Default The History of the X-Men Part 2 | Seminal Moments

All about the 90's, baby!

Not featuring DC Warlock Jim Lee.

But featuring Matthew Rosenberg wearing a tie!

And most importantly, our Lord and Master @cracksh0t.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Gotta love how everyone's talking how this was Claremont at his best and a labor of love when he was basically putting words to Jim Lee's plots with a proverbial gun against his head and quit right after.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm really enjoying these videos and I think in this one in particular the interviewees really conveyed what a big deal X-Men #1 was back in the 90s. Also nice to see creators not currently associated with the X-books like Waid and Aaron expressing their appreciation. Very much looking forward to the AoA and the New X-Men commentaries.

Man, I remember when someone in my class brought X-Men #1 to school for the rest us to browse and comment on. I somehow missed the original release and could never buy the physical issue for myself, but a lot of that Jim Lee art has been reprinted and repurposed endless times in X-Men related merchandise, so it feels extremely familiar to me on a fundamental level.

After a more recent read...I think the issue itself and its immediate follow-ups are still good. Claremont was definitely not very happy to be leaving the books, but he didn't do a lazy job. Even if the editorial side had given Jim Lee and his fellow star artists way too much influence over the direction of the line around this time, you can tell Claremont himself knew these characters well and did justice to them before his exit. Once he left the book, the quality of the writing significantly declined.

Things eventually settled into a more stable situation, for better or for worse, but the X-Men #1-3 arc holds up as a nice swan song to the original Claremont era.
    Last edited by Souther; 05-27-2019 at 05:56 PM.