Default Let's fix it: Doomsday Clock

First of all, I love the series, I've always been a fan of the dynamic (in this case it's ironic I know) duo. However, there's always room for improvement.
    Tomorrow issue #10 will hit the shelves and after that we have still got 2 more issues.

Okay, so the idea of the thread is basically what YOU think should have been/should be incorporated into the series and/or what should have been left out.
    What I've jotted down could still happen making my point moot, but it's still interesting to highlight some thoughts regardless what will happen in these final 3 issues. Moreover, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Anways, let's just start.

My main problem:

- Superman should have (had) a more prominent rol (scratch that, even pivotal) in this series. Ever since the end of The Button storyline, this story was hyped-up as the ultimate face-off between Superman and Doctor Manhattan. I can hear the battle forum users yelling already: But mah feats.
    Yeah yeah I know, physical battle wouldn't last long but it doesn't have to be a battle of brawns, instead a battle of brains could happen. All of this could happen in the last 3 issue, but it feels like Superman took a seat for other character in the previous issue (barring the issue with Firestorm).

Other picks:

- Mime/Marionette storyline was prolonged imo, it could have been dealt with in fewer issues. I'd have incorporated Flash, let Barry have a role.

- Barry(looking for clues for Jay) and Hal (looking for Alan) on a mission in order to find the missing JSA members.

- Leave out the new Rorscach. While I love the idea of Rorscach, I think it'd be more interesting if the Comedian approached Batman and the subsequent consequences of his beaviour.

What are your ideas? How would you "fix" it?

PS. I do think the many many delays did kill the momentum for me and many other users, therefore forgetting bits of the storyline. Alas, it is what it is.

Astonishing Member

As pointed out we have 3 issues to go, so some of this may be addressed in those.

More of a tie-in to the DCU. Wally West's return launched Rebirth and this was the next part of that story, so why isn't Wally (or at least his memories) a major part of this? The same with Tim Drake's captivity and Jor-El's role as Mr. Oz? And in the DCU we should be getting some synergy with the revelations about the "Superman Theory" and its impact on international relations showing up in the regular books as we close in on lining up the timeline of Doomsday Clock and the rest of the books.

Not having this all take place while DC is also pushing Metal and it's fallout. The revelations in Justice League sort of undercut anything in this book as Doctor M's actions are more of a footnote now in comparison. It just seems counterproductive to have two storylines remapping the DCU at once.

Personally I'd have had more use of the Charleton heroes. Put Vic Sage in the role of Lois as the guy finding out about the JSA. Play up Captain Atom as a US agent (possibly unaware of the truth) trying to deal with Firestorm. Have Marionette/Mime encounter the Ted Kord Blue Beetle and dismiss him as "a Night Owl wanna-be".

Of course, all that would make this a different story than Geoff Johns planned.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Other than the fitful release schedule, I don't find much to be fixed. I could do with less graphic violence, but that's just me and some of it probably just fits the general tone of the story.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

The one story related change I'd make is to definitely state whether or not Watchmen exosts as a comic book in the current DC Universe. It could certainly work either way, but Barry and Jay's early interactions would make a team of heroes from a comic book universe an appropriate meta-throwback.

Have Kieron Gillen write it.

Actually put the issues out on time. We don't have the whole story yet so I don't know what "needs" fixing yet.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

I'm not happy about the resuraction of Comedian... Marionet is poor guy's Harley Quinn. I like the new Rorscach. Finally there is character of color as big a name as Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman and The legacy lives again. After the return of Barry, legacy was dead but it lives again with Rorscach. Geoff tries his best, so i cut him some slack but Batman putting new Rorscach in the arkham while the new Rorscach made it in to the Wayne Manor even if all the security and knew Batman was Bruce Wayne was not very smart... How can Batman do such a stupid thing... he should have hold Rorscach in the batcave in some cage lol Till Batman figured out what was the deal here... I just read 4 issues so far, abit late to the party but not too late. This is not Alan Moore level, but it's ok so far, i enjoy it even if the flaws.
    Last edited by Gurz; 05-28-2019 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Other than the fitful release schedule, I don't find much to be fixed. I could do with less graphic violence . . .
    Haven't read it, so I honestly don't the answer, but how does it compare to all the casual murder, maiming, and general mayhem in Johns' Infinite Crisis?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Haven't read it, so I honestly don't the answer, but how does it compare to all the casual murder, maiming, and general mayhem in Johns' Infinite Crisis?

No where near as bad so far.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics