Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Harley & Ivy : an appreciation.

Anyone know any fanart or fanfic sites you like on these two? Any favourite stories or episodes?
    I own a Japanese "GL" fan-comic on these two. Nothing smutty but they DO share a bath together in it. Mind you Manga girls do that all the time. My Japanese is lousy but I think confesses her love for her.

THIS pic is cute. Would love to see Margot Robbie sign off on Harley this way :

lgbt.jpg
    Last edited by AnthonyO'Brien; 05-28-2019 at 01:48 AM.

I’ll actually say this in full honesty I like them together much more then any story between Harley and any other character, especially the joker. I mean I do honestly think it started out as just fan fic shipping, but recent comics have actually had some really great moments between them that I really like. Honestly if DC were to make it more official I’d be all for it.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

The couple really started with Harley's creator, but it's been developed in Harley's solo, Batman and Hic. As well as the out of continuity stuff with injustice and bombshells. I think it's good for representation and it can lead to meaningful development for both characters, but when dealing with characters as big as Harley and Ivy it's important to balance so that neither ends up being used as a plot device for the other.

As for fan sites, half of tumblr is pretty much a fan site for the pairing.

Mighty Member

(thanks for the replies so far!)

Love the bit in Batman Adventures #12 where Ivy rushes to Harl's aid after a bump to the head, pushing batgirl aside. A lot of bad guys in a team up would have only cared about themselves.
    It made me wonder...

A few years later the Batgirl adventures one-shot made me wonder even more :

Ivy : "She was my friend and she meant more to me than you'll ever know..."
    (Harley- Listening in the distance) "aww Red!"

YOUR favourite H&I moments?

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    (thanks for the replies so far!)

Love the bit in Batman Adventures #12 where Ivy rushes to Harl's aid after a bump to the head, pushing batgirl aside. A lot of bad guys in a team up would have only cared about themselves.
    It made me wonder...

A few years later the Batgirl adventures one-shot made me wonder even more :

Ivy : "She was my friend and she meant more to me than you'll ever know..."
    (Harley- Listening in the distance) "aww Red!"

YOUR favourite H&I moments?
    For me, the most memorable moment came from Batman & Robin Adventures #8 where Harley & Ivy capture Robin and turn him into their slave. While Robin was attending to Ivy, Harley made a snarky comment that Ivy was "robbin' the cradle".
    Last edited by K7P5V; 06-01-2019 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I haven't seen much, so my favorite is that BTAS episode when they have a girl's crime out and get a hypnotized Bruce Wayne to pay for everything.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I almost always enjoy their meetups and outings, especially their mini-series, and Gotham Girls, and yeah, I'd support DC's 'making it official'.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Mighty Member

WHEN did you first start hearing "speculation" about H&I? When I watched the classic BTAS I wondered about the way Ivy looked at Harl and especially when Mistah J found out about their pairing.
    I was on the old rec.arts.animation forums in 1995 asking : "Is Poison Ivy GAY?"

B&R adv. 21 (?) - had a letter RE- issue #8 saying that it seems Ivy has very strong feelings towards Harley...

I also like the Batman Black and white story feat. H&I. The pair help protect a young girl from a sex predator, leading batman to admit there are worse things out there than Jewel thieves...

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I found out from wiki when I first started interested in Batfam again right after Hush. I didn't watch all BTAS episode so I never watched Harley Ivy episodes during the original airing. It was surprising because Harley is defined by being Joker's girlfriend, including in Hush.

Mighty Member

Loved the H&I cameo in B&R adv. The Mad hatter issue written by Paul Dini. H&I have a bunk bed cell in Arkham. Ivy's the top and Harley's the bottom....

To the tune of "The Holly and the Ivy"

The Holly and the Ivy
    Are both from Arkham gone
    Of all the trees that are in the wood,
    The Holly bears the crown

The rising of the sun
    And the running of the deer
    And the green growth at the time of spring
    They bring a love so queer

The Ivy shelters orphans
    Deep in Robinson Park
    And now she cares for the Holly so
    And helps her with her larks

The rising of the sun…

The Holly bears a blossom
    as white as lily flow'r
    and the Ivy wears the green of life
    and the vines in her pow'r

The rising of the sun…

The Holly bears a berry
    as red as any blood
    and the Ivy call'd the roots of trees
    to catch him in his mud

The rising of the sun…

The Holly bears a prickle,
    As sharp as any thorn,
    And the Ivy has a poison kiss
    And brings the earth its corn

The rising of the sun…

The Holly bears a sorrow
    As bitter as a gall
    And the Ivy told her no more smiles
    Holly's tears she did call

The rising of the sun…

Partially inspired by this picture by Stjepan Sejic:

DhKDN1BW4AA-ZkE.jpg
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Mighty Member

It's so cool that Kevin Smith named his daughter Harley Quinn in 1999. She's in the new QT film with Margot Robbie, funny enough!

I wonder if he had H&I in mind when he wrote THIS dialogue in Chasing Amy. (A slight change of names and I think I might be on to something ! ) :

Harley: Why are we stopping? IVY: 'Cause I can't take this. H: Can't take what? Ivy: I love you. H: You love me? IVY: I love you. And not, not in a friendly way, although I think we're great friends. And not in a misplaced affection, puppy-dog way, although I'm sure that's what you'll call it. I love you. Very, very simple, very truly. You are the-the epitome of everything I have ever looked for in another human being. And I know that you think of me as just a friend, and crossing that line is-is-is the furthest thing from an option you would ever consider. But I had to say it. I just, I can't take this anymore. I can't stand next to you without wanting to hold you. I can't-I can't look into your eyes without feeling that-that longing you only read about in trashy romance novels. I can't talk to you without wanting to express my love for everything you are. And I know this will probably queer our friendship - no pun intended - but I had to say it, 'cause I've never felt this way before, and I-I don't care. I like who I am because of it. And if bringing this to light means we can't hang out anymore, then that hurts me. But God, I just, I couldn't allow another day to go by without just getting it out there, regardless of the outcome, which by the look on your face is to be the inevitable shoot-down. And, you know, I'll accept that. But I know, I know that some part of you is hesitating for a moment, and if there's a moment of hesitation, then that means you feel something too. And all I ask, please, is that you just - you just not dismiss that, and try to dwell in it for just ten seconds. Harley there isn't another soul on this XXXng planet who has ever made me half the person I am when I'm with you, and I would risk this friendship for the chance to take it to the next plateau. Because it is there between you and me. You can't deny that. Even if, you know, even if we never talk again after tonight, please know that I am forever changed because of who you are and what you've meant to me, which - while I do appreciate it - I'd never need a painting of birds bought at a diner to remind me of....

Character design shots of Harley and Ivy from the upcoming Harley Quinn cartoon:

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I suppose this was inevitable (the designs as Frontier shared), but ironically, Harley seemed far edgier to me in her 'first appearance' appearance. Easy to imagine her personality, like her image, will be softer, more comfortable to see.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I have looked through the forms and can't find a Harley Quinn appreciation thread that's not locked. I recently started reading comics mostly because of Harley, I would love to discuss the character but I can see she's not very popular here. Anyone know a forum where I can discuss the Character? (hopefully this does not break any rules)