View Poll Results: Should Jean have remained dead after Dark Phoenix Saga?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

65 45.45%
  • No

78 54.55%
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Should Jean Grey have stayed dead after Dark Phoenix Saga?

There's a big issue in comics when it comes to death and resurrection. I know there are fans of Jean Grey out there but what are her best stories and character development. I would argue that Dark Phoenix was Jean at her best. I wasn't really a fan of the 90's stuff and definitely not Morrison's garbage. So should Jean have remained dead after Dark Phoenix?

The only way I would say yes is with a HUGE caveat:

If she stays dead, any character that dies also stays dead. No more cheap death drama that we all know will be undone. Make death an actual consequence rather than a revolving door.

If not, no. If death isn't permanent for lesser characters, then it shouldn't be for the embodiment of life and rebirth.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

No
    any damage her return could have caused is already done.

Voted no..

Quote Originally Posted by GodfatherIV View Post
    There's a big issue in comics when it comes to death and resurrection. I know there are fans of Jean Grey out there but what are her best stories and character development. I would argue that Dark Phoenix was Jean at her best. I wasn't really a fan of the 90's stuff and definitely not Morrison's garbage. So should Jean have remained dead after Dark Phoenix?
    Well if Jean was still dead, she couldn't be humiliated by Morrison...

But I still prefer Jean alive

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    The only way I would say yes is with a HUGE caveat:

If she stays dead, any character that dies also stays dead. No more cheap death drama that we all know will be undone. Make death an actual consequence rather than a revolving door.

If not, no. If death isn't permanent for lesser characters, then it shouldn't be for the embodiment of life and rebirth.
    I agree, Jean is a major character, and so many other characters have come back over the years Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Logan, Charles Xavier, Scott Summers, Colossus, Illyana Rasputin, etc.... It would be ridiculous for Jean Grey not to come back too. Heck of all the X-Men, Jean is in the top 10 most popular X-Men characters.

If you start making death permanent for a character then it needs to be permanent for everyone with no exceptions. They kind of did that in the Ultimate Universe, once a character died in the Ultimate Universe they stayed dead.

BANNED

Well then that should apply to every character then. Unfortunately comics is an ungoing entertainment medium that spans decades. Retcons and Reboots happens all the time so therefore keeping any character permanently dead is kinda hard. The only real exceptions are Uncle Ben and Batmans parents but in flashpoint paradox even that was challenged.

One character staying dead does not mean everyone has to stay dead. Some characters have to stay dead so others coming back is actually special and meaningful. It's why Mar-Vell coming back is one of the worst things they could ever do.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Voted no.

1. No one cares about the broccoli people.

2. Other big characters have died before Jean and came back. Don't see why she has to be yhe trend setter for "dead should stay dead".

3. Phoenix. What dies will rise again and again.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    One character staying dead does not mean everyone has to stay dead. Some characters have to stay dead so others coming back is actually special and meaningful. It's why Mar-Vell coming back is one of the worst things they could ever do.
    Why would one character return and other stay dead?
    One character coming back doesn't screw the meaninfullness of another character

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I agree, Jean is a major character, and so many other characters have come back over the years Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Logan, Charles Xavier, Scott Summers, Colossus, Illyana Rasputin, etc.... It would be ridiculous for Jean Grey not to come back too. Heck of all the X-Men, Jean is in the top 10 most popular X-Men characters.

If you start making death permanent for a character then it needs to be permanent for everyone with no exceptions. They kind of did that in the Ultimate Universe, once a character died in the Ultimate Universe they stayed dead.
    It was annoying when Jean died and Quesada said dead should stay dead. The few months later Colossus was back and a lot of character were back to life

BANNED

Even though Jean was the one who started the whole "let's resurrect this character and make a cheap retcon about why they are alive" thing (while Superman brought us the "let's make death a cheap and shameless market ploy"), which is a bad thing in many cases, it only work on an universe where everyone stays dead. So, voted no.

spe·cial
    /ˈspeSHəl/
    adjective
    better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual.

If everyone gets the special thing, like, er, coming back from the dead, then the thing is no longer special. It is common, and therefore Peter David can casually have characters joke about it.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Uhm... no, but she shouldn't have revealed to have been put into a cocoon in Jamaica Bay by a cosmic copy.

O5 X-Factor should've starred Polaris with the O4 boys.

Phoenix should've come back as a crossover villain in the early 90s or so, and maybe put psychic clamps on HERSELF until she grew into cosmic capabilities or something.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Retcon View Post
    Well then that should apply to every character then. Unfortunately comics is an ungoing entertainment medium that spans decades. Retcons and Reboots happens all the time so therefore keeping any character permanently dead is kinda hard. The only real exceptions are Uncle Ben and Batmans parents but in flashpoint paradox even that was challenged.
    We can't forget Destiny has been dead since the 80's. And we've had writers saying that Mystique is not getting her back. And I can believe it after over 20 years.

Synch has stayed dead. and I think he was a popular GenX member. Skin was also killed off and forgotten for the most part. Even 616 Blink came back.

Otherwise, yeah. Seems everyone but a small few eventually end up coming back at some point. We'll see what happens with the characters Rosenberg fridged in his Uncanny.

Otherwise, yeah. Resurrection is a staple part of comics. it allows writers to kill off characters for shock value, but not having to shut them down permanently.

There's a trope called Rule of Funny. Where if something can be used to get laughs, it's done. Regardless of whether it makes sense, contracts characterization, or is ever referenced again. lol Comics do the same. Rule of Death. If it works for the story do it. But if it doesn't work for a story, undo it. lol
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 05-27-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm torn. I adore Jean and I think she has contributed much to the X-Men since her return, and can certainly contribute more in the future. But her death at the time gave the books a gravitas few others had, with a real sense of tragedy and loss permeating the pages even as her various spin-offs started to emerge (Madelyne, Rachel). I think it speaks volumes to the greatness of the character and the work Chris Claremont did with her if she can have such a meaningful impact both dead and alive.

I agree however that with every other character coming back from the dead, even back then, it would stretch credibility to keep her in the grave.