Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Results 136 to 150 of 150

Thread: Identity Crisis

  1. #136
    Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2,859

    Default

    Josai and CS, the Damian skills that his back story told was a list of mentor Talia forced on Damian that made him able to drive at the age of 5, write a dissertation at the age of 8, and as a Robin, moved his liver to a side for a bit so Dr. Hurt didn't stab it.

    It's ridiculous, plain and simple, but it's not more ridiculous than Batman solving and making anything by saying "I'm Batman", building a Batcave on the moon, and climbing out of a jet engine after being stabbed in the gut and starved for seven days.

    It's a comic book thing, and in both Damian and Bruce's case, they became more a running gag than anything. If you take it seriously, then yeah, it's a Sue. If you don't, and I don't think you're supposed to, it's just a gag.

  2. #137
    Extraordinary Member TheCape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Venezuela
    Posts
    6,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Josai and CS, the Damian skills that his back story told was a list of mentor Talia forced on Damian that made him able to drive at the age of 5, write a dissertation at the age of 8, and as a Robin, moved his liver to a side for a bit so Dr. Hurt didn't stab it.

    It's ridiculous, plain and simple, but it's not more ridiculous than Batman solving and making anything by saying "I'm Batman", building a Batcave on the moon, and climbing out of a jet engine after being stabbed in the gut and starved for seven days.

    It's a comic book thing, and in both Damian and Bruce's case, they became more a running gag than anything. If you take it seriously, then yeah, it's a Sue. If you don't, and I don't think you're supposed to, it's just a gag.
    I still laugh about that one, i think that at this point DC stoped pretending that the batfamily is "just human"
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

    "I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

  3. #138
    Extraordinary Member dietrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    7,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by josai21 View Post
    Yeah just gonna disagree. Did a brief scan of them and still feels unearned and pointless. I don't consider those comics as important or ones that matter for my interpretation. You may view them as important and in canon. I don't. And it doesn't matter. DC's goal is to maintain the status quo that will get them readers and viewers. In order to tell a good story though, they need a definitive ending to Batman..which they will never do.

    So, I readwhat I like and disregard what I don't.

    Damian is a bad character and his talent is unearned based on what I have read and interpreted. You're not going to change my mind. And I'm not going to change yours. Our views are equally valid.

    If we were discussing math or science or morality etc. then I would agree there needs to be objectivity. But we aren't. We're discussing a form of entertainment that is slowly dying due to its inability to adhere to good story-telling standards (in addition to the digital age which is more of a reason than simply storytelling).

    So...it is subjective.

    You can argue Tim is going to make a bad batman by your standards. Your view is as equally valid as mine and I'm not going to try to change your mind. In the world of comics, there is no objectivity. If they wanted there to be, Bruce would've stayed dead and Dick and Damian would have continued as Batman and Robin.
    The comics that @Arctic listed are clearly some examples of Batman teaming up with Jason, Dick and Duke. Not titles that show Damian's training.

    And since your views re based on those comics you just scanned then your views are wrong since you are looking at the wrong comics.

    Read the correct comics then make up your mind. That's if you are at all interested in approaching this with an open mind.
    Last edited by dietrich; 07-19-2019 at 05:34 AM.

  4. #139
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I get the passion, just feel that you were exaggerating some things. I agreed that Tim shouldn't be Batman and that i do like the idea of him retiring, although i also kind of partial to him becoming a private investigator that resolve mysteries for fun or at least put him in something more akin to Gotham Central, because Noir is something that the batbooks don't do much these days. I just don't think that Damian is responsible for a lot of the changes, the only one that really benefited for his creation were Dick and Steph (i would like to say Bruce, but i think that is just matter of time before he get into the same emotional abuse that he has been inflicting on his allies since the turn of the century), the rest weren't really that affected.

    As for Cass and the league, i always though that Talia simply send her against Nyssa as a way to get revenge on her for what happened the Death and the Maidens (and i'm the only one that remember the disturbing deaths and resurrections with Nyssa embracing and naked Talia at the end?) and then keep her around because someone with her skill is an useful aset, makes more sense to me than that was her motivation and nothing indicated that Cass meet Damian there when she was under mind-control, especially because according to Beechen mini, Cass was only the leader of an small cell, not the entire league. Chances are that she found about him soon after recovering and never really interacted until Gates of Gotham.
    Since Tim being the best detective is the way that everyone wants to go with it, then maybe what DC needs to do is get a writer who can write thrillers and instead of sending Tim up against the showy, flashy, end of the world, organized and networked super villains and have him go after serial killers. More importantly, identifying the victims of serial killers, which is where when we examine him as Robin and a potential Batman he fails: Tim has a tendency to focus on the crimes, and not helping the people they hurt (including himself).

    It's a stark contrast from Damian, who is motivated by trying to redeem himself for the lives he has destroyed and the times he's failed to save someone; Dick who views Robin as catching people when they fall, and ensuring that every victim knows there is someone who cares and will come for the; Jason who was benched as Robin because he couldn't handle that some people can hurt others and not face justice or be stopped; Stephanie realized that no one cared or noticed besides her; Barbara who cared and noticed, and had the will to do what was needed; Cassandra with blood on her hands like Damian, who needs to wash it away via stopping others; Duke who was actually manipulated by the Joker and others into a Robin role, who does it because he needs to find the people who are hurt and alone in the dark. Tim decided to become Robin because Batman wasn't doing what Tim expected him to do. He wanted, as we know from Jean Paul Valley's time, the excitement of it, of being special, of having people respect him.

    Having him get back to the roots of what Batman and Robin is, putting him into a tightly controlled Noir with real life type serial killers, no illusions of being redeemed or coming back after being caught, Clarice Starling with Hannibal Lector type stories, would be immensely good reading if done well. Not flashy, not sexy, and not even the villain at the center of the story. Just Tim looking for the victims, seeking out justice. Think about the serial killer up in Anchorage back in 2012. No one knows who all his victims are, and he gloated over the fact that there were innocent people on death row for his murders. Have Tim go up against that, show him using all his skill to back track and exonerate those people, and you get him back to what the core of Batman is: not the crimes or the criminals, not Batman loves Catwoman, Batman is a paranoid abuser. No. That's not what Batman is. Batman is a person who finds the victims, and then brings justice for their families.

    Yes, you are the only one who remembers how Talia got mentally, emotionally, and spiritually broken in Death and the Maidens. It's just like most people have forgotten that Red Hood the Lost Days jumped the shark and made no sense when Talia started the whole Hush storyline by sleeping with Jason in revenge for Bruce burning her father's body despite her father being alive in Hush. Or that Bruce and Selina are considered good parents for raising Helena in a similar way to how Damian was raised, sans killing, and as we know from flashbacks in Worlds' Finest and 2012's The Huntress, unlike Damian she didn't have the drive or desire, and begged not to go through the training. Or that Scott Snyder took the already dark story of Bruce and Talia's first meeting, which Morrison made clear what had just been implied about Darrk intended to rape Talia and force her into prostitution and sex slavery, and upped it by establishing that Ra's brought Darrk back to control Damian's gestation and oversee the storage of the clones along with Talia and Damian's bodies. We read Bane of the Demon and note that she submits to sex after initially refusing, but we don't call it rape or dub con, and we ignore that she later spends several issues in a state of terror.

    Why? Because viewing Talia as a victim who tries and fails to escape the cycle of abuse and becomes an abuser herself takes us out of escapism and back into real life. Because there are several points where Talia asks Bruce for help, or as in Death and the Maidens, he could have warned her and he chooses not to provide aid to her because he needs her in the dark. He knows that she's generally keeping things in check and feeds him information, if she did a heel face turn like the Sirens do, then he's SOL when it comes to Ra's and other planners. Which makes him complicit in the abuse that both Talia and Damian go through, and that's not a comfortable place for readers to be in. At least, not teenagers and children who need the world in black and white. Adult readers, who DC needs to and doesn't want to court, eat that up because that's what life is and reading it establishes control.

  5. #140
    Caperucita Roja Zaresh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Josai and CS, the Damian skills that his back story told was a list of mentor Talia forced on Damian that made him able to drive at the age of 5, write a dissertation at the age of 8, and as a Robin, moved his liver to a side for a bit so Dr. Hurt didn't stab it.

    It's ridiculous, plain and simple, but it's not more ridiculous than Batman solving and making anything by saying "I'm Batman", building a Batcave on the moon, and climbing out of a jet engine after being stabbed in the gut and starved for seven days.

    It's a comic book thing, and in both Damian and Bruce's case, they became more a running gag than anything. If you take it seriously, then yeah, it's a Sue. If you don't, and I don't think you're supposed to, it's just a gag.
    This will never not amuse me. It is ridiculous, really. I think it could actually be even more ridiculous that Batman building a cave in the Moon, which is something really, really, really ridiculous unless it involves the UN and the League and probably some other big organization.
    Damian is made to be "That cool character who could do whatever imposible task the best", which, true, it's not making him a Gary Stu; but he's meant to be a, maybe, power fantasy for kids? And that's making him a bit stuck-up? (I had to look up this word in a dictionary. I hope it's the right one) for me, and makes me dislike when he's written that way.

    Just my two cents in this discussion.
    This is a signature. It has letters on it, and those letters form words. Words like these. I will not quote anything because I'm uninspired but, I read a lot: I could!

    And this is my Tumblr. Sometimes I post stuff there.

  6. #141
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post

    Or that Bruce and Selina are considered good parents for raising Helena in a similar way to how Damian was raised, sans killing, and as we know from flashbacks in Worlds' Finest and 2012's The Huntress, .
    Thatís a pretty hilariously huge proviso.

  7. #142
    ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦ Godlike13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    8,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    This will never not amuse me. It is ridiculous, really. I think it could actually be even more ridiculous that Batman building a cave in the Moon, which is something really, really, really ridiculous unless it involves the UN and the League and probably some other big organization.
    Damian is made to be "That cool character who could do whatever imposible task the best", which, true, it's not making him a Gary Stu; but he's meant to be a, maybe, power fantasy for kids? And that's making him a bit stuck-up? (I had to look up this word in a dictionary. I hope it's the right one) for me, and makes me dislike when he's written that way.

    Just my two cents in this discussion.
    Its a parody. Its suppose to be ridiculous.

  8. #143
    Caperucita Roja Zaresh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Its a parody. Its suppose to be ridiculous.
    It's sometimes played straight though, as far as I recall, and as much as some books are aimed for kids.

    Edit: I mean his astonishing hypercompetence and master expertise in general. I know at least, the thing about driving as 5? 8? was clearly played for laughs in Supersons.

    Edit 2: but then, humour is a matter of a very personal taste. Maybe some of the jokes flew over my head, I don't kmow.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 07-15-2019 at 03:10 PM.
    This is a signature. It has letters on it, and those letters form words. Words like these. I will not quote anything because I'm uninspired but, I read a lot: I could!

    And this is my Tumblr. Sometimes I post stuff there.

  9. #144
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    Uh-huh. Even then, you don't see a lot of group family time under any of those writers with Dick, Tim, and everyone else just getting together and hanging out like you have since 2010. If you were go to go through the same time frame of twelve years and compare family actually hanging out and working together as a group, and Bruce teaming up with either Dick or Jason, you will find that it happens much more after Damian becomes Robin and in more books. Not that it happens much, and hasn't at all in the last year, but it still is more regular of an occurrence now than it used to be, and with a larger family.
    No, you will not. Im impressed at how articulate and educated you are as im baffled at how biased and ignorant you come across.
    Endless Batman crossovers were had with Dick, he was an integral part of the batfamily. Between Grayson and Ric we have a character that is either fake fighting batman or doesnt care about bruce.


    Tim's popularity was hurt more by the deaths of his supporting characters
    This is true, to an extent. He had a good supporting cast. But id argue it was the quality of the books plummeting after dixon left.

    the annihilation of Cassandra Cain's character to prop him up
    Dude got beaten, then beaten again, then had nothing to do with her until pretty much the end of it. I dont know what you are smoking, but you are wrong.

    the advent of sexy Jason Todd the anti hero/anti villain
    Yeah, im sure that Jason being this edgy guy that blames Batman and proves a foil and a counterpoint to his philosophy was entirely because of Tim Drake.

    readers want characters who grow up and change.
    I dare you to find me a character that has grown and changed more than Tim has over those 20 years.
    Damians progress gets reset in every other story. And by the end of it he learns a valuable lesson about friendship/family/teamwork just in time to be reset on the next story. Ive said it before and ill say it again, Damians entire thing is emotional manipulation of the reader.


    They want to see him become an adult
    No, they want him to become batman. By the by, the age the character because they find themselves telling the same story over and over again, now at least he can notice girls.

    It's why Dick was and is popular
    Dick has remained stagnant for a long time. What the hell are you even talking about? Read a story from 20 years ago, read a story from last year, its the same guy. Doing the same thing, at the same place. Grayson was about the only good thing about the character and was forever crippled by one of the dumbest most rushed endings ive seen in a comic book.


    and why Jason is popular.
    Jason is popular because he evolved from a corpse to a villain to a vigilante?
    Or is it because he is an inherently interesting character after they brought him back and added some depth to him?

    A character who is forever 16 is boring. The choice to keep Tim 16 after One Year Later was a mistake, and in an era where fans can access the internet and keep track of everything with ease, including digital access to all original sources, it is unwise to assume that they cannot follow a plot or do basic math. It hurts a character's popularity.
    Nope, chalk it up to the writing being bad. Nobody cares if a character ages or not, people can count how many christmas specials Bruce has been a part of, they dont care. Plus even at 16 he easily underwent more character development in that space of time than the rest of the family put together during that period. This cannot be contested.
    He became darker, colder, more calculating but aware of it, trying to find a balance with some success at it, but ultimately failing, until Red Robin. Part of it was on Steph, for betraying him, for dying. Part of it was on his dads death, part of it was because of Conners death, part of it was because of Barts death, Bruce, etc. Those were not happy years for the character. Next thing you are going to say is that those deaths were to prop him up, then i can proceed to roll my eyes and ignore your next post.


    So go ahead and keep blaming Damian, but Damian was the final straw in the overloaded pile of mistakes
    So what you are saying is that Damian is to blame. Not that i agree, but way to make your entire rant pointless.

    The popularity crash was well on it's way years before Morrison introduced Damian, and you can see it when you look at the sales.
    Already said, write a character poorly for long enough and people will stop caring. But it wasnt because of lack of character development, more like the opposite, the book felt frantic after Dixon left, with each writer trying to leave a mark on the character, and actually succeeding at that, sadly not all development is good.

    And it's not like Damian stole Tim fans...oh. Wait. Never mind. There are plenty of die hard Damian fans who started as Tim fans. Just not Damian fans who become die hard Tim fans. Might be a reason for that.
    There are plenty of Robin fans that became fans of Tim because they hate the brat. See i can do this too? I can make stuff up and appear enlightened. Annecdotal evidence is just amazing.

  10. #145
    ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦ Godlike13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    8,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    It's sometimes played straight though, as far as I recall, and as much as some books are aimed for kids.

    Edit: I mean his astonishing hypercompetence and master expertise in general. I know at least, the thing about driving as 5? 8? was clearly played for laughs in Supersons.

    Edit 2: but then, humour is a matter of a very personal taste. Maybe some of the jokes flew over my head, I don't kmow.
    Its one of reasons Damian works so well with partners. They help establish perspective when it comes to Damian. Driving at the age of 5, write a dissertation at the age of 8, cool but did you brush your teeth today? For all the his hypercompetence he lacks basic human functionally, and is still just a kid. And he fails all the time because of those limitations. He's a walking parody of Bruce's extremes and Bat God in general. He's not meant to be taken straight. He wasn't introduced as someone for Bruce to fawned over and brag about, but as a dark reflection that tests and scares him. He's the living personification of the utter ridiculousness of Batman's life. Driving at the age of 5 and writing and dissertation at the age of 8 is sad more then it is impressive when you really understand it.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-19-2019 at 06:36 AM.

  11. #146
    Caperucita Roja Zaresh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    When he was introduced by Morrison, his circumbstances and skills weren't mean to be a joke, I'm pretty sure you are right about him then; he was meant to be sad and tragic, which is why I pitty the kid despite everything I mentioned. But as I said, I've read in more recent stories what came across as still serious statements, or more like his attitute towards other's skills, that, ew, put me a bit against him I guess. I would say Tomasi still plays him either as a , well, I'm not sure parody is the right word but I'll work with it, most of the time. But other times I really feel like he isn't. And others are definitively taking him seriously in a non tragic way.

    You could say it's straight the opposite problem Dick has (had?). He was taken as a jokster and too goofy because sometimes writers miss the point that he's actually performing, stripping him of his character.
    This is a signature. It has letters on it, and those letters form words. Words like these. I will not quote anything because I'm uninspired but, I read a lot: I could!

    And this is my Tumblr. Sometimes I post stuff there.

  12. #147
    Extraordinary Member dietrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    7,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    No, you will not. Im impressed at how articulate and educated you are as im baffled at how biased and ignorant you come across.
    Endless Batman crossovers were had with Dick, he was an integral part of the batfamily. Between Grayson and Ric we have a character that is either fake fighting batman or doesnt care about bruce.



    This is true, to an extent. He had a good supporting cast. But id argue it was the quality of the books plummeting after dixon left.


    Dude got beaten, then beaten again, then had nothing to do with her until pretty much the end of it. I dont know what you are smoking, but you are wrong.


    Yeah, im sure that Jason being this edgy guy that blames Batman and proves a foil and a counterpoint to his philosophy was entirely because of Tim Drake.


    I dare you to find me a character that has grown and changed more than Tim has over those 20 years.
    Damians progress gets reset in every other story. And by the end of it he learns a valuable lesson about friendship/family/teamwork just in time to be reset on the next story. Ive said it before and ill say it again, Damians entire thing is emotional manipulation of the reader.



    No, they want him to become batman. By the by, the age the character because they find themselves telling the same story over and over again, now at least he can notice girls.


    Dick has remained stagnant for a long time. What the hell are you even talking about? Read a story from 20 years ago, read a story from last year, its the same guy. Doing the same thing, at the same place. Grayson was about the only good thing about the character and was forever crippled by one of the dumbest most rushed endings ive seen in a comic book.



    Jason is popular because he evolved from a corpse to a villain to a vigilante?
    Or is it because he is an inherently interesting character after they brought him back and added some depth to him?


    Nope, chalk it up to the writing being bad. Nobody cares if a character ages or not, people can count how many christmas specials Bruce has been a part of, they dont care. Plus even at 16 he easily underwent more character development in that space of time than the rest of the family put together during that period. This cannot be contested.
    He became darker, colder, more calculating but aware of it, trying to find a balance with some success at it, but ultimately failing, until Red Robin. Part of it was on Steph, for betraying him, for dying. Part of it was on his dads death, part of it was because of Conners death, part of it was because of Barts death, Bruce, etc. Those were not happy years for the character. Next thing you are going to say is that those deaths were to prop him up, then i can proceed to roll my eyes and ignore your next post.



    So what you are saying is that Damian is to blame. Not that i agree, but way to make your entire rant pointless.


    Already said, write a character poorly for long enough and people will stop caring. But it wasnt because of lack of character development, more like the opposite, the book felt frantic after Dixon left, with each writer trying to leave a mark on the character, and actually succeeding at that, sadly not all development is good.


    There are plenty of Robin fans that became fans of Tim because they hate the brat. See i can do this too? I can make stuff up and appear enlightened. Annecdotal evidence is just amazing.
    @Mataza Dude please Try to keep it civil this discussion has been going for weeks without anyone having to resort to personal attacks. No need to insult posters over fictional characters.
    Last edited by dietrich; 07-19-2019 at 05:23 AM.

  13. #148
    Extraordinary Member dietrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    7,569

    Default

    I thought everyone got that Damian is meant to a exaggerated version of Bruce/Batman. Batman to the max. That is what Talia set out to create but at what cost.

    Despite all the tinkering and enhancements the final product while it excels in certain areas fails in lots of others.

    A boy who is never really has been a boy or even a child.
    Last edited by dietrich; 07-17-2019 at 09:02 AM.

  14. #149
    Astonishing Member CPSparkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    No, you will not. Im impressed at how articulate and educated you are as im baffled at how biased and ignorant you come across.
    Endless Batman crossovers were had with Dick, he was an integral part of the batfamily. Between Grayson and Ric we have a character that is either fake fighting batman or doesnt care about bruce.



    This is true, to an extent. He had a good supporting cast. But id argue it was the quality of the books plummeting after dixon left.


    Dude got beaten, then beaten again, then had nothing to do with her until pretty much the end of it. I dont know what you are smoking, but you are wrong.


    Yeah, im sure that Jason being this edgy guy that blames Batman and proves a foil and a counterpoint to his philosophy was entirely because of Tim Drake.


    I dare you to find me a character that has grown and changed more than Tim has over those 20 years.
    Damians progress gets reset in every other story. And by the end of it he learns a valuable lesson about friendship/family/teamwork just in time to be reset on the next story. Ive said it before and ill say it again, Damians entire thing is emotional manipulation of the reader.



    No, they want him to become batman. By the by, the age the character because they find themselves telling the same story over and over again, now at least he can notice girls.


    Dick has remained stagnant for a long time. What the hell are you even talking about? Read a story from 20 years ago, read a story from last year, its the same guy. Doing the same thing, at the same place. Grayson was about the only good thing about the character and was forever crippled by one of the dumbest most rushed endings ive seen in a comic book.



    Jason is popular because he evolved from a corpse to a villain to a vigilante?
    Or is it because he is an inherently interesting character after they brought him back and added some depth to him?


    Nope, chalk it up to the writing being bad. Nobody cares if a character ages or not, people can count how many christmas specials Bruce has been a part of, they dont care. Plus even at 16 he easily underwent more character development in that space of time than the rest of the family put together during that period. This cannot be contested.
    He became darker, colder, more calculating but aware of it, trying to find a balance with some success at it, but ultimately failing, until Red Robin. Part of it was on Steph, for betraying him, for dying. Part of it was on his dads death, part of it was because of Conners death, part of it was because of Barts death, Bruce, etc. Those were not happy years for the character. Next thing you are going to say is that those deaths were to prop him up, then i can proceed to roll my eyes and ignore your next post.



    So what you are saying is that Damian is to blame. Not that i agree, but way to make your entire rant pointless.


    Already said, write a character poorly for long enough and people will stop caring. But it wasnt because of lack of character development, more like the opposite, the book felt frantic after Dixon left, with each writer trying to leave a mark on the character, and actually succeeding at that, sadly not all development is good.


    There are plenty of Robin fans that became fans of Tim because they hate the brat. See i can do this too? I can make stuff up and appear enlightened. Annecdotal evidence is just amazing.
    I was a Tim fan before Damian [hated the Kid at first] but now I'm more a Damian fan than a Tim fan

    This fandom is toxic.

  15. #150
    Extraordinary Member dietrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    7,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by josai21 View Post
    Damianís skills are unearned. We were told he has all these abilities without being shown how he got them. A ten year old has no business fighting on par with the people he does. But people accept it bc heís ďson of Batman.Ē

    His abilities are unearned

    Itís not just Tim he replaces. How many times have we seen Dick team up with Bruce? Jason team up with Bruce? Since damianshowed up? Not as much.

    Damian undermines the status of the other side kicks (as it relates to their role in the family) by simply existing.

    When was the last time we saw the Batfamily truly be a family since Damian showed up? That camaderie has seriously decreased. Iím not saying heís the primary cause but there is a correlation.

    Everything about this is subjective anyways though. No ones right and no ones wrong. As long as comics lack definitive story telling and refuse to break the status quo people can interpret however they want to.

    I interpret Damian as a character that is bad storytelling for the other characters in the Batfamily and his character shouldíve never existed much less come back to life
    Damian has been around for more than 10 years and in those years he only teamed up with Batman in Tomasi's B&R and he was dead a good portion of the run.
    King and Synder didn't use him and Tynion used Tim in his approx 2 yr tec run.

    Damian's skills aren't down to being the Son of Batman they are down to being Talia's son. How could you forget that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •