Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How powerful was MCU Odin?

What the title says. How powerful was the guy and how Rumbles useful was he?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

He enchanted the hammer.

Gungnir was tearing apart dark elves like they were tissue paper. I think that's about it on-screen, really.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Some implied feats for being able to wield mjolnir and gungnir

Magical feats of stripping Thor of his godly power and putting a magic spell on Mjolnir

Off screen feats of magically holding back Hela somehow

Off screen killed Surtur (thor thought so) and took the eternal flame

Took a spike ball to the eyeball from Lauffey? lol

Beat Lauffey in combat.

Ability to shut up Thor and Loki by yelling at them

Bad parent

All his stuff is implied by his presence and exposition basically.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Bad parent
    Good one.

*limit dance*
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

This might sound strange on a feat-centered forum (and I'm a feats-first kinda guy), but I like analyzing characters with vague powers of exposition. Granted, it's a slippery slope, especially where Rumbles are concerned, but I think it'll be fun.

Here's what I have on MCU Odin:

-Strength-
    • Bested Laufey in combat (Laufey is strong enough to shatter Asgardian warriors with a single blow).
    • Tore Thor’s armor off like it was an afterthought (Thor’s armor is more durable than Thor).
    • Threw Mjolnir through the Bifrost so hard that when it arrived on Earth it imparted enough force to create a massive impact crater.

-Power (Odinforce)-
    • In his prime, Odin defeated Full Power Surtur. Thousands of years later, Surtur hadn’t fully recovered from his disfigurement.
    • Odin took Thor’s power away.
    • Place enchantments on objects that vary in power and effectiveness (e.g., Mjolnir).
    • Pulled Thor, Loki, Sif, and the Warriors Three into the Bifrost.
    • Conjure dark magic to send Thor to Earth.
    • Immune to the Frost Giant’s freezing touch, which unraveled Loki’s armor and wounded Volstagg.
    • Capable of summoning the Bifrost.
    • Channels the Odinforce through Gungnir, projecting a high-powered energy beam (a quick shot from it killed Laufey; sustained blasts obliterated armies of Frost Giants, and knocked Thor out for several minutes).
    • For thousands of years, Odin kept Hela locked away in Hel. He used his life force to keep her imprisoned, all while performing most of the feats listed above.

-Speed-
    • Within a few seconds, Odin went from resting in his bedchamber to the edge of the Rainbow Bridge, catching a falling Thor and Loki. He moved faster than Thor could fly with Mjolnir in hand.

-Durability-
    • Feats are bare here. All we know is Odin was durable enough to survive his encounter with Full Power Surtur, bested Hela, won countless battles, etc. Being Asgardian helps and, well, he’s the father of Thor. With the Odinforce, he’s capable of revitalizing those who’ve been severely injured, so his magic should -- in theory -- augment his durability.

Now, what can we use as feats?

I've kind of wondered if the power that kept Hela imprisoned while Odin was alive was sheer power or some kind of magic failsafe. Like in action movies where, if the villain's pulse drops to zero, a remote detonator he's strapped to triggers remotely somewhere and the bombs go off -- in that case, that wouldn't be power but rather creative use of resources.

Then again, the movie implies moreso that Odin's simply just that powerful that he's above Hela.

He's above Thor but below hela?

Supposedly powerful enough that Thanos waited till he died before going after the infinity stones.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    He's above Thor but below hela?
    Nah, Hela is definitely below Odin. Even if we discount Odin's ambient lifeforce keeping her imprisoned, she still had to be defeated, captured, and imprisoned in the first place. And that was Odin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Good one.

*limit dance*
    To be fair, how good a parent would you be if you didn't sleep for nearly 1500 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Nah, Hela is definitely below Odin. Even if we discount Odin's ambient lifeforce keeping her imprisoned, she still had to be defeated, captured, and imprisoned in the first place. And that was Odin.
    Is she above him with the Asgard power up?

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Is she above him with the Asgard power up?
    Not by presentation, no.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Didn't he have ALL the Valkyries when he did that? I kind of got the impression that they held her off while he pulled a dimension dump or something.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    Didn't he have ALL the Valkyries when he did that? I kind of got the impression that they held her off while he pulled a dimension dump or something.
    At the very least they must have contributed, unless Odin just sacrificed them all because he's a dick. Which isn't impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    At the very least they must have contributed, unless Odin just sacrificed them all because he's a dick. Which isn't impossible.
    Didn't want to interrupt his dinner, so he sent the Valkyrie to hold Hela over.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan