Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Superman: Leviathan Rising Special - SPOILERS

So, I thought this was really good. I think it recontextualizes Event Leviathan and may even bookend the event itself? Like is the Event: Leviathan miniseries set in the single night after Lois rings the alarm on Clark being kidnapped? It seems that way, though it would not be out of character for Bendis ot have a giant all hands on deck rescue mission of the JLA occur entirely off panel.

Anyways, I liked the Loene and Leviathan meeting. Though Bendis propping up his new characters with other new characters was kinda eye rolling. I liked that it touched on the Invisible Mafia again though.

The Lois chapter was excellent and I'm now really officially excited about Rucka's book. That was a great showcase for Lois Lane and I liked everything I saw there. Even the emergency smokes. Very human Lois, said a lot about her relationship with Clark even though they don't share any panel time in that chapter.

The Jimmy Olsen chapter was also excellent. It really is like Fraction's Hawkeye on steroids or acid. Teases some multiversal hijinks and hopefully Dex Star as a sidekick.

And the Clark chapters were similarly well done. Really kept the tone of Action Comics. Nice to see some journalism from Clark.

As for hints to Leviathan's ID? I don't know of if I caught that many. They may know that Clark was Superman. From their talk with Leone and their reaction to Talia's actions it seems like kidnapping Clark wasn't Leviathan's plan.

I think that in issue, it hinted that Jon is in the Legion. It shows the fight with Mongol, which happened in the middle of when Jon tells Lois and Clark what happened in space. So I presume that this issue happens after Jon and Clark's trip to fight Zaar. After that, Lois couldn't get a hold of Clark. She could've easily called Jon to see how long Clark been gone or to go by the house to check on him, which she doesn't. That makes me question where he's at, future or present. Plus it shows Kara come home after the fight with Zaar.

Side note: Imo, this is the first issue since Bendis took over Lois gave a crap about anybody other than her and her book when Clark goes missing.
    Last edited by MeGrimlock420; 05-29-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MeGrimlock420 View Post
    I think that in issue, it hinted that Jon is in the Legion. It shows the fight with Mongol, which happened in the middle of when Jon tells Lois and Clark what happened in space. So I presume that this issue happens after Jon and Clark's trip to fight Zaar. After that, Lois couldn't get a hold of Clark. She could've easily called Jon to see how long Clark been gone or to go by the house to check on him, which she doesn't. That makes me question where he's at, future or present. Plus it shows Kara come home after the fight with Zaar.

Side note: Imo, this is the first issue since Bendis took over Lois gave a crap about anybody other than her and her book.
    Clark's kidnapped after the Mongul scene so that all happens after he gets back from space with Jon. They talk after the Mongul fight and her difficulty contacting him was after he was kidnapped by Talia. Logically, that would mean that Jon's off wherever Jon ends up after the Unity Saga at this point, I think. Maybe with the Legion. Maybe not.

Most likely, it's all happening in this weird "at the same time place" So Jon's not back yet. Lois' "I'll deal with Leviathan" line in Superman 10 made me think that. So it's equally likely Jon comes back after this issue and then Lois deals with "Event Leviathan" while Superman is in space with Jon.

I definitely don't agree about Lois though. She spent four issues dealing with the ramifications of Jon's change and the last five issues of Action Comics dealing with her dad and Leviathan. So I know people are hung up on her leaving Jon, I don't have that big of an issue with that.

I'll copy pas what I wrote in the DC sub forum :

After reading Leviathan Rising, I'm so damn hyped for the whole event and the mystery surrounding Leviathan's identity. But now, I wonder if the Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen book will only happen in between Clark's being captured by Talia and the end of this book, or if it'll expand further than that.

But I have now an addendum : I'm a little sad that the whole scheme of Talia in The Silencer was done away so swiftly. it's kind of funny now to see all her killers, biomoded assassins and other metas yelling Hail Leviathan after she proved to them that she alone IS Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I'll copy pas what I wrote in the DC sub forum :

After reading Leviathan Rising, I'm so damn hyped for the whole event and the mystery surrounding Leviathan's identity. But now, I wonder if the Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen book will only happen in between Clark's being captured by Talia and the end of this book, or if it'll expand further than that.

But I have now an addendum : I'm a little sad that the whole scheme of Talia in The Silencer was done away so swiftly. it's kind of funny now to see all her killers, biomoded assassins and other metas yelling Hail Leviathan after she proved to them that she alone IS Leviathan
    I think Lois and Jimmy’s books will be set after. Rucka or Perkins have said in interviews that there’s a discussion between Lois & Clark in the first issue, which leads me to believe this all happens post-Event Leviathan.

Now whether or not the entirety of Event Leviathan happens while Clark is kidnapped, I think that is likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I definitely don't agree about Lois though. She spent four issues dealing with the ramifications of Jon's change and the last five issues of Action Comics dealing with her dad and Leviathan. So I know people are hung up on her leaving Jon, I don't have that big of an issue with that.
    To me, it was that she got to call Batman and went to go rescue Clark. Instead of hearing about dad's heartache or seeing Jon 17 years old and feeling bad about it. Plus, everybody has a different opinion and I respect yours.
    Last edited by MeGrimlock420; 05-29-2019 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MeGrimlock420 View Post

Side note: Imo, this is the first issue since Bendis took over Lois gave a crap about anybody other than her and her book when Clark goes missing.
    Rucka had a hand in how Lois was written here, hence why she’s not the selfish coward Bendis writes her as.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Me during the majority of this issue.....

Me during the Jimmy section.......

The end.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The best part of the issue was the mini Jimmy comic preview, I'm not sure how long he can maintain it based on my opinion of Fractions Iron Man but here's hoping.

I'm not really feeling Lois calling in the Justice League so soon, it felt off then seeing her and Jimmy doing the rescue made me wonder again why bother. Superman was ok in this, most importantly I didn't really hear the Bendis speak, part of that may be the many writers though.

Over all I'd rate this issue a B-

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

After reading this special, I'm really looking forward to the Jimmy Olsen series.

Astonishing Member

Was it worth $10? (Serious question - I'm uncertain about buying it.)

All-New Member

I thought the art was beyond amazing and this is one of the most high quality comics I have ever picked up, all around exciting, drama, mystery, comedy. Echoing others Supergirls chapter was the weakest.

Very pumped for this Event and Loene and Leviathan meeting was so well crafted from color pallets and the angles of each panel. Also loved the Krptonite effect on Clark and Lois on the roof and kitchen. There is a kind of gold/bronze overtone to the whole book that I also picked up on in Doomsday.

Also getting serious Star Wars vibes from Leviathan's outfit and aesthetics.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Was it worth $10? (Serious question - I'm uncertain about buying it.)
    There is definitely enough money to warrant spending 10$. It's a good primer on what's going on for the superman family this summer

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Me during the majority of this issue.....

Me during the Jimmy section.......

The end.
    I had a similar reaction. It's a shame the Supergirl section was near the end. They should have sandwiched that somewhere earlier, so we could have been riding the high of that awesome Jimmy Olsen stuff when the issue ends.

Astonishing Member

Yes, I definitely wasn't feeling that Supergirl part and honestly could have done without it.