Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Age of X-Man: The X-Tremists #4 (spoilers/discussion)

Highlights from this issue:

- Jean-Paul frequenting a “historic” theater that’s been illegally showing romance pictures. Said theater being run by Rictor.

- Jean-Paul using his position in Dept. X to give Rictor a heads-up about Dept. X catching wind of things.

- Rictor calling Bobby a “twunk”. XD

- Bobby in general. His behavior is very “tag-along little brother”, and his attempts at being supportive are stumbling at first, but in a way that suggests he’s just not used to relating to people without his shield of humor. It’s really sincerely sweet by the end.

- Newly reconditioned Moneta being even creepier than basic Moneta. What. The. ****?

- Jean-Paul, Rictor, and Bobby drunk-cuddling while JP poured his heart out. I just… I needed a moment.

- Jean-Paul describing his heartache over missing Kyle, and not even knowing for sure what it was he’d lost to make him feel so hollow. That’s where I drowned in my own damn feels. Please stop/don’t stop torturing my fave!

- Jubilee, back to original settings and ready to burn this bitch down.

- That final shot. Go do some damage, boys! <3

I’ve enjoyed the exploration of what having holes as big as a lifetime in your memory has done to these particular characters, and this issue wasn’t an exception. We’re also in the home stretch now, seeing Nate’s hold fall apart over the different AoXM series, and his most feared enforcers having the scales fall from their eyes has been a long time coming. Now we just have to see how Fred and Betsy react, which I am very much looking forward to.

The art continues to be something of a stumbling block with this book, though. It's never felt like Jeanty really got comfortable with these characters or the setting, and while some panels look just fine, we still get way too many occurrences of stiff figures and off-kilter expressions. Sometimes, I see how the X-Tremists team looks over in books like NextGen, and just sigh longingly. Oh, well.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 05-29-2019 at 06:14 AM.

Extraordinary Member

This was a fun read, especially that part with Jubilee. You go, Mama Jubilee!

Did I see Moneta get attack by an Apocalypse group? Do you think she is the murdered person mentioned in Marvelous X-men?

This was a solid issue, They hit all the right notes except wrath. If Northstar had good I am going to mess up Nate speech I would rate it higher.

So did all 3 of them figure out something is wrong or just Jubilee? Also did they get glimpses of the real world? How did that happen?

Sorry I am reading it later but I want to be spoiled lol

Well this issue isnt what Leah hyped it up to be

I came into the issue ready to be angry at Northstar banging Icetwunk but I came out happy that JP's love for Kyle transcends time and space.

Is "twunk" refering "twink" ?

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WildR View Post
    Is "twunk" refering "twink" ?
    No two different terms. A "twunk" is a twink with muscles.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Should've come up with a better word lol
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Well this issue isnt what Leah hyped it up to be
    I'm a fan of Leah's, but this absolutely isn't her best work like I had hoped it would be. For all the hype surrounding this issue especially I just found the revelations dropped like casual conversation. "Oh yeah, suddenly I remember everything let's blow things up"

I'm glad for what this book represents, but dang if I wish if it didn't read better.

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    I'm a fan of Leah's, but this absolutely isn't her best work like I had hoped it would be. For all the hype surrounding this issue especially I just found the revelations dropped like casual conversation. "Oh yeah, suddenly I remember everything let's blow things up"

I'm glad for what this book represents, but dang if I wish if it didn't read better.
    Same. I appreciate her grasp of characters and ideas, but the execution is kinda wonky. I'd prefer some buildup like Nezumi giving birth and Jubilee remembering Shogo, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    now this is some deep lore
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Well, I like this book all along.
    But my views about Williams' writing is a little complicated, every issue seems to mainly focus on a paticular couple of characters, and I admit I like the specific descriptions, like Bloblock's hanging together. But somehow the book lacks holistic explanations. I can't believe the whole issue 2 just refused to explain why they decided to chain a preganant woman in the basement and seem to keep it as a secret, especially she means a lot to the whole AoXM universe. And also Blob's devotion to Betsy, JP just caught by a abrupt depression in this issue, though he told us "Ah, in fact I'm haunted from the beginning!"
    Maybe Williams decided to save words to write things like Betsy's confusing memories, Blob's lover-prattle and French dialogues, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Thanks.

Fantastic Member

In case anyone important is paying attention, more books with Jubilee burning this motherf*cker to the ground, please.