Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired

The thing I liked about SUPREME is that it would have a "new" story and an "old" story. They were actually all new stories, but the back-up stories were made to look old. The old story would tie into the new story somehow. I saw this as a road map to how you could do Superman comics that used the old stories, but had new stories that tied into them.

Of course, Alan Moore made it easy on himself by writing the old story to have the right ideas and themes in it, that would make it fit with his larger story. But I'd bet that if he had been encouraged to do so back in the 1980s, when he was still on friendly terms with DC management, he could have pulled off this magic trick with actual classic Superman stories and his own stories that referenced them.

Grant Morrison did the same sort of thing with ALL-STAR SUPERMAN, where many old stories are referenced in his story. It's just that you don't have them identified in the comic (not even an editor's note). Someone should go through the entire work and annotate every page, identifying all the references and similiarites to classic Superman stories.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I kind of wonder what Superman's numbers would be if they just went back to the pre-Crisis Superman. Would it boost sales or not.
    Assassinate Putin!

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The thing I liked about SUPREME is that it would have a "new" story and an "old" story. They were actually all new stories, but the back-up stories were made to look old. The old story would tie into the new story somehow. I saw this as a road map to how you could do Superman comics that used the old stories, but had new stories that tied into them.

Of course, Alan Moore made it easy on himself by writing the old story to have the right ideas and themes in it, that would make it fit with his larger story. But I'd bet that if he had been encouraged to do so back in the 1980s, when he was still on friendly terms with DC management, he could have pulled off this magic trick with actual classic Superman stories and his own stories that referenced them.
    It's a shame that Moore didn't end up taking over Action Comics while Byrne did Superman during the Post-Crisis era as was rumored. Those two would have balanced each other out nicely and we probably would have gotten a better Superman out of it.

Grant Morrison did the same sort of thing with ALL-STAR SUPERMAN, where many old stories are referenced in his story. It's just that you don't have them identified in the comic (not even an editor's note). Someone should go through the entire work and annotate every page, identifying all the references and similiarites to classic Superman stories.
    I'm sure some industrious soul like Rikdad has already done this

If you're of a fan of both Superman and the LSH I recommend;
    Adventure Comics Vol 1 354 - "The Adult Legion!"
    Adventure Comics Vol 1 355 - "The War of the Legions!"

"Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

Clark Kent fired - Superman 410, 412+413:

Story where he gets split in two (not sure if it has a name) - Action 534-541:

The Miraculous Return of Jonathan Kent - Action 507-508:

Story where Lex Luthor turns good (good story, though the ending makes me hate Superman) - Action 510-512:

The Living Legends of Superman - Superman 400:
    Last edited by dancj; 05-31-2019 at 04:49 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Story where Lex Luthor turns good (go story, though the ending makes me hate Superman) - Action 510-512:
    really convoluted plot by luthor and superman being a major dick just so they can go back to status quo.

Retired

One of my favourite runs hasn't been reprinted yet, that's Martin Pasko's. He was the regular writer on SUPERMAN from 1977 to 1979. I haven't found any of his stories reprinted in modern collections. Not even in SUPERMAN IN THE SEVENTIES. It would be hard to pull out just one story, because his run was somewhat continuous--although he did a few stand alone stories. He also wrote the super-long "Life Story of Superman" in ACTION COMICS 500 (October 1979)--I would have thought DC might reprint that around when ACTION COMICS 1000 came out, but the only reprint I know of is THE SUPERMAN STORY which reformatted the story in black and white for a Tor pocket-size paperback in 1983.

As with most of the decades books, I was kind of in the middle about the contents of SUPERMAN IN THE SEVENTIES. Paul Levitz got a story reprinted in that, when I would not consider Levitz one of the important Superman writers--and his story was the one about Pete Ross getting revenge on Superman for what happened to his son--which was a manipulation of character and plot that I've always hated.

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    really convoluted plot by luthor and superman being a major dick just so they can go back to status quo.
    Yeah, but it was good up until those last few pages.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I am a big fan of the series, DC Comics Presents. I think it is every bit as good as Batman's 70's comic the Brave and the Bold. The first 2 issues are by Garcia Lopez and feature Superman and the Flash racing from one end of time to the other.

For my money, I would track down the Superman Vs. Series featuring Luthor, Braniac, Shazam, and Zod. I would also get ahold of the Phantom Zone tpb by Steve Gerber.

Must read in my book, all the team up and versus Limited Edition Series from the 70's and 80's. Both Spiderman Team ups, the Wonder Woman Battle Book, the Captain Marvel showdown, and the Muhammad Ali book are must reads.

One of my favourite runs hasn't been reprinted yet, that's Martin Pasko's. He was the regular writer on SUPERMAN from 1977 to 1979. I haven't found any of his stories reprinted in modern collections. Not even in SUPERMAN IN THE SEVENTIES. It would be hard to pull out just one story, because his run was somewhat continuous--although he did a few stand alone stories. He also wrote the super-long "Life Story of Superman" in ACTION COMICS 500 (October 1979)--I would have thought DC might reprint that around when ACTION COMICS 1000 came out, but the only reprint I know of is THE SUPERMAN STORY which reformatted the story in black and white for a Tor pocket-size paperback in 1983.
    Pasko was arguably my favorite writer on the books. He did a really good story with Metallo that I loved. I liked Gerry Conway also. Both wrote stories where you felt Superman was physically threatened. Overall thought this era gets overlooked I think. Bates did a good story with the Parasite that ran an “epic” 4 issues I believe. For me, the 1976 - around 1980 period is really solid.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I like stuff from the earliest of the 70s the most. Really, I think the late 300s early 400s of Action. Bates followed Dorfman very nicely considering they were two different people with an age gap of decades. I like Maggin's coherence, but I love that "stale fever dream" vibe. Those bizarre ideas coupled with very traditional and subdued Swan art and designs. Action 394, 398, 406, and 411 are some of my favorites. There are a lot of stories that really seem to entertain me equally well all the way up to Karb Brak, and beyond there are some of my favorite Brainiac stories a few years later. With some being written by Maggin, my favorite stretch of the Superman title went from 290-300. He always seems assertive in interviews compared to Bates, must have been interesting in co-writing experiences.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Retired

I think Bates was better at writing plots. A good plot for a Schwartz edited comic has to be designed like a clock where all the gears click into place. Bates knew how to construct such plots. Maggin's plot ideas are kind of flabby. He's more interested in character motivation and doesn't seem to put as much thought into the plot itself. The thing is, I have become more interested in plot construction over the years and character dynamics don't interest me as much as they used to. A well designed plot is a thing of beauty.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    Pasko was arguably my favorite writer on the books. He did a really good story with Metallo that I loved. I liked Gerry Conway also. Both wrote stories where you felt Superman was physically threatened. Overall thought this era gets overlooked I think. Bates did a good story with the Parasite that ran an “epic” 4 issues I believe. For me, the 1976 - around 1980 period is really solid.
    My favorite METALLO costume was the armor Green & Orange he wore as seen on the cover of WFC #270. Written by Conway.

WorldsFinestComics270.jpg