Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Interesting. It plays a good tribute to Perez. I wonder should Bana's ever get immortality?

As long as we are on the subject on the Amazons and the gods, back when Marston wrote Wonder Woman the focus was on Aphrodite and Ares. With time, Athena became more important, and she was arguably the central deity for Pérez and Rucka's first run. With Azzarello, the main deities were Ares, Hermes, and Apollo.

I've been reading up more on classical mythology, and apart from the gaping hole that is forgetting Hestia, there is the erasure of Artemis. Because the "real" Amazons were associated not only with Ares by the Greeks, but even more with Artemis. Not only was she noted as Diana's godmother in WW #1, not only did she give her Roman name to Wonder Woman, the Amazons are noted as the people who built the original temple of Artemis in Ephesus, the third version of which was one of the seven wonder of the world. Several other shrines and temples to Artemis are attributed to various Amazons.

Some other analysis seems to imply that the Ephesian Artemis was distinct from the Greek Artemis, and from the description she seems to have more in common with Demeter—another distinctly underused goddess. Especially since she was not only the goddess of agriculture and vegetation, but also of the laws.

My very personal list of the gods and goddesses important to the Amazons and Diana would be rather different from what DC tells us: Hestia, Demeter, and Aphrodite as the three most important, Artemis next, and probably then Athena, Hera, Hephaistos, and Hermes next.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Hestia and Artemis did pop up more or less in Marstons run. Though in Artemis' case she changed her name to Diana. The Amazons were established in his run to celebrate the winter solstice as 'dianas day' in celebration of her. She even pops up in a storyline where its established that she lives in a temple in the middle of a forest on the moon while being attended to by her nymphs who are all expert archers.

Hestias established to have the harvest holiday dedicated to her which also doubles as a mothers day. Though she doesn't actually appear sadly

With the male gods I can see the Blacksmith god and Hades.