Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member

Bravo to Fraction finally a guy thats not afraid to embrace the weird. Best piece of Superman fiction I'v read since Gene Yang was on New Superman.

The rest was fine. Ultimately it's just another event imo.

As for the lying thing I just chalk that up to the simplistic nature of modern writing. We all know Superman's an expert liar since he's one of like five people that's been able to maintain a secret id all this time but modern writing probably goes something like: LYING=BAD, SUPERMAN=GOOD, THEREFORE SUPERMAN NEVER LIES. It's lacking in nuance and easily correctable by reading the character's history but that would probably require more work than any of these people would ever think of putting into their writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It read more to me like Clark's not good at acting like he's acting. He can't do a part within a part. He can do Superman and Clark Kent fine, but when he has to be Clark playing "Clark," he overacts like a chump. I dunno, it worked for me. It is inconsistent with his past as Chaz, though.

It could also be that once you're familiar with the actual Clark Kent, you are hyper aware of the affectations he puts on when posing as Superman or the Planet's Clark. It probably looks bad in hindsight and they're just having some fun with it.

But I've maintained that Lois should have always known and could never prove it, so maybe it's being played straight and he just can't act.

Probably just a throwaway joke you're not meant to think on, though.
    That's how I saw it, too. He's ok being Superman and Clark because they're extensions of himself and he's been working at it nearly his whole life. And Chaz is kinda like Superman-lite, so that passes (and he has Lois there to cover). But acting fragile? Maybe not so much.

I found it rather endearing, actually, so it landed well for me.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Astonishing Member

Lois smoking was a riff on Margot Kidder, yeah?
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Bendis said the first printing sold out and that a second round is coming. Looks like this issue was a success.
    Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Lois smoking was a riff on Margot Kidder, yeah?
    That or just Rucka showing that his mini will be a bit more “mature” if you will. Rucka loves his cynical, snarky noir inspired brunette.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Bendis said the first printing sold out and that a second round is coming. Looks like this issue was a success.

That or just Rucka showing that his mini will be a bit more “mature” if you will. Rucka loves his cynical, snarky noir inspired brunette.
    True enough. And Montoya has long-since quit. And Lois certainly fits the bill.

But hey, I immediately thought of Chris Reeve saying "you know, you really shouldn't smoke". And evil Kryptonians getting smashed through Marlboro trucks. It's got to be a weird relationship thing, yeah? Like she quit, they had the kid, she hides it in the ice cream drawer, she hasn't done it since the 80s ... but Clark could also always light her cigarette for her from across the table with a quick glance.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Bravo to Fraction finally a guy thats not afraid to embrace the weird. Best piece of Superman fiction I'v read since Gene Yang was on New Superman.

The rest was fine. Ultimately it's just another event imo.

As for the lying thing I just chalk that up to the simplistic nature of modern writing. We all know Superman's an expert liar since he's one of like five people that's been able to maintain a secret id all this time but modern writing probably goes something like: LYING=BAD, SUPERMAN=GOOD, THEREFORE SUPERMAN NEVER LIES. It's lacking in nuance and easily correctable by reading the character's history but that would probably require more work than any of these people would ever think of putting into their writing.
    Superman is THE BEST dude, but he lies all the time. He's intentionally vague, always. I hate that so many writers want to paint him as a saint to the point that they miss the fun inherent in him.

I love that about Superman. I love the little bits of him that aren't precise perfection.

I've long thought that "Clark Kent" isn't his only identity. He has others scattered about the world, so he can stay in touch with various people and contacts and keep up with what's going on. He slips in and out of these identities from time to time. "Clark Kent" is just what he uses most. Maybe "Johnny Clark" too. Every few weeks or so he'll slip into something different in a different country, keep up appearances.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-03-2019 at 06:13 AM.

Yeah I hate when sometimes writers will brush up against Clark’s failings and instead of using it to explore Clark’s character they’ll just sidestep them by either having everyone immediately forgive him, or just completely letting him off the hook. I thought Loveness’ story “The Glasses” about Lois and Clark’s relationship was the best story about how Lois would react to Clark revealing his secret. At first she’s ****** off at him for lying but eventually forgives him when she comes to understand his perspective a bit better, and Clark tries to not keep secrets from her afterwards.