Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I don't even know the race of most of the writers I read and I like it that way.
    Don't worry, most people don't. Even those who care can't decide if real life and fictional romani can or not have white skin.
    And let's not forget jewish writers. Jewish people with light skin are shrödinger pocs. They are either white people or poc, depending of who is talkling about them and what argument they want to make.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    That would fall under "parameters".
    That is still an experience (specific to one individual and not necessarily indicative of the whole, in this case, prison commune) understood outside and apart from the writer themselves. They would still have to do the research, beyond that one person/spouse/family/friend...even with a 'first hand' account from a second/third party. To my point...any writer worth their salt can/should/must do that...regardless if they're the same race they are writing about.

To personalise...I am Black, Male, Gay, from the Caribbean, but unless I do my research and look outside of myself, I cannot presume to speak/write for all Black men; all Black Gay men; all Black Gay Caribbean men. Because my singular experience (parts of which might be shared, yes) is just that, singular and is not a true representation of the whole BMGC community.

And...neither will my "background" make my stories more engaging or interesting (with all the research, even if they are relatable) if I don't properly hone my writing skills.
    That is under the presumption that the writer has not done research on the subject.Writers experience or research on certain subjects would vary depending on contributing factors. Writers have for years written about subjects without having experienced the situation first hand.I don't believe many minority writers write from the perspective that they speak for a entire minority group anymore than other writers.

The best person qualified for any job should be the choice. Period. If you have the experience, If you have the knowledge of the source material, and if have real interest in the medium then you should have the chance to be hired for Marvel and DC. Those are and should forever be the core hiring standards for those companies. The people who don't have that should be fired or not hired at all.

If people didn't go out of their way to google what people look like they would never know who was writing their books and probably be happier for it. This thread has post in it that boarder lines promoting segregation and flat out is racially defining who a person is by features they are born with. Nothing purely good can come from this discussion. Why? Because it's premise is based on WHAT people are not WHO people are. History has shown time and time again that line of thinking leads to one road and that is destruction.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 05-31-2019 at 05:09 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

These posts are always predictable, troll-ish people who act like they have legitimate arguments derailing the thread and the tap dancers who are always looking for pats on the back from certain people.

And yes it matters whether or not there are writers of color in this franchise, I'm tired of black and brown characters getting white-washed/skin-lightened; I want more minorities spotlighted, I want characters of color's racial, sexuality, and gender marginalizations to be acknowledged on top of the oppression of being a mutant, but most importantly I am over the trope where white characters are given abilities just so they can play dress up in race allegory and be oppressed (can the x-men and sci-fi shows/movies come up with something else) and I feel and know writers of color can simultaneously go beyond super-powered white characters that are oh so oppressed whilst giving me everything I stated above that I wanted

I also know that that unless those writers of color have actual power, are given actual freedom, and want to actually change the status quo nothing is gonna evolve so maybe it doesn't matter *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    The best person qualified for any job should be the choice. Period. If you have the experience, If you have the knowledge of the source material, and if have real interest in the medium then you should have the chance to be hired for Marvel and DC. Those are and should forever be the core hiring standards for those companies. The people who don't have that should be fired or not hired at all.

If people didn't go out of their way to google what people look like they would never know who was writing their books and probably be happier for it. This thread has post in it that boarder lines promoting segregation and flat out is racially defining who a person is by features they are born with. Nothing purely good can come from this discussion. Why? Because it's premise is based on WHAT people are not WHO people are. History has shown time and time again that line of thinking leads to one road and that is destruction.
    My eyes are rolling hard at this, this post can be summed up in a certain demographic's favorite quotes of all time.

"I don't see color"

"Why is race always brought up?"

"This is why there is racism" where they then try to make it seem like acknowledging that racism makes 'the starting line' different for certain people and therefore (in this particular case) has prevented poc from being "the best at the job" and/or that acknowledging racism at all is the problem.

Who knew acknowledging your differences and how the world treats you differently for it and how you would then have a better perspective on certain things over others is segregation ...hmm.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 05-31-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    These posts are always predictable, troll-ish people who act like they have legitimate arguments derailing the thread and the tap dancers who are always looking for pats on the back from certain people.

And yes it matters whether or not there are writers of color in this franchise, I'm tired of black and brown characters getting white-washed/skin-lightened; I want more minorities spotlighted, I want characters of color's racial, sexuality, and gender marginalizations to be acknowledged on top of the oppression of being a mutant, but most importantly I am over the trope where white characters are given abilities just so they can play dress up in race allegory and be oppressed (can the x-men and sci-fi shows/movies come with something else) and I feel and know writers of color can simultaneously go beyond super-powered white characters that are oh so oppressed whilst giving me everything I stated above that I wanted

I also know that that unless those writers of color have actual power, are given actual freedom, and want to actually change the status quo nothing is gonna evolve so maybe it doesn't matter *shrug*

My eyes are rolling hard at this, this post can be summed up in a certain demographic's favorite quotes of all time.

"I don't see color"

"Why is race always brought up?"

"This is why there is racism" where they then try to make it seem like acknowledging that racism makes 'the starting line' different for certain people and therefore (in this particular case) has prevented poc from being "the best at the job" and/or that acknowledging racism at all is the problem.

Who knew acknowledging your differences and how the world treats you differently for it and how you would then have a better perspective on certain things over others is segregation ...hmm.
    There is alot to unpack in this thread but the short and sweet of whatever I would say is that I feel sorry for you. And not for reasons you would you think. You have no idea what my experience is and if you’re American I can tell you its probably a heck of a lot worse then anything you have or will go through.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

There is alot to unpack in this thread but the short and sweet of whatever I would say is that I feel sorry for you. And not for reasons you would you think. You have no idea what my experience is and if you’re American I can tell you its probably a heck of a lot worse then anything you have or will go through.
    Don’t you have a Star Wars toy to go mutilate?

Yeah what I wrote wasn't an invitation for a response or a debate from an individual I know is not gonna get it.

Imagine thinking privilege and ensured safety starts and stops at your nationality. Black kids are getting unjustly shot by law enforcement, Indigenous people's reservations are being torn down by big oil companies, Brown immigrants are getting thrown in internment camps but HOLD THE PHONE, they're American so they should all shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    Don’t you have a Star Wars toy to go mutilate?
    What does this even mean?
    Yeah what I wrote wasn't an invitation for a response or a debate from an individual I know is not gonna get it.
    Your statement was condescending and incredibly assuming. My response to your first world response was that I felt sorry for you. There is no debate there. It's how I feel.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 05-31-2019 at 04:23 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    But why does race matter? why start the thread in the first place? Shouldn't it be about good stories?
    Yes it should be.

However when you have folks who take issue constantly with the sexuality or gender of the creative team BEFORE a preview let alone the actual product comes out-is where we have the issues.
    If we are about choose the best talent that does not mean only the best STRAIGHT WHITE MALE talent only. This is the issue.
    Folks are questioning why is that the default person doing books.

Folks want to hear from OTHER voices. In the quest to get something DIFFERENT. Mind you hiring more POC does not mean 100% success.

Examples-
    Black Panther's success has come under 3 black writers in comics and a black director in movies and a black writer for that Panther arc on Avengers cartoon.

Cyborg has had 3 black writers for his comics. His books sold WORST than Moon Girl. His trades sale are the WORST selling black hero trades on Amazon trailing Spawn & all black lead indie books.

Folks will bring up Milestone-while McDuffie was the EDITOR for all the books. Matt Wayne is a name that appears on a LOT of those books-Hardware, Icon & Shadow Cabinet. He's WHITE. Static had 4 female writers. Including the first BLACK woman to writer for a book under DC banner. That later became a Static Shock episode. He had 4 POC write him.

I think the gripe with X-Men is we are seeing way too much emphasis on the white characters. Folks were SPOILED from the diversity of New Mutants, Generation X & X-Men Academy.
    Where you saw POC be the center of storylines. Nobody was FORCED to do so. And NOBODY threw a fit.

X-Men was doing what OTHERS at Marvel and even DC was NOT doing-presenting decently written POC.
    Now the shoe is on the other foot.

You can't let Black Panther, Miles and other company out do you in well done POC. And the claims of being a "minority" allegory falls flat. Because as we have seen more folks still FEAR a POC than they do a mutant. Generation X showed that.

All my favorite comic writers just happen to be straight, white men -- but that's because there aren't enough of the "other" to choose from.
    Where is your evidence to support that?

There are PLENTY out there. It falls on Marvel to find them. Or ask the POC who already work for Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I would say that the mark of a truly good writer is to have his/her readers engage with and live and empathise with their characters, on multiple levels...regardless of who they (the literary characters) are.
    it's easy when it's the same basic characters
    Quote Originally Posted by mozzle View Post

To suggest that being black makes writing a black character more authentic is ridiculous without any context for the writer's upbringing. .
    what does someone's upbringing have to do with the writer being black? especially if it's the writers own story/character narrative
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Or ask the POC who already work for Marvel.
    Darryl still on his lunch break...

barely if at all

An frankly they don't seek them out.
    Last edited by OblivionX33; 06-01-2019 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

I think the gripe with X-Men is we are seeing way too much emphasis on the white characters. Folks were SPOILED from the diversity of New Mutants, Generation X & X-Men Academy.
    Where you saw POC be the center of storylines. Nobody was FORCED to do so. And NOBODY threw a fit.

X-Men was doing what OTHERS at Marvel and even DC was NOT doing-presenting decently written POC.
    Now the shoe is on the other foot.

You can't let Black Panther, Miles and other company out do you in well done POC. And the claims of being a "minority" allegory falls flat. Because as we have seen more folks still FEAR a POC than they do a mutant. Generation X showed that.
    Just wanted to quote this ....
    TRUTH OVERFLOWING

You are now guilty of the same thing you just soft balled the poster for. You assumed they could never relate to you cause your life experience was worse than theirs...? How about giving some serious, solid validation to their points being made. Then work toward a common understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    You are now guilty of the same thing you just soft balled the poster for. You assumed they could never relate to you cause your life experience was worse than theirs...? How about giving some serious, solid validation to their points being made. Then work toward a common understanding.
    Actually, that is false. The poster sided handling condescended me personally while assuming and placing words into my mouth. I never even addressed said poster before hand .

Also, there aren't points to to counteract. The poster said as much here.
    The post was written so that it wouldn't or couldn't be refuted.

If you read the earlier post you would see that the phrasing in the "argument " is mostly to take some manner of moral superiority while hiding behind phrasing that if pressed opens that person to automatic negative response. It's a low form conversing in most cultures. Where the "opposer" places a person in a situation where they are the "bad guy" no matter what stance they take unless they fully agree. It's a tactic typically used by those who are to fearful to stand firmly in whatever they are saying but still want to look good/above it all. The exchange is similar to trying to force a Pacifist in to saying all Nazi's should be killed on site and when he disagrees, he is a accused of being a Nazi sympathizer.

And that is just the tip of the iceberg. All in all it's not worth fully engaging in because from my experience the way the lines of rhetoric that are being thrown at me have mostly been from people who have too much and appreciate too little.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 06-01-2019 at 06:48 PM.