Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Member Supreme Morsoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    151

    Default Could Bruce Wayne reveal that he's Batman?

    I was asking myself...

    Could Bruce Wayne reveal himself as Batman, like Iron Man did, and be done with the secret identity? I mean, it's not like Alfred or everybody else could be more in danger, they already faced multiples attacks already!

    I think that the secret identities in DC gets old... most of Marvel heroes are known by the public, and it's not really worst...

    What do you think?

  2. #2
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,200

    Default

    Yes he could...and then immediately be arrested and waiting trial as a vigilante. Never mind there are still heroes in Marvel with secret IDs (Spider-Man typically, Iron Man typically [yes, he usually has a secret ID despite the MCU as I understand it, or at least he did not sure about right now though]). But yeah, if you expose the identity you're going to have to resolve or drop all instances of "vigilante bad" that has cropped up from time to time in some Bat stories.

  3. #3
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morsoth View Post
    I was asking myself...

    Could Bruce Wayne reveal himself as Batman, like Iron Man did, and be done with the secret identity? I mean, it's not like Alfred or everybody else could be more in danger, they already faced multiples attacks already!

    I think that the secret identities in DC gets old... most of Marvel heroes are known by the public, and it's not really worst...

    What do you think?
    I think taking away the Bruce Wayne SECRET identity would be stupid. Part of the mystery of Batman is that most people don't know who he is. Once they knew he was Bruce Wayne, how many attacks would be made on Wayne Manor? How many missiles, etc. would be launched at it?
    Also, since most people don't know Bruce is Batman, he can learn things as Bruce that people wouldn't reveal to him if they knew he was Batman.

    Just because Marvel is too lazy to keep secret identities for many of their characters doesn't mean it's a good idea.

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    3,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Yes he could...and then immediately be arrested and waiting trial as a vigilante. Never mind there are still heroes in Marvel with secret IDs (Spider-Man typically, Iron Man typically [yes, he usually has a secret ID despite the MCU as I understand it, or at least he did not sure about right now though]). But yeah, if you expose the identity you're going to have to resolve or drop all instances of "vigilante bad" that has cropped up from time to time in some Bat stories.
    This. The reason why Gordon was always coy about Batman to other people and often shown that he knows Batman's identity but pretend to not know is that he's The Good Cop and vigilante breaks the law. He'd have to arrest Bruce, not to mention his own daughter.

    Also, it's not practical now. When it's only Alfred, Dick and the Gordons maybe they can handle it, but with so many kids, extended families, and those extended families have friends and families, that just won't do. It's the difference between being attacked once in a while by people who're a bit smarter and 100% by everyone all the time.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-15-2019 at 08:00 PM.

  5. #5
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,781

    Default

    It's the one place they haven't gone in any modern, main continuity comic book starring Batman. I almost dare them to try.

    Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

    First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

    First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

  6. #6
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,592

    Default

    There are numerous problems that would arise from Batman's identity being public:

    - Wayne Enterprises would get torn apart by legal fees and Supervillains. Bruce would probably lose the company.

    - Bruce would have to go under to avoid arrest and attacks on the manor. There are apparently outstanding arrest warrants for every Batfamily member that never get acted on thanks to Gordon's policies but I don't think that would abide if they were outed. If Bruce gets outed it's probably only a short while before people figure out who every other vigilante is due to their association with Bruce Wayne.

    - "Bruce Wayne" would probably die. I mean, the Bruce the public sees is usually partially fake but it gives Bruce an excuse to actually do something as Bruce Wayne instead of being Batman.

  7. #7
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    It's the one place they haven't gone in any modern, main continuity comic book starring Batman. I almost dare them to try.
    DON'T GOIVE THEM IDEAS!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There are numerous problems that would arise from Batman's identity being public:

    - Wayne Enterprises would get torn apart by legal fees and Supervillains. Bruce would probably lose the company.
    Can't remember how they resolved those legal issues when Bruce revealed Wayne Enterprises was backing Batman in Batman Incorporated . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    - Bruce would have to go under to avoid arrest and attacks on the manor. There are apparently outstanding arrest warrants for every Batfamily member that never get acted on thanks to Gordon's policies but I don't think that would abide if they were outed. If Bruce gets outed it's probably only a short while before people figure out who every other vigilante is due to their association with Bruce Wayne.
    Can't remember how Nightwing's identity being revealed as Dick Grayson impacted the vigilante community in Forever Evil . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    - "Bruce Wayne" would probably die. I mean, the Bruce the public sees is usually partially fake but it gives Bruce an excuse to actually do something as Bruce Wayne instead of being Batman.
    Didn't Bruce toy with the idea of ending his Bruce Wayne identity and being just Batman in the "Murder/Fugitive" arc a while back?

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member Starter Set's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,665

    Default

    Could make a fun elseworld story.

  9. #9
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Could make a fun elseworld story.
    This I wouldn't mind seeing. An in continuity story however? No thank you. I'm really not interested in seeing Neron or whoever DC's equivalent of Mephisto putting that genie back in the bottle by the end of the arc.
    His current approval rating is 34%, meaning 34% of Americans are still morons.

  10. #10
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Could make a fun elseworld story.
    Kind of what they're doing with the White Knight universe, I believe.

  11. #11
    Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    This I wouldn't mind seeing. An in continuity story however? No thank you. I'm really not interested in seeing Neron or whoever DC's equivalent of Mephisto putting that genie back in the bottle by the end of the arc.
    I dunno, I wouldn't mind it if it was the last major arc prior to a line wide reboot of some sort. It could allow whoever ends up writing it to really have some fun with the idea without worrying about how to put all the toys back in the toy box once their done playing since everything would be getting reset anyway.

  12. #12
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,084

    Default

    OP Question - Not without terrible repercussions both foreseeable and unforeseeable for everyone involved directly and indirectly, not to mention the dire effects such a revelation would likely have on Gotham City itself.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  13. #13
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    I dunno, I wouldn't mind it if it was the last major arc prior to a line wide reboot of some sort. It could allow whoever ends up writing it to really have some fun with the idea without worrying about how to put all the toys back in the toy box once their done playing since everything would be getting reset anyway.
    IMHO, it might as well be an Elseworlds then if it doesn't have any major repercussions on future storylines.
    His current approval rating is 34%, meaning 34% of Americans are still morons.

  14. #14
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,247

    Default

    I think it would be a major mistake.

    Batman isn't a tech bro, he's a gothic detective.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

  15. #15
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morsoth View Post
    I was asking myself...

    Could Bruce Wayne reveal himself as Batman, like Iron Man did, and be done with the secret identity? I mean, it's not like Alfred or everybody else could be more in danger, they already faced multiples attacks already!

    I think that the secret identities in DC gets old... most of Marvel heroes are known by the public, and it's not really worst...

    What do you think?
    Class.Action.Lawsuit

    Batman would lose everything.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •