Page 103 of 875 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153203603 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 13124

Thread: The Complex

A bit of humour... Just saw this ad. Looks like it's not only the Avengers who are appropriating X-Men tropes.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald_616 View Post
    This quote from the IGN article perfectly sums up why Bendis was not a good choice, despite being Marvel's star writer. He's like the Mariah Carey of Marvel. All hype, no substance and follow-through

The only good thing about Austen's run was Polaris. She was finally established as Magneto's daughter (and may be the only one he as left!) and had a period of tremendous growth after that culminating in her speech on Genosha in the finally two issues of him on Uncanny. Then Milligan came and continued her growth!!
    I actually liked Juggernaut as a hero.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kumiho View Post
    Hmmm.. Wolverine: Dead, Xavier: Dead, Magneto: Perhaps to die in Secret wars, Beast: Facing trial, Mystique: ..... dead by end of Wolverines?I(Prediction!)

The X-Characters who have made the bulk of the cast for the last few movies, all going out the door in the comics? I could certainly see it at this rate.
    Yeah, that's pretty obvious isn't it?

I just wish Quesada and the others wouldn't be so petulant about it.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    A bit of humour... Just saw this ad. Looks like it's not only the Avengers who are appropriating X-Men tropes.
    That is actually pretty funny

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Funny thing is, the X-Men have oppose some of the Earth's mightiest threats.

This is why the "oppressed X-Men minority" analogy just never works for me. The X-Men do good things! But they're still hated?

Their overall narrative never works, considering all the other things that go on in the universe.

IMO, the Marvel Universe(s) would be best served showing two narratives. One where the heroes are hailed (and occasionally berated for their actions [ala Civil War]) and another universe were the heroes (mutants) are mostly despised despite what they do.
    It still completely works for me.

Reason?

They have, indeed, faced some of the Earth's mightiest threats -- and yet they still don't get the respect the Avengers get from the ordinary people of the Marvel Universe.

They're still hated and feared. And that's what bigotry is: it's irrational.

Hah, this is the commercial that forced me to buy some Reese's when I was at the grocery store yesterday... sigh, I can be so weak-willed when it comes to junk food sometimes. ;P
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Quote Originally Posted by AgentFelix View Post
    It's true. The world that reveres the FF and Avengers by all rights SHOULDN'T hate the X-Men and Spiderman
    no, they shouldn't. people also shouldn't hate other people for being black or gay or have down syndrome. but they do.

logic rarely applies when it comes to hating other people.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    no, they shouldn't. people also shouldn't hate other people for being black or gay or have down syndrome. but they do.

logic rarely applies when it comes to hating other people.
    But even the illogic of hate stretches in this scenario. If someone with powers is about to save a guy does he ask wait are you a mutant or were you bitten by gamma rays before thanking. You would think the irrational hate would go to all powers except for the celebrity ones like Cap

BANNED

The main reason behind hating mutants (being afraid of their often dangerous powers) is sound and logical. If you tell me that you'd openly accept living next to a woman who could manipulate and read your mind without any trepidation, I'd call you delusional (please note: I didn't even say this woman was necessarily a mutant).

This logic breaks down when people can't accept mutants, but can accept other heroes with similar powers. It's comic book logic.

Being comic book logic, I can accept it as it is (much like I "accept" a man flying unaided), it still just doesn't make a lick of sense.
    Last edited by Star_Jammer; 02-22-2015 at 08:32 PM.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    But even the illogic of hate stretches in this scenario. If someone with powers is about to save a guy does he ask wait are you a mutant or were you bitten by gamma rays before thanking. You would think the irrational hate would go to all powers except for the celebrity ones like Cap
    A lot of racists can cheer for NFL teams full of Black people or listen to Black music artists.

How people interact with a celebrity can be very different than how they'd react to that same person living in their neighborhood, teaching their kids, dating their daughter or their child coming out. Anyone can be a mutant. Mutants live among the broader society. Not anyone can take steroids and become Captain America or build a suit of armor and be Iron Man and the Avengers and FF don't live normal lives.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    A lot of racists can cheer for NFL teams full of Black people or listen to Black music artists.

How people interact with a celebrity can be very different than how they'd react to that same person living in their neighborhood, teaching their kids, dating their daughter or their child coming out. Anyone can be a mutant. Mutants live among the broader society. Not anyone can take steroids and become Captain America or build a suit of armor and be Iron Man and the Avengers and FF don't live normal lives.
    This!

Bigotry, hate, etc is selective, irrational, and follows no rules. Whether it makes sense or not, logical or not, some people just have their minds made up about certain people. This is why the mutant metaphor does work in my view, and why I love the xmen so much.

I will say that I find it interesting to wonder whether some people would enjoy the xmen anymore if they were, in fact, no longer hated and feared by the world. Would people stop relating to them if they were no longer oppressed, and therefore not care about the xmen as much anymore? Just a rhetorical question I pomder from time to time.

X-Men: DoFP didn't win the Best Special Effects Oscar. :'(
    Even the Academy hates mutants! :P
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

X-Men: DoFP didn't win the Best Special Effects Oscar. :'(
    Even the Academy hates mutants! :P
    To be fair, neither did GotG (which deserves props for the fantastic CGI on Rocket, Groot, the ships, & the outer space shots). Interstellar ended up winning.
    Marvel Fan (Avengers, Guardians, Spider-Man, X-Men, Inhumans, you name it), DC Fan (Too Many Just to Name), Smash Wii U Tournament Organizer/Competitive Player, Overall Gamer

good afternoon, complex.

msnbc recently ran an article claiming SILK to be marvel comics' first asian american female superhero. obviously, this is a lie. one explanation for this untruth could be interpreted as "first asian american female superhero to carry a solo."

again, another untruth. that honor goes to jubilee.

more evidence that mutant lives don't matter?

http://www.msnbc.com/jose-diaz-balar...d-401376323565

good afternoon, complex.

msnbc recently ran an article claiming SILK to be marvel comics' first asian american female superhero. obviously, this is a lie. one explanation for this untruth could be interpreted as "first asian american female superhero to carry a solo."

Oh come on! Now they are hating on my home girl Jubes? This means WAR! Grrr!

I hate lazy journalism...don't just repeat the bloody press release!

Re: Mutant Hate in the MU - The mutant hate vs other superheroes is both explainable and unexplainable. One could say that mutants are hated on more than other heroes because mutants are born of humans. Mutants are not caused by cosmic rays, gamma radiation, super serums, radioactive spiders, Gods, or from other dimensions/planets. They are human, they are the natural progression of human DNA. They are hated because they represent something new and inconceivable that is directly tied to/hides within normal humans.

Now, there have been other superheroes who have gotten hate for being "freaks" the early ff, spider-man, Thor, etc. But eventually that hate was squelched because 2 reasons:

1)Their "freakishness" was not natural. It was the mostly the product of something else, or in Thor's case not being human at all.

2)The MU American government backs these superheroes and actually pays(or paid) for most of them to exist within the MU. Mutants have had to fight for their rights to exist and to be treated like everyone else even though they are natural born citizens the same as everyone else in MU!America. They other heroes have government and public approval and even the love of the public.

I agree that the mutant metaphor isn't always done justice by Marvel, but there's a real solid ground for that metaphor. It's too bad that Marvel hasn't caught on to that yet.

good afternoon, complex.

I guess Cassandra Cain is just chopped liver?
    Last edited by teddyeatsyourface; 02-23-2015 at 12:25 PM.