Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Batman's Grave by Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch

Seems DC is firing all cylinders at the end of the year, with one more maxi-series (12 issues) : https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-batman-grave-ellis-hitch/

It seems intriguing, however, if a little ominous, perhaps.

Astonishing Member

I would prefer something more trans-humanist if they are going to reunite Ellis/Hitch.

I wonder if this rules out Ellis as the fill-in writer for the main book until they have a new major team set in after King leaves.

Seems like I will buy this.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Instant buy for me.

Definite non-buy for me.

I haven't really "experienced" much Warren Ellis before, but the one thing he wrote that I did buy and read (Project Superpowers: Blackcross published by Dynamite) wasn't worth my time or money when all was said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Definite non-buy for me.

I haven't really "experienced" much Warren Ellis before, but the one thing he wrote that I did buy and read (Project Superpowers: Blackcross published by Dynamite) wasn't worth my time or money when all was said and done.
    If you are a fan of the "Big Picture..." when it comes to "Comics" as a whole, it might be worth it to look into Planetary.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Definite non-buy for me.

Supreme: Blue Rose is really good. I think it's my favorite Ellis joint. Tula Lotay's art really enhances it.

I'm not sure you'd dig it, Major- but it might be worth looking it. You can find the issues pretty cheap.

Definite non-buy for me.

I recommend you Planetary. I don't think you're going to like a lot of his works, but I think you may enjoy Planetary.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 07-17-2019 at 02:15 PM.

Definite non-buy for me.

Ellis is quite variable, so I wouldn't write him off after one bad book.

When he's on form (Stormwatch, Transmetropolitan, Planetary) he really is excellent.

Never been much of a Wildstorm guy . . . I wasn't really buying much in terms of comic books between 1995 and 2009/2010.

I have bought some tpb collection from then, but more of DC proper and Marvel.

So you read one comic by a guy who’s been in the industry for like 30 years and wrote him off completely based on one book? Seems kinda silly.

Planetary/Batman was a fun read if its more like that and his moon knight stuff then I'm sold

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    So you read one comic by a guy who’s been in the industry for like 30 years and wrote him off completely based on one book? Seems kinda silly.
    Writer wrote X and I didn't like it which means anything else he writes will be written off forever is common among comic readers

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Planetary/Batman was a fun read if its more like that and his moon knight stuff then I'm sold
    If you liked his Moon Knight, try Injection. Same tone and mood, same creative team.

And check Transmetropolitan if you didn't (edit: but you probably did already so nevermind). Alongside with Planetary, probably his best work imho. Pretty critical about stuff we're currently living through, even if the story is pretty much Cyberpunk. And that book is almost 20 years old already.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 07-17-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Well, if a try another series by him and I don't like that one, either, I'll really feel like I've wasted my time trying it!

Besides, my tastes often don't match up with others here . . . that's why I'm barely buying any new stuff these days, and the few things I have liked don't seem to last long. So the simple answer is, I have no reason why I would want to try this new book. (The fact that I'm also not as enamored with Hitch's artwork as others seem to be doesn't help, either.)