Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Are there any People of Color Writing XMEN?

And does it matter? Obviously, the best writer for the job should win. No matter what color.

But months ago I've seen someone on here compile a list of writers and artists of recent X books and by name alone, the artists were glaringly more diverse, but when I google a hand full of writers to see their images they were all white.

Given the recurring concept of the XMEN representing a metaphor for the disenfranchised, and how that concept is currently being clumsily handled with a narrow, dated, and black and white point of view; wouldn't it help if people of color show their perspective? The same way they do Black Panther and Ms. Marvel?

I even just watched one of those mini docs on the Marvel YT on the XMEN and I noticed it was just white after white after white.

But of course, correct me if I'm wrong. I also don't feel POC means instant success, they'd still have to be a good writer and understand a character, etc. But it's at a point where it is suspiciously glaring.

Vita Ayala, a nonbinary black writer, is working on Age of X-Man: Prisoner X. I believe Seanan McGuire is Romani and she's working on Age of X-Man: Amazing Nightcrawler. Currently, those are the only two.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Vita Ayala, a nonbinary black writer, is working on Age of X-Man: Prisoner X. I believe Seanan McGuire is Romani and she's working on Age of X-Man: Amazing Nightcrawler. Currently, those are the only two.
    This. Only examples I can think of. We got Chris Robinson, and Editor of color. But doesn't mean much. He was editing Weapon X but didn't seem to call out or put a stop to colorists making Monet a white woman when she's supposed to be brown.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 05-28-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I think the term 'of color' is not clear.

Do you mean Afro-Americans, or any taste that is not caucasian?

Because we did have plenty writers who their origins lay in Asia.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post

I even just watched one of those mini docs on the Marvel YT on the XMEN and I noticed it was just white after white after white.

But of course, correct me if I'm wrong. I also don't feel POC means instant success, they'd still have to be a good writer and understand a character, etc. But it's at a point where it is suspiciously glaring.
    Yes they are but none have broken out as a big thing so that is difference between "hey this cool idea can you use it" and Hickman level "hey cancel the X-men line"" I am using these characters" and editorial leaves you alone. That said Marvel is reaching outside to big name writers outside of the comic world so Ta-Nehisi Coates and Nnedi Okorafor are around at Marvel. It is only matter time one of them get on a X-man project imo. Vita Ayla is doing Prisoner X and she is pretty good. Saladin Ahmed did Exiles I hope he gets chance at bigger X-book because he always finds a way to emphasize poc and minorities well in his books.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post

Because we did have plenty writers who their origins lay in Asia.
    Like Akira Yoshida I hear he did some great stuff

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

Like Akira Yoshida I hear he did some great stuff
    his X-Men work was actually pretty darn good

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I don't do stuff like Google what the staff looks like and stalk -I mean- follow them on social media so I have no idea what race/gender some of these guys are.

Just gimme good stories. Gimme more Prisoner X with mean Gabby. And more Iron Heart. And take Moses Magnum out of that boring Shuri book.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Seanan is not a woman of color

nick spencer is not capturing the african american experience with any x-men yet, no
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Yeah, no one is buying them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Seanan is not a woman of color

She’s Romani. Take that how you will, but a lot of Romani are white-passing. It’s that same confusion that lead us to get Wendy Mayomoff in the MCU instead of an actual brown Romani woman.

Eh. Wanda, Pietro, their mum, Doom and his parents are white in the comics anyway.
    "Cable was right!"

Speaking of X-23 there's Mariko Tamaki.
    "Cable was right!"

Please understand the use of racist language will not be tolerated. If you don't know what I mean by that, educate yourself.
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Eh. Wanda, Pietro, their mum, Doom and his parents are white in the comics anyway.
    That’s why I loved Ahmed’s QS: No Surrender. I think he specifically asked th the colorist to make them brown. And then there was Doom in Gwenpool: