Spectacular Member

Question Was the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comics rebooted before it's cancelation?

Hi guys

First, let me introduce myself. Mr_E_88, Mr_E is a tribute to the Riddler and 88 is my birthday

I've been reading comics since I was 8, hope you find my stay here pleasant

Now for my question, Before I begin, please forgive me if I asked this before, but I still scratching my head on this one.

Was the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comics rebooted before it's cancelation?

I remember the something about the Super Genesis wave resetting the universe or sending Sonic to an alternate timeline or something. I really didn't understand back then and I still don't understand it now.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Yes, the Sonic comics were rebooted before the relationship between Sega and Archie completely dissolved. I was already off of Sonic when it happened, so I can't really get into the narrative details of it unfortunately. Now, the behind the scenes reason they did it was because there were legal disputes between Archie/Sega, and several creators who worked on the series over the years. The creators claimed ownership over dozens of characters made for the comics, and actually won the case. Archie/Sega could no longer use the characters or no longer wished to due to this. So they rebooted the comics universe, eliminating most if not all characters not created in the games.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

The narrative was a Mega Man crossover. When the Mega Man cast went home, some changes happened in Sonic's World. As you said, everyone not created for the games or the SatAM cartoon was eliminated. The SatAM characters didn't survive the transition to IDW, and are now also gone.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Yeah you are correct, in Issue #251, the final part of the Mega Man crossover Worlds Collide, Sonic's world got effected by the "Super Genesis Wave" creating a new universe and continuity all the characters lived in (ala Flashpoint for DC), which started with issue #252.

Then after issue #290, Archie and Sega split ways, so the book got completely rebooted again (set in a more game accurate universe) over at IDW and with a new #1.