Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default After Issue 85, Do You Think That They Will Relaunch Batman With a New #1?

Tom King's run seems to be self contained (apart from some occasions of course such as The Button). His final issue seems to be a great deal so is it possible to see a new relaunched Batman with a #1 just what they did with Superman after Tomasi's run?

Mighty Member

Depends on who is taking over next. If it's Bendis taking over (or someone equivalently well known), they'll probably relaunch. If it's a filler run (not knocking the specific writer, but someone just running the show for awhile while editorial figures out who to hand the reins to), they'll keep the numbering.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Depends on who is taking over next. If it's Bendis taking over (or someone equivalently well known), they'll probably relaunch. If it's a filler run (not knocking the specific writer, but someone just running the show for awhile while editorial figures out who to hand the reins to), they'll keep the numbering.
    I thought this was determined to be filler since this was such a sudden change. Did I miss something?

Honestly I don’t know. The whole Bat line is a mess, and DC seems rather asleep at the wheel with it. Most the books range for mediocre to worse thing on the selves. King’s Batman, as divisive as it is, is the only real stand out. And maybe Jones Catwoman.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 05-28-2019 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I thought this was determined to be filler since this was such a sudden change. Did I miss something?
    Well, King's run ends at issue #85, which likely won't be out until late December?

There's still time for DC to put together a once-a-month run starting with issue #86 that doesn't necessarily have to be just "filler".

As for ending the run at #85 and starting over with a new #1, that would seem awfully silly when they're that close to an even more impressive "issue #100", but you never know.

As for the example of Tomasi's Superman run being followed by a new Superman #1 by Bendis, Tomasi only made it to issue #45 before that ended. After that, wasn't there the six-issue The Man of Steel run prior to relaunching Superman for Bendis with a new #1 issue?

I would rather they went back to the original numbering. So #86 would be #851 I think.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I would rather they went back to the original numbering. So #86 would be #851 I think.
    They have "original" numbering with Detective Comics. To just suddenly redo Batman's numbering after issue #85 would also seem silly when they could wait until after issue #100 before considering such a move. (And, really, if they do that for Batman, they would really need to do it for Superman and for Wonder Woman at the same time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Honestly I don’t know. The whole Bat line is a mess. Most the books range for mediocre to worse thing on the selves. King’s Batman, as divisive as it is, is the only real stand out. And maybe Jones Catwoman.
    Good point. Seems like its time for a new Batfam editor. I'm not up to date with whats going on in the office, but it seems like a mess.

'Member back when we had that editor from when Grayson started. He seemed to have a knack from bringing quality while also having each book have a unique voice. Man. I miss those days.

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    Good point. Seems like its time for a new Batfam editor. I'm not up to date with whats going on in the office, but it seems like a mess.

'Member back when we had that editor from when Grayson started. He seemed to have a knack from bringing quality while also having each book have a unique voice. Man. I miss those days.
    Was that the editor that King forced out because of an artist disagreement?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Was that the editor that King forced out because of an artist disagreement?
    I could be wrong, but I don't think so. It was the editor that decided to have King and Seeley work together after the two of them pitched to separate editors. That was a stroke of genius, or at least it panned out better than could have been dreamed.

I was under the impression King and Seeley only left Grayson to start working on their rebirth stories.

That would be such a dumb move especially considering the fact that it's close to #100.
    Even if it was issue at issue 50/60/etc. I still wouldn't re-number because this isn't Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    They have "original" numbering with Detective Comics. To just suddenly redo Batman's numbering after issue #85 would also seem silly when they could wait until after issue #100 before considering such a move. (And, really, if they do that for Batman, they would really need to do it for Superman and for Wonder Woman at the same time.)
    I wish they would!
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

They’ll have to if they want it to sell.

Initially I thought they'd wait until #100 to reset, but with the book going monthly it would end up being 2022 before it hits that number. All depends on if DC feels they can sell more of a new #1 issue or an issue #100 one.

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Depends on who is taking over next. If it's Bendis taking over (or someone equivalently well known), they'll probably relaunch.
    Not necessarily. Action Comics kept it's legacy numbering when Bendis took it over. Still a possibility as they relaunched the non-legacy Superman and Detective is the one that has the legacy numbering, but an absolute conclusion.

And if it is Bendis, I don't see him jumping on right away. I don't see him taking over until Event Leviathan ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    They’ll have to if they want it to sell.
    Unless you're inferring that people will drop the book after King leaves, it already sells. It sells better than 95% of the books on the market. Selling less than it once did =/= low sales. Most books would kill to get the same sales it has.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

If they're going to reboot the numbering, I move to resume the classic numbering at # 714 from the original series that ended with the New 52 reboot.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014