Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I miss Tom Taylor. Right now almost everyone is pretending to hate him, until a few years later, when everyone starts going on about how great he was. Poor Hickman, he's going to be extremely hated by the end of the year.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    What about Laura Kinney in her time as Wolverine, also written by Tom Taylor? Say what you will in light of her bloody past, but she was doing her best to uphold the higher ideals of being a superhero, to the point she actually called out the superhero community as a whole in her tie-in to Civil War II for failing those ideals by (once again) letting themselves be divided and set upon each other by ultimately petty disagreements. Maybe a little too preachy, but given the debacle that event, along with the following Inhumans Vs. X-Men and Secret Empire, turned out to be, it's hard to say she didn't have a very strong point, if not a higher claim to heroism than most of the major participants.
    Shes one of the few characters that generally wants to be held accountable when she screwups.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Nightcrawler , far as senior X-Men go. Otherwise, probably gonna have to look to some younger characters. Jubilee, Bling, Chamber. I don't think any of them are too dubious. All the other X-Men fall under grey territory.

Emma Frost.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    None of them.
    Maybe not these days, but back in the day when they were all about fighting for a world that feared and hated them . . . that to me was the highest ideal of heroism possible. It's easy to fight for a world that rewards you with accolades and glory. It's hard to fight for a world that would just as soon have you extinct or at best just not want you anywhere near them or their kids. Fighting for that world, anyway, because it's your world, too, whether they want to accept it or not . . . that is and was true heroism to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tornshattered View Post
    I miss Tom Taylor. Right now almost everyone is pretending to hate him, until a few years later, when everyone starts going on about how great he was. Poor Hickman, he's going to be extremely hated by the end of the year.
    Hey, I'm liking his Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man --- and still yearning for a team-up with Laura (and Gabby) Kinney written by him. As for Jonathan Hickman, I sincerely wish him a successful campaign to revitalize the X-Men. Hmm, wasn't he the guy who came up with Nation X (or X-Nation) during the Time Runs Out storyline immediately preceding Secret Wars?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Was Tom Taylor too good, like, literally too morally pure of a soul for the hard-ball playing X-Men?
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Hmm, wasn't he the guy who came up with Nation X (or X-Nation) during the Time Runs Out storyline immediately preceding Secret Wars?
    Yep, and what a shame he didn't took over immediately after SW, like he wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by tornshattered View Post
    I miss him too. H eis one of my favorite writers.

I guess Jean, Kurt are the traditional heroes. Heart and soul of x-men

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Was Tom Taylor too good, like, literally too morally pure of a soul for the hard-ball playing X-Men?
    Probably. X-men fans have to destroy every good thing involved in the xmen because we cant complaine about not having nice things if we have mice things.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Dazzler all da way

What about Laura Kinney in her time as Wolverine, also written by Tom Taylor? Say what you will in light of her bloody past, but she was doing her best to uphold the higher ideals of being a superhero, to the point she actually called out the superhero community as a whole in her tie-in to Civil War II for failing those ideals by (once again) letting themselves be divided and set upon each other by ultimately petty disagreements. Maybe a little too preachy, but given the debacle that event, along with the following Inhumans Vs. X-Men and Secret Empire, turned out to be, it's hard to say she didn't have a very strong point, if not a higher claim to heroism than most of the major participants.
    I think she works fighting for higher ideals, but destined by her background and even her own powers to not be able to be a good representative for those ideals. Any character who has feral rage as a power and has blades as a weapon and a body count as high as she does... its going to be hard being a representative for any length of time in that department.

Jean like Xavier I believe works best as a representative of the ideals even they might not be living up to those ideals.

For Scott its a question does he work better as a representative of old Xavier's ideals as he did from the 60s to the 90s or the version of Scott that started appearing early last decade?
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-29-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    I think she works fighting for higher ideals, but destined by her background and even her own powers to not be able to be a good representative for those ideals. Any character who has feral rage as a power and has blades as a weapon and a body count as high as she does... its going to be hard being a good representative for any length of time in that department.

Jean like Xavier I believe works best as a representative of the ideals even they might not be living up to those ideals.

For Scott its a question does he work better as a representative of old Xavier's ideals as he did from the 60s to the 90s or the version of Scott that started appearing early last decade?
    Laura doesn't have feral rage, she restrained and controlled; except when being written by someone who just thinks she's Logan but ****.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    Darn, I forgot about Firestar, yeah, she is definitely like Kurt and falls under the hero archetype.
    Maybe Gentle?

How were Taylor's X-Men traditional heroes. They sliced their enemies hand off. He was confused as to what he wanted. Additionally the series was trash with little nuance and neoliberal rather then socially aware.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

I think none of them is the best answer. The x-men are very different from the Avengers. The Avengers are made up of individual heroes, the X-men are mutants banded together to save those that fear and hate them with the end goal of peaceful coexistence. As a unit, they are heroes. Individually, they are flawed human beings forced to fight for civil rights. Considering one X-man member more important than another betrays the concept of the X-men in my opinion. The only mutant that is truly most essential, is Xavier for starting it all. Even then, he's nothing without the rest of them. I think it's the perfect allegory for uniting those different and achieving greatness as a whole.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia