Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Apparently there are but...I am not reading their books. (I'm just not interested in the current line-up).
    Personally, I absolutely do not care what race or colour or gender the writer is...just give me a well-written, engaging and beauty-fully illustrated book.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Yes they are but none have broken out as a big thing so that is difference between "hey this cool idea can you use it" and Hickman level "hey cancel the X-men line"" I am using these characters" and editorial leaves you alone. That said Marvel is reaching outside to big name writers outside of the comic world so Ta-Nehisi Coates and Nnedi Okorafor are around at Marvel. It is only matter time one of them get on a X-man project imo. Vita Ayla is doing Prisoner X and she is pretty good. Saladin Ahmed did Exiles I hope he gets chance at bigger X-book because he always finds a way to emphasize poc and minorities well in his books.
    )
    POC writers not always get the same opportunities Hickman got when starting. It's much harder fo writers of color
    Vita Ayala is doing good work on Prisoner X

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    She’s Romani. Take that how you will, but a lot of Romani are white-passing. It’s that same confusion that lead us to get Wendy Mayomoff in the MCU instead of an actual brown Romani woman.
    She's still a Caucasian. She may have Romani roots but she's not a a part of a racial minority and not a representative of one in the writer staff

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    She's still a Caucasian. She may have Romani roots but she's not a a part of a racial minority and not a representative of one in the writer staff
    They aren’t really far off “roots” so far as her father is Romani. The Romani people are a racial and ethnic minority.

They aren’t really far off “roots” so far as her father is Romani. The Romani people are a racial and ethnic minority.
    Alright. I'll agree to disagree on her.. I dont need it, but do wish Marvel had more diversity in the creative staff, especially since Vita is doing wonders so far and thats one AoX creator that Id like to get an ongoing when the event is done

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Alright. I'll agree to disagree on her.. I dont need it, but do wish Marvel had more diversity in the creative staff, especially since Vita is doing wonders so far and thats one AoX creator that Id like to get an ongoing when the event is done
    Yeah, it’d be a colossal waste to just have Vita on for a mini. Prisoner X is definitely the breakout star of Age of X-Man and probably the whole X-Line right now.

get Christopher Priest involved. That would be a good look.
    But inevitably, nobody like him gets chosen, for "reasons".....

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    get Christopher Priest involved. That would be a good look.
    But inevitably, nobody like him gets chosen, for "reasons".....
    Priest (as Owsley) was an assistant editor in the 70's or 80's. But not now.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Priest only came back to Big Two books because DC gave him Deathstroke and Justice League shortly after. If Priest comes back it should be UXM or XM cuz I think he already worked on Spidey and Avengers.
    "Cable was right!"

She’s Romani. Take that how you will, but a lot of Romani are white-passing. It’s that same confusion that lead us to get Wendy Mayomoff in the MCU instead of an actual brown Romani woman.
    This is interesting in light of Meggan's speech about being romanichal in AoX:N.

Romani people are discriminated against and othered across Europe today.

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    And does it matter? Obviously, the best writer for the job should win. No matter what color.
    It’s almost like there’s systemic oppression across all levels of society that keeps POC who are the best person for the job from getting that job.

I’m done reading comics by white, straight men. To work, the X-men need to be under the creative control of someone who understands what it’s like to be considered ‘other’. The movie rights going to Disney is an open goal for the MCU to have LGBTQ representation in their movie output and in their directorial team.

For whatever reason, CC got all this.
    Last edited by Foon4000; 05-28-2019 at 12:06 PM.

I don't know about diversity in the x-line, nor do i care about it. If someone writes a good story, I'm in. I never think, I wonder what race this person is

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

For those who don't know or care, why post in the thread. Just posting to say "Don't know, don't care" isn't exactly constructive, doesn't contribute anything of note, nor answers the OP's curiosity.

IN any case, Saladin Ahmed is very good about diversity. He's Muslim and I think may be of Arab descent. Been a while since I looked him up after hearing he was on Exiles.

But he expanded on Blink's Bahamian roots, and showed her family to be black. She was stated to be from the Bahamas in one of the previous Exile runs, but her family was never explored. So Saladin had the chance to play with it & establish new canon, without any retcons. He even added King (exiles t'challa) to the new roster, along with Exiles Valkyrie, who was also black. So we got an Exiles team with 3 characters of color.

But we also got Peggy & Bucky as new team members as well. The latter who begins a relationship with Val. So that was a big step to take. Until the next writer comes along & starts killing off the gays and POC and taking things back to a more white status quo. lol

Then Saladin had Monet make a guest appearance in his Ms. Marvel run sometimes back where she's correctly brown.

But some creative teams keep that correct anyhow. Whenever Monet has been in something Bunn was working on, she was brown, and darker brown at that.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 05-28-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    For those who don't know or care, why post in the thread. Just posting to say "Don't know, don't care" isn't exactly constructive, doesn't contribute anything of note, nor answers the OP's curiosity.
    But why does race matter? why start the thread in the first place? Shouldn't it be about good stories?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

You don't have to be 'other" to be able to write about being 'other'.
    The fact that Claremont wrote a bunch of superheroes of all nationalities...successfully (objectively debatable), for decades, shows that any writer, White Black male female gay straight old young, can write about what it means to be 'other'...once they truly understand and empathise on some level what that actually means.
    And all one has to be is open-minded and open-hearted to the plight of their fellow man/woman and write from a place of understand and truth.
    Just because you are Black doesn't mean you can write black characters...look at Coates and Black Panther...same goes for if you are gay, or female or transgender.
    I would say that the mark of a truly good writer is to have his/her readers engage with and live and empathise with their characters, on multiple levels...regardless of who they (the literary characters) are.