Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I saved 1010, 1011, and this one for a binge read, was not disappointed in the least. I am a pretty big fan of the original Red Lanterns run and glad that it somehow came up in the middle of a gritty Superfamily action adventure. I didn't want to talk up Jimmy before reading it but that Annihilator costume he wears on the one cover guaranteed something special to me.

Supergirl doing a plot 180 from her series to touch on the Danvers was really cool to me, I dunno.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by movieclub View Post

Also getting serious Star Wars vibes from Leviathan's outfit and aesthetics.
    I remember Bendis stating in an interview that Leviathan looked like Dark Vador because it's what heroes expected of him. I'll try to find it...

There it is : https://www.newsarama.com/44993-bria...ex-maleev.html

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Michael Bendis
    Leviathan himself plays a subtle game, down to the design of his armor.

“He's dealing with icons and psychology of imagery,” says Bendis. “They think they're fighting Darth Vader, because Leviathan wants them to think they’re fighting Darth Vader.”

I liked this issue a lot! The highlight was Fraction’s Jimmy Olsen which was just as funny and irreverent as I hoped, Man I’d he can keep the quality up we might have another Hawkeye classic in store for us. Rucka’s Lois was good, I liked that he showed Lois smoking, it’s a vice for her that works well with Rucka’s noirish take. The Bendis portions have me excited for the upcoming event, hopefully Bendis can deliver because the set up has been good. The Andrekyo Supergirl portion was ok, but definitely the weakest bit.

Astonishing Member

I'm in the minority, I guess.

Didn't care for the zany Silver-age Jimmy Olsen take. It just was too jarring, for me, when matched to the more serious parts of the book. It was like trying to work scenes from the 1950's TV show into Snyder's Man of Steel.

And having Superman nerfed so Lois could shine leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The man has successfully pulled off this secret ID for years and now suddenly we are told "Oh, Clark is a horrible actor".

I can't tell if the Kara stuff was meant to blow up the idea of making her like her TV counterpart or set up a reunion with the Danvers over the course of this event. Either way it just didn't gel for me.

And I'm pretty sure Ra's knew who Superman was, so am I to assume Talia knows and still did this or that she doesn't know?

@Jon Clark

I agree over all not worth the money. I struggled to give it a B- since I thought a C was too low for such a great Jimmy Olson story. My favorite Jimmy Olson story was Superman Metropolis by Chuck Austin for a more modern look at the character but this was really fun and IF he can keep it up I'll be getting every issue along with the new Batman Superman title should the art and or story stay high quality. I agree the rest of the book felt off.

Lois gives into the JLA way too fast, then didn't even seem to need them other than Firestorm standing there doing nothing, where was the investigation that will be I assume her signature in the ongoing to find Clark? Needed more show less tell, all result no journey. And whoever decided Superman couldn't act or pull off a secret ID should retire from comic writing but probably wont. I didn't really have an opinion on Supergirl since I hadn't read anything on her since she guest starred in Action and Superman under Jurgens Tomasi and Gleason other than issue 1 of her rebirth series which was a hot mess. I didn't know what was going on so it didn't mean much.

Jimmy at this pace sounds fun to me in an ongoing, but if I didn't like that aspect this would have been a really disappointing issue.

I think the acting thing may be a play on the Silver Age exaggerated wimp Clark trope. It didn't bother me at all and I don't think they "nerfed" him for Lois to shine. He put himself in a situation where he couldn't use his powers overtly to get a story and then got slapped with a kryptonite vest. It fit with Leone's trap monologue. He didn't know he was in that much trouble until it was on him. Not sure how that's nerfing anything.

Loved the issue! My favorite part was of Lois Lane. This is how you convey a living breathing person. It was brilliant in my opinion. My second favorite was Jimmy Olsen's. That stuff was bonkers. This is the kind of stuff i want in Jimmy Olsen. Superman's part was solid. I loved the interaction of Leone with Leviathan. Supergirl's part was just standard stuff. Thus, it felt a bit jarring after seeing such great work.

A few thoughts. It was strange hearing that Superman can't act. Its a strange idea. He has been doing that for most of his history. I loved it here. The exaggerated way he shouts GOOOAADHH... Even the attackers were confused. Lol. I think i will love it. It can be funny. But it makes less sense. So, how can't people say he is Superman? You don't have robots? You don't have great acting? So, how is he pulling it off? Overacting? I don't see how it fits. But right now i am enjoying it.

Jimmy Olsen. That was a hoot. I think i love this characterisation of Jimmy. He isn't a clown. But he is somewhat ordinary who is thrust into extraordinary situations. But his life is so extraordinary that he has become somewhat used to that. Both Jimmy and Lois get A+ from me. Both are different. But great in their own ways. Superman gets A-. Very solid work. I may give a score to Supergirl after i finish it.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 05-31-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Astonishing Member

King had the Super robots in his Batman book not too long ago.

So, they are in canon? Superman has robots who stand in for him? That would be nice.

Astonishing Member

I think the resemblance between Clark and Superman is treated more like a joke by the DCU public because they've had many instances showing him to be two different people, whether it's through the robots, or Mxy or Martian Manhunter etc. Gone are the days when they seriously considered the two to be the same (discounting the events of Truth).

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post

Didn't care for the zany Silver-age Jimmy Olsen take. It just was too jarring, for me, when matched to the more serious parts of the book. It was like trying to work scenes from the 1950's TV show into Snyder's Man of Steel.

And having Superman nerfed so Lois could shine leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The man has successfully pulled off this secret ID for years and now suddenly we are told "Oh, Clark is a horrible actor".

I can't tell if the Kara stuff was meant to blow up the idea of making her like her TV counterpart or set up a reunion with the Danvers over the course of this event. Either way it just didn't gel for me.

And I'm pretty sure Ra's knew who Superman was, so am I to assume Talia knows and still did this or that she doesn't know?
    This is about where I'm at.
    And I could have sworn Talia knew Superman and Clark are the same. She even popped up in Super Sons for a short arc.

And I basically skipped the Jimmy Olsen parts too.

I also think Talia knows Clark is Superman.

In the Super Sons comics, Damian said Jon's name in front of Talia. Also, Talia went after Jon's mother Lois.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post

It read more to me like Clark's not good at acting like he's acting. He can't do a part within a part. He can do Superman and Clark Kent fine, but when he has to be Clark playing "Clark," he overacts like a chump. I dunno, it worked for me. It is inconsistent with his past as Chaz, though.

It could also be that once you're familiar with the actual Clark Kent, you are hyper aware of the affectations he puts on when posing as Superman or the Planet's Clark. It probably looks bad in hindsight and they're just having some fun with it.

But I've maintained that Lois should have always known and could never prove it, so maybe it's being played straight and he just can't act.

Probably just a throwaway joke you're not meant to think on, though.
    Last edited by Robanker; 05-31-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MeGrimlock420 View Post
    I also think Talia knows Clark is Superman.

In the Super Sons comics, Damian said Jon's name in front of Talia. Also, Talia went after Jon's mother Lois.
    Going after Lois was just a random contract on Lois that Talia took to get close to Damian. So while she likely could put it together based on seeing Jon's red eyes, she at least didn't know when she went after Lois.

Yeah I do think saying Clark is a terrible actor is too far. If he is then that just means Lois is an idiot for being fooled for so long. And we know it’s totally possible for someone to do, Chris Reeves pulled it off rather memorably after all. Saying Clark has a problem with acting and lying is veering a bit too much into the caricature of Supes as just being an angelic Buffon who is incapable of being anything but perfect. I think that Clark is fine with lying at times serves well as a character flaw.