Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Amazing Spider-Man #22: The Hunted Finale

Okay, so, clearly Nick, like Slott, thinks Kraven was done after KLH and took kind of a very positive corrective approach to reshape KLH into the first of some epic trilogy while this is the last. And I think he succeeded in that, but what I'm also impressed by is that he's left a Kraven with a strong psychological ground to actually be a worthy replacement.

Also, kudos to acknowledging all of that Squirrel Girl stuff very subtly without breaking the mood. That panel with the squirrel is beautiful.

Also, speaking of the art, Humberto's Kraven design is the coolest **** in the world and I love it.

Also, the last few pages in general. Yeesh, what a way for an all-time great like Ramos to go out.
    Last edited by Snoop Dogg; 05-29-2019 at 03:31 PM.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I felt slightly underwhelmed by this issue...only because the scale that Hunted began with seemed to not matter as much in the end. I’d sort of expected...bigger. But what we got was also just as good.

Seems like Spencer agreed with Slott when it comes to Kraven. I’ll discuss this later once others have had time to digest it.

Excited to see what comes in the epilogue.

Ramos!!! The man is now a Spider-legend with his artwork. Hope to see him make a comeback in the future!

Glanced through this issue and yeah...this is the big kahuna.

Billy and Curt both survived.

Astonishing Member

Considering how I thought the whole event was lackluster, I’m surprised by how much I liked the ending.

BANNED

Overall, I liked rather than loved Hunted. It was a solid arc that consistently held my interest more than it truly excited me but I was definitely impressed with the ending.

Spencer made some very smart moves here in regards to Kraven, the Lizard, and Spidey himself. Nice work.

And this was arguably Ramos' best art on the entire arc so it was a great note for him to go out on.

I missed you, pops.

This was a great story. I felt a bit lost with a couple of the issues along the way...nothing major...maybe a bit cartoony / silly vibe where I thought it wasn't really serving the emotion of the moment in parts?

But he pulled it all together with this last issue. Simply epic. Nice twists.

Ramos shows up with his A game for sure.

4.5 Vonstars for the arc.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Honestly, I found Hunted to be the weakest storyline in Spencer's run so far. It started off really strong, but as it went on it became a lot more meandering and suffered from the same "Peter becomes a guest in his own book" problem that plagued many of Slott's events as well. I mean, after being captured, Peter did basically nothing except give Kraven that one speech at the end. The extremely inappropriate Ramos art didn't help matters one bit.

Maybe it will read better in TPB form.
    Last edited by blackspidey2099; 05-29-2019 at 07:43 PM.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

BANNED

I liked it. It was true to the humanistic message of KLH more than its Grim Dark exteriors that deep down Kraven can't comprehend Spider-Man's humanity, and not see that as the true source of Peter's strength.

And the message at the end was great. People are good or can be good and Spider-Man is both an inspiring figure to his supporting cast (Billy, Felicia, MJ) and is inspired by them at the same time. Which is a running theme in Spencer's run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Okay, so, clearly Nick, like Slott, thinks Kraven was done after KLH and took kind of a very positive corrective approach to reshape KLH into the first of some epic trilogy while this is the last. And I think he succeeded in that, but what I'm also impressed by is that he's left a Kraven with a strong psychological ground to actually be a worthy replacement.

Also, kudos to acknowledging all of that Squirrel Girl stuff very subtly without breaking the mood. That panel with the squirrel is beautiful.

Also, speaking of the art, Humberto's Kraven design is the coolest **** in the world and I love it.

Also, the last few pages in general. Yeesh, what a way for an all-time great like Ramos to go out.
    What did Kraven do with Squirrel Girl or what's the deal with that ?
    Last edited by Wall-Crawler; 05-29-2019 at 07:53 PM.

This ended on a disappointing note for me. The real star of the Hunted ended up being the Vulture which was a plus for Vulture fans but didn't really resonate with me. I mean, I've got nothing against Toomes but I wanted to see more time spent between Spider-Man and the original Kraven. I also feel like there were too many players on the field or in this particular sense, featured in the story. I get the point Spencer was trying to make in that the more death and destruction Spider-Man was exposed to, the more Kraven was trying to push him over the edge and grant him his death wish. But everyone knew Spider-Man was never going to cave in, thus making it feel more like a waste.

Speaking of waste, the original Kraven getting killed off again was exactly that to me. Look, I get it. I get some people wanted the original Kraven to stay dead due to the way he went out in Kraven's Last Hunt. I on the other hand have never agreed with that. To me, Kraven is too good of a villain to permanently be rid of especially for Spider-Man. Yes, I get that Spider-Man has more than his share of rogues to choose from but only a select few (in fact, I can count on one hand) can really truly get to Spider-Man on a psychological level and Kraven is one of them. Besides, they've tried to replace the original Kraven with another Kraven-like character before and it didn't stick then and more than likely it won't stick now.

I definitely don't see it sticking with Kraven Jr, Kraven 2.0, Last Son of Kraven or whatever the hell is name is. The guy's nothing more than a blank, bootleg version of the original, if anything his very existence cheapens the Kraven legacy. If the original Kraven had to go, I would've gone with Ana Kravinoff over the Kraven clone. Can't help but think that Spencer wanted his cake and eat it too with Kraven by putting the original Kraven back in the genie bottle while creating his own version of Kraven in hopes that Kraven will get over. I don't see it happening long term. Overall, Hunted didn't do it for me unfortunately.

I know it says to be concluded in this issue but isn't really one more to go? Like an Epilogue of sorts?

Still, I enjoyed this run, I never really lost interest like some of the others here mentioned and I felt that the ending was rather well done. I enjoyed the various POV's that were shown and I am interested in seeing what happens in regards to MJ, Jr, Cat and the Connors. My only real complaint is Vulture coming out like he's some sort of leader but that could well be a set up for something down the line.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    This ended on a disappointing note for me. The real star of the Hunted ended up being the Vulture which was a plus for Vulture fans but didn't really resonate with me. I mean, I've got nothing against Toomes but I wanted to see more time spent between Spider-Man and the original Kraven. I also feel like there were too many players on the field or in this particular sense, featured in the story. I get the point Spencer was trying to make in that the more death and destruction Spider-Man was exposed to, the more Kraven was trying to push him over the edge and grant him his death wish. But everyone knew Spider-Man was never going to cave in, thus making it feel more like a waste.
    Agreed on too much Vulture, with the only other truly prominent characters, animal-characters end side, was the other major animal-based Spider-characters, Black Cat, Scorpion, Rhino, and Lizards. Why not Puma? He has not truly been given his own character-time, as in getting into him, for a long while, while many of the other players, from Stegron, Toad, Armadillo, and Man-Bull, had been given several of their own tales each by then of recent. Yet, he's there, but only as cameos of him portrayed as angrily lunging into his opponents. Not even any single panel of even one brief repartee of Puma-mysticism-tribe-honor to re-harken us what he's about.
    Last edited by ngroove; 05-29-2019 at 11:47 PM.

BANNED

So Spider man has inspired another cold blooded killer to find humanity and give up his life in his stead. I wonder what the reaction of Kaine will be on learning about hunted.