Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The Most Underrated Spider-Man Stories

Scott Allen of CBR has a list of the top ten underrated Spider-Man stories.

https://www.cbr.com/underrated-spider-man-stories/

What say you guys?

I disagree with #9 mainly because it's on pretty much every list of the best Spider-Man stories.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I feel like entire eras where Marvel had enough financial incentive to blast Spider-Man issues out of a cannon several times a month can't really be underrated, except on like, the internet.

The most underrated Spider-Man story is the Inferno tie-in from Spectacular where Flash and Betty fight demons civie-style.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

None of these are terribly underrated though, so it's just weird to see all of these stories there.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I agree with Marvel Knights Spider-Man #1-12 being on this list. Probably the best work Mark Millar ever did for Marvel, and I still wish more had been done with the revelation that many of the early supervillains were products of a consortium of corrupt corporate industrialists and politicians trying to distract the early superheroes either from going after them for their greater crimes and wrongdoings or using their own powers and abilities to change the world for the better (and thus more than likely bite into those industrialists' and politicians' bottom lines). It's a good update for many Marvel villain origins that were rooted in the Cold War, since thanks to the sliding timescale, the Cold War isn't nearly as contemporary or recent as it used to be.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I agree with Marvel Knights Spider-Man #1-12 being on this list. Probably the best work Mark Millar ever did for Marvel, and I still wish more had been done with the revelation that many of the early supervillains were products of a consortium of corrupt corporate industrialists and politicians trying to distract the early superheroes either from going after them for their greater crimes and wrongdoings or using their own powers and abilities to change the world for the better (and thus more than likely bite into those industrialists' and politicians' bottom lines). It's a good update for many Marvel villain origins that were rooted in the Cold War, since thanks to the sliding timescale, the Cold War isn't nearly as contemporary or recent as it used to be.
    Yes, I love MKSM! The story is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    This is one I'm a bit iffy on. This has nothing to do with quality, since it's probably one of my top ten favorite Spider-Man stories, but I'm not sure it's really so underrated. It's on a lot of best-of lists, but I can get the argument that it doesn't get the attention of other Millar Marvel comics like Civil War and Old Man Logan.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Marvel Knights was ok. I found it to be somewhat derivative of USM, in concept.

Still underrated, though, as it was a good story. It does tend to get ignored, though.

There are several famous Romita stories during the Lee/Romita years that are famous and many that are not, even though the run itself is famous. Some of those specific storylines, like the Tablet Saga, deserve a mention here.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

The Stone Tablet Saga must have felt like a linewide event back in the day.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This is one I'm a bit iffy on. It's on a lot of best-of lists, but I can get the argument that it doesn't get the attention of other Millar Marvel comics like Civil War and Old Man Logan.
    Because Millar with Marvel Knights Spider-Man just told a really good story. Civil War and Old Man Logan were deliberately intended and written to be as shocking and provocative as Marvel would let him get away with, so there was a lot of mainstream buzz that his MK Spider-Man didn't get. That, and the very premise of Civil War was shocking and provocative as well --- superheroes going to war with each other over whether or not they should allow themselves to be regulated by the government and/or other state or state-sanctioned actors, precipitated by a literally disastrous attempt at crimefighting by reckless young superheroes.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Webspinners: Tales of Spider-Man #7-9, the senior prom story.

BANNED

To me truly underrated (i.e obscure and little known) Spider-Man stories is stuff like:

ASM #91-92. The most politically charged stories Stan Lee put out in his entire run on Spider-Man, and still so all these years later. To me this rather than the so-called Drug Trilogy, is Lee-Romita's last great story.

Roger Stern's "The Daydreamers" which happens to be Stern's own favorite of his stories but is criminally underrated even among all his other stuff. To me this story would rank high in my list of best Spider-Man stories.

The Owl/Octopus War by Bill Mantlo. Mantlo and Milgrom tell a 7-Part story involving Spider-Man, Black Cat, and Octopus. And it ends with the all-time greatest Spider-Man Octopus fight in any medium...yeah that's right it's a fight that even Spider-Man 2 and its train scene can't hold a candle too.

Stan Lee and Marcos Martin's Spidey Sunday Spectacular. This back-up strips that Lee and Martin did is really hilarious and visually brilliant like nothing else. It's by far the best thing to come out of the entire BND era, even if the content is a scathing mockery of that era.

Paul Jenkins' run on Spectacular Spider-Man is generally underrated. Let me stump a word for "Read 'Em and Weep".

In the BND Era, Gerry Conway's SPIRAL was something I thought was underrated. It definitely influenced the PS4 game and it's portrayal of Yuri Watanabe and the crime scene of New York.

Jody Houser's run on RENEW YOUR VOWS from RYV#13-21 and Spider-Girls is generally far less well known than Conway's and Slott's. But for me this was the best run on that. I'd like to stump a word for RYV#19, the best single issue of that run, and to me it's up there with Fraction's Annual as a defining Spider-Man/MJ story albeit it does so in a more low-key way.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I think a couple of these picks are far from underrated (especially Death of Jean DeWolff which I see on a lot of Spider-Man Best Of lists - admittedly, quite deservedly) but overall I agree that they all deserve love.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

This one for sure

Incredible Member

Most of them on list are overrated.

How about:

1. Amazing Spider-Man Annual #4 - Spider-Man & the Human Torch, vs Mysterio & Wizard, throughout a movie set, complete with giant robot gorilla
    2. Amazing Spider-Man #59-61 - Spider-Man vs the Brainwasher, aka Kingpin, Mary Jane's club dancing, and temporary difficulties with Gwen Stacy over George's brainwashed attack
    3. Amazing Spider-Man #130-131 - Doctor Octopus almost married Aunt May
    4. Amazing Spider-Man #143 - 144 - #143 primarily because of Peter Parker & Mary Jane's first kiss
    5. Amazing Spider-Man #191-192 - Professor Smythe's dying revenge, involved strapping a bomb on Spidey and Jonah
    6. Amazing Spider-Man Annual #19 - J. Jonah Jameson & Marla Madison's wedding
    7. Amazing Spider-Man #307-309 - Mary Jane kidnapped by obsessed fan, Jonathan Caesar, while Spidey contends against Styx and Stone
    8. Spectacular Spider-Man #186-188 - Vulture, at the time with cancer, murdered Gregory Bestman, and feeling remorse for Nathan Lubensky's death, seeked Aunt May's forgiveness
    8. Spectacular Spider-Man #190 - Green Goblin (Harry Osborn) paid Rhino to assault Spider-Man, with telling him to keep on repeating "Parker" for extra rattlement
    10. Untold Tales of Spider-Man #13 - To all whose read Untold Tales of Spider-Man, Sally Avril was actually a pretty fun character once

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I think a couple of these picks are far from underrated (especially Death of Jean DeWolff which I see on a lot of Spider-Man Best Of lists - admittedly, quite deservedly) but overall I agree that they all deserve love.
    The problem to me, on the Sin Eater story, is that Jean Dewolff, like Gwen Stacy pre-Spider-Gwen, all she is known for by the Spider-fans today, is for dying. How about stories that took place while she was still living, like when she coughed up the paperwork to clear Black Cat of previous criminal past in Amazing Spider-Man #226-227, or that nutty time Black Cat crashed into her office, much to her annoyance, in Spectacular Spider-Man #90?

Another thing I once found amusing when reading past Spider-books, that I miss, was Green Goblin's "Gotcha". A nutty, simple little prank to emotionally torment Peter, throughout distresses, such as harmless explosive with confetti gift box in Spectacular Spider-Man #189, his "will" in Spectacular Spider-Man #204, the program activation to reveal he was behind Peter's artificial parents in Amazing Spider-Man, and during Spidey's nightmare sequence on Spider-Man #51, Spidey once and for all, told off nightmare-induced Green Goblin that he hasn't "Got him".
    Last edited by ngroove; 05-29-2019 at 10:29 PM.