Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 42
  1. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    The problem to me, on the Sin Eater story, is that Jean Dewolff, like Gwen Stacy pre-Spider-Gwen, all she is known for by the Spider-fans today, is for dying. How about stories that took place while she was still living, like when she coughed up the paperwork to clear Black Cat of previous criminal past in Amazing Spider-Man #226-227, or that nutty time Black Cat crashed into her office, much to her annoyance, in Spectacular Spider-Man #90?
    She's also there in The Owl/Octopus War, a better story than The Death of Jean deWolff, you heard it here first.

  2. #17
    Spectacular Member JTait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    174

    Default

    As others have mentioned, a couple of the stories on there aren't particularly underrated at all.

    Maybe Next Year definitely belongs on the list, and in truth you can take your pick from most of the one shot issues that Paul Jenkins wrote at the time - they are consistently excellent.

    It feels like a bit of a cop out including the Brand New Day era as a whole. I do agree that it included some really underrated story arcs. My choice would have been Peter Parker Paparazzi.

    I have no idea how 'Worldwide' made it onto the list. It is average at best and considering the way it changed both Peter Parker and Spider-Man's character it was actually a really forgettable arc.

    There are a few arcs from the 90s that I would have liked to have seen on there. Media Blizzard (from the early Ben as Spider-Man era) was nothing earth shattering, but did a really good job of developing Ben's supporting cast alongside a fairly original and interesting scheme from a classic villain (with an underrated new look). Citizen Osborn by J.M DeMatteis is a really creepy and understand tale that underlines why Norman Osborn is such an effective Spider-Man villain.

    I think someone else mentioned Webspinners and I would agree that there are some excellent stories in the early part of the series. The Mysterio story that kicked off the series was a thoughtful, introspective and original take on the character with unique art (that has clearly put a lot of people off the story), while the Sandman story mentioned earlier is a classic slice of old school web-slinging action. Jenkins' Chameleon arc is great too, but I feel like that is quite highly rated.
    Last edited by JTait; 05-30-2019 at 01:27 AM.

  3. #18

    Default

    I get the impression that Christopher Yost's works are underrated. Really liked his Scarlet Spider-Man series with Kaine Parker and nobody does it better with the Superior Spider-Man.

  4. #19

    Default

    Puzzling to see Death of Jean DeWolff there. Worldwide sucks as did the previous volume of TASM before it.

  5. #20
    Incredible Member your_name_here's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    630

    Default

    Ultimate Clone Saga for me. Felt like a great climax to a lot of threads Bendis had been setting up for a while.

  6. #21
    Spectacular Member JTait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Ultimate Clone Saga for me. Felt like a great climax to a lot of threads Bendis had been setting up for a while.
    I feel like quite a lot of the Bendis/Bagley run on ASM could fit into this thread. Looking back it was absurdly consistent, with only a few arcs that I can remember not quite landing.

  7. #22
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,566

    Default

    Untold Tales of Spider-Man '96, where Spider-Man goes on a date with Invisible Girl.

    Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post


    This one for sure
    That was a great one!

    Quote Originally Posted by JTait View Post
    It feels like a bit of a cop out including the Brand New Day era as a whole.
    Agreed. The criteria was poorly defined. It's like doing an "underrated Star Trek stories" list and including a full season as one entry.

    Quote Originally Posted by JTait View Post
    I do agree that it included some really underrated story arcs. My choice would have been Peter Parker Paparazzi.
    That one was brilliant. I also loved Mark Waid and Marcos Martin's "Unscheduled Stop".
    Last edited by Lee; 05-30-2019 at 03:19 PM.

  8. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Ultimate Clone Saga for me. Felt like a great climax to a lot of threads Bendis had been setting up for a while.
    Good call. It's an excellent story largely overshadowed by the beginning and end of the Ultimate Peter Parker saga.

  9. #24
    Spider-Fan Since '95 WebSlingWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    She's also there in The Owl/Octopus War, a better story than The Death of Jean deWolff, you heard it here first.
    Oh for crying out loud, it's not a competition. You're trying to get someone riled up.
    The Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational Web-Slinger!

  10. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Oh for crying out loud, it's not a competition. You're trying to get someone riled up.
    Sorry. I was just saying that there are great stories with Jean deWolff where she's alive. There are great Gwen stories where she's alive too -- basically the entire stretch from ASM#87-92.

  11. #26

    Default

    "One Small Break" with the introduction of Fusion is probably my favorite Jenkins/ Buckingham story.

    The TPB might actually be the most underrated Spider-Man collection since it also has his Robot Master two-parter, and the Uncle Ben spotlight.

    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Oh for crying out loud, it's not a competition. You're trying to get someone riled up.
    It's actually an argument for Death of Jean Dewolff being underrated as a story.

  12. #27
    Spider-Fan Since '95 WebSlingWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    "One Small Break" with the introduction of Fusion is probably my favorite Jenkins/ Buckingham story.

    The TPB might actually be the most underrated Spider-Man collection since it also has his Robot Master two-parter, and the Uncle Ben spotlight.



    It's actually an argument for Death of Jean Dewolff being underrated as a story.
    "One Small Break" is one of the best Spider-Man stories ever in my opinion. Jenkins weaves so much into that story and it's awesome.
    The Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational Web-Slinger!

  13. #28
    Spider-Fan Since '95 WebSlingWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Sorry. I was just saying that there are great stories with Jean deWolff where she's alive. There are great Gwen stories where she's alive too -- basically the entire stretch from ASM#87-92.
    Okay, that makes sense then
    The Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational Web-Slinger!

  14. #29
    Moderator oldschool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    "One Small Break" is one of the best Spider-Man stories ever in my opinion. Jenkins weaves so much into that story and it's awesome.
    Agreed. And Fusion was one of the better (if not best) villains introduced post-Venom/Carnage and I am shocked that another writer has not used him. (Maybe someone has; correct me if I'm wrong but no one comes to mind at the moment).
    I miss Kevin Nichols. Not as much as bacon, but still...

  15. #30
    Spider-Fan Since '95 WebSlingWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Agreed. And Fusion was one of the better (if not best) villains introduced post-Venom/Carnage and I am shocked that another writer has not used him. (Maybe someone has; correct me if I'm wrong but no one comes to mind at the moment).
    Jenkins brought him back in issue 39 only for Doctor Octopus to brutalize him and beat him to near death. So that probably discouraged others from using him Haha
    The Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational Web-Slinger!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •