. It's simple enough, changing one thing throws off the vibe - and the "red/white(silver)/blue" motif works for him as he's usually a rep for the the U.S. government - as well as being his classic colors from the Charlton days. That original design was just too busy for me, tough that's the look he had the first time I saw him. The look of the metallic shell just exudes power.

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    Captain Atom.jpg

I loved the DC Rebirth mini-series "The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom". Just a shame the design and storyline was never followed up.
    Coloring makes me think of Major Force more than Captain Atom . . .

from Who's Who: Update '88 Vol 2 (September 1988)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Coloring makes me think of Major Force more than Captain Atom . . .
    Yeah, I liked the mini-series, since it brought post-Flashpoint New 52 Captain Atom closer to the action hero of Bates, Weissman and Broderick, and further from the Dr. Manhatan lite, that I really abhor, but I also thought the same of the colour-scheme. Maybe another colour-scheme ould've worked better.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I loved his design from the 80's series. So simple and iconic - I hate that they made his boots red for the cartoon. It's simple enough, changing one thing throws off the vibe - and the "red/white(silver)/blue" motif works for him as he's usually a rep for the the U.S. government - as well as being his classic colors from the Charlton days. That original design was just too busy for me, tough that's the look he had the first time I saw him. The look of the metallic shell just exudes power.
    The eighties look is my favorite, too.
    And really, what’s not to love about this character? He’s DC’s super powered Captain America, able to work w.any Govt agency, a hot villain GF, a daughter older than he is, a great arch enemy in Gen. Eiling, connections to an alien civilization, the ability to be tossed around the time stream…

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    The eighties look is my favorite, too.
    And really, what’s not to love about this character? He’s DC’s super powered Captain America, able to work w.any Govt agency, a hot villain GF, a daughter older than he is, a great arch enemy in Gen. Eiling, connections to an alien civilization, the ability to be tossed around the time stream…
    Honestly, I think it's a situation where if he were given his proper due given his powerset, he'd have to stand next to the other A-listers, but we know that powers alone don't get you there. His series was never regarded highly enough and he's a late-comer to the DCU as opposed to say, the Big 7. So, he's either shown as less powerful or really powerful but jobbed to demonstrate the severity of the threat.

For whatever reason, he's missing an "it" factor for the general audience to make him popular. If he were to fight Harley Quinn at this point, we know who'd probably win, and it has nothing to do with powers. Maybe instead of turning him into Dr Manhattan, someone should try to make him into Captain America. And that's not the same as Superman. But DC won't likely be able to figure out how to have both in the same universe.

Astonishing Member

He reverted back in his new 52 look. Same nu52 version as well.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

My first exposure to Capt. Atom was actually in the pages of Dan Vado's Justice League America; these issues to be exact:

I'd only started picking up the JL books with Jurgens/Jones a year or so before, so this guy was new to me. I remember being so intrigued by the fact that he was apparently a former member that was now at odds with the team. Imagine my surprise when I finally got around to reading early issues of Justice League Europe and he was almost unrecognizable! Lol. But he grew on me enough to hunt down the post-COIE solo book, and that was a good decision! Such great stuff!

I've loved him just about everything since then - even the New 52 Dr. Manhattan-lite version!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I'm hoping he gets adapted to Superman and Lois.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Honestly, I think it's a situation where if he were given his proper due given his powerset, he'd have to stand next to the other A-listers, but we know that powers alone don't get you there. His series was never regarded highly enough and he's a late-comer to the DCU as opposed to say, the Big 7. So, he's either shown as less powerful or really powerful but jobbed to demonstrate the severity of the threat.

For whatever reason, he's missing an "it" factor for the general audience to make him popular. If he were to fight Harley Quinn at this point, we know who'd probably win, and it has nothing to do with powers. Maybe instead of turning him into Dr Manhattan, someone should try to make him into Captain America. And that's not the same as Superman. But DC won't likely be able to figure out how to have both in the same universe.
    Can’t say I disagree w. any of that.

I'll forever be grateful to Formerly Known as the Justice League (2003) for introducing me to the greatness that is Nathaniel Adam.

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-10-2021 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I'll forever be grateful to Formerly Known as the Justice League (2003) for introducing me to the greatness that is Nathaniel Adam.

That was a bit of a bag of mixed nuts. Cap was back, but then, they completly jobbed him to Mary Marvel, and he was written out of the series (he also didn't come back for the sequel). I'm sorry, but Cap should at the very least tie with her. I'd say he'd win, given his experience and his access to an unlimited power source such as the quantum field. For another reference, during the JLI years, Cap was always shown (or at least said) to be in the same power level as J'onn J'onzz, and J'onn beat Captain Marvel early in the run, Captain Marvel, who, supposedly is more powerful than Mary. I treasure this mini-series, but that part of the story really didn't sit well with me.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 08-10-2021 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    That was a bit of a bag of mixed nuts. Cap was back, but then, they completly jobbed him to Mary Marvel, and he was written out of the series (he also didn't come back for the sequel). I'm sorry, but Cap should at the very least tie with her. I'd say he'd win, given his experience and his access to an unlimited power source such as the quantum field. For another reference, during the JLI years, Cap was always shown (or at least said) to be in the same power level as J'onn J'onzz, and J'onn beat Captain Marvel early in the run, Captain Marvel, who, supposedly is more powerful than Mary. I treasure this mini-series, but that part of the story really didn't sit well with me.

Peace
    That CA showing didnt Sit well w. me either.
    It made for a great visual though w. Mary pounding him into the ground in a berserker rage.
    But yeah, CA should have cleaned her clock.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    That CA showing didnt Sit well w. me either.
    It made for a great visual though w. Mary pounding him into the ground in a berserker rage.
    But yeah, CA should have cleaned her clock.
    Great Character and people love him for the "I can't believe its not the justice league" and JLI stuff...

but...

and yes I know I do this often....

but Cap should be one of the pinnacle DC characters, but he suffers under superman's existence the way everyone else does under batman's for those who know.

He's honestly one of my favorite characters and I think he's got one of the best pitches of anybody when you look at the breadth of what he is and is capable of.

Just seriously... no more exploding cap.
    ... or do something more important with it. Its easy with characters like this, but dc seems unwilling to let any other flying brick matter. MM, Shazam, Cap, whoever else. Kinda saddening.

I want a great new run for this guy.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.