Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Mike Carey is one of my favourite X- Men writers. Same goes for Kyle&Yost, DnA and Ed Brubaker.

If these 4 (combos in 2 cases) would come back, the X- Men will be addy their very best.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Carey is the best X-Writer of all time after Claremont.

He did fantastic work with his off-the-wall team roster, helmed the magnificent Messiah CompleX (one of my favorite X-Stories ever) and did amazing character work with Xavier, Rogue, Magneto, Legion (including the too-often overlooked Age of X) and more. Hell, he even wrote a great story featuring Raze, the future son of Wolverine and Mystique from Battle of the Atom (that story being No More Humans).

If they has given control of the franchise to Carey instead of Fraction, the line would be in a far better place.

That said, I'm hyped as can be for Hickman and hope that he turns things around: I haven't read a ton of his work, but knowing that he's going to have a steady, years-long plan that editorial (hopefully) won't screw too much with makes me happy. He's also saying all the right things in interviews, including namedropping Carey. So there's a win.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

His Necrosha tie-in visiting Muir Island and taking on Proteus is PURE PERFECTION.

Is there a Carey Omnibus?
    Or at least one for his Rogue-centric stories?
    Last edited by Fokken; 05-28-2019 at 06:08 AM.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    His Necrosha tie-in visiting Muir Island and taking on Proteus is PURE PERFECTION.

Wholeheartedly agree on your first point. That tie-in was easily the best part of that whole event.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any kind of Carey Omnibus, Rogue or otherwise. I'm not really a trade guy, so I could be wrong there.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post

Unfortunately not.

They recently released "X-Men Marauders" which is basically a complete collection version of Carey's run on X-Men prior to Messiah Complex.

Hoping an X-Men Legacy version follows very soon!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Ok so thanks to a previous Hickman I decided to jump back into Mike's X-men series. I read the Supernova issues years ago and really enjoyed them so this time I decided to go back and read them from the beginning and HOLY HELL are they good. I'm only a few issues in the quality is amazing and atmospheric. The whole introspective dive into Xavier as character examining his motivations and drives is just so well put together.

I had forgotten some of the great storytelling that came from the whole House of M/Messiah Complex events. What the hell happened to the X-men books? I feel like after AvX Marvel just largely stopped putting effort into the X-Men. Even a few issues in there's some pretty interesting concepts especially with Mr. Sinister, I mean experimenting on Xavier when he was a child, grooming Scott at the Orphanage, taking a sample of Jean's DNA when she was just a little girl? Can't wait to read the rest.
    Carey's one of the few post-2001 writers to actually use the franchise's history and continuity to tell stories. A lot of his run was quite good. I particularly like what he did with Rogue and his attempt at damage control on what Brubaker and Whedon did to Xavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    Carey is the best X-Writer of all time after Claremont.
    I second that.

X-Men #188-204 is one of my most favourite runs in the last 35 years of reading the title.

Spectacular Member

I actually did not enjoy his adjectiveless run as much as I should have, mainly because I do not like Bachallo's abstract visuals and almost manga-style characters. I know that a lot of people really love his art and I can see that he's really talented, I just did not like it in that book. I think it would have been more suited for a wolverine or a punisher book.

I loved his Xavier issues, although I did not like the forced in "Original Sin" Daken story. Marvel was trying hard to push Daken, without actually knowing what to do with him at the time. They still don't. Is he a villain? An anti-hero? An anti-villain? Alive? Dead? Alive? Dead? Alive? Dead? Dead?

The Rogue issues were great. As many have mentioned, his Necrosha tie-in was nothing short of a masterpiece. When was the last time we have actually enjoyed a tie-in? My very favourite arc was Collision: Beautiful art by Clay Mann, Children of the Vault, a welcome respite after the Second Coming and all the Fractioning. It really did feel like some teachers and student going off on a school trip/holiday. I felt like I was in India with them.

I find his work dry unless paired with an unconventional artist. Prior to the Xavier-focus and title change, his X-men was fun and reminded me of Kelly and Seagle’s (short) run. Mystique x Iceman is a no. The Xavier focus did a lot of heavy lifting for the character but was pretty boring. If Carey had really good artists like Bachelo and Ramos working with him those issues would be a lot more fun to read. Clay Mann drew great covers for the Rogue-run, but at that stage he wasn’t a great visual storyteller.

The new status quos established for Rogue and Xavier weren’t picked up or developed that much by other writers. The Rogue centric run is downright offensive. It relies on male characters (and the writer through interviews) telling the reader what Rogue thinks and wants and why.

She gets her powers under control and does nada except bang Magneto 12 issues later. You don’t think she’s been dying to go for a spa day or pet a puppy? Nah. PiV sex is the sum total of her new uninhibited world of sensual experience, which she then doesn’t talk or think about. Seagle’s ditched script for UXM 359 dealt with the same idea much better in 4 pages (spa day, folding a few dollars into a homeless guy’s hand, playing basketball with kids, crowd surfing at a concert). That run goes in the same pile of crap as cRaZyDaEnErYs in GOT.

And there’s too many goddamn similies.
    Last edited by Foon4000; 05-28-2019 at 11:53 AM.

X-Men Legacy 255 was one of the best Xavier's issue of all time. He was SO badass invading the Acolyte's hideout.

background.jpg

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/X-Men:_Legacy_Vol_1_225

I also liked his Adjectiveless a lot. The Rogue-centric Legacy were not as interesting for me but it was nice seeing every character being treated with respect.