Page 8 of 875 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108508 ... LastLast

Thread: The Complex

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardEugenius View Post
    Bleeding Cool Reports: Tom Brevoort Semi-Confirms Reduction In Prominence Of X-Men At Marvel
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/08/...edium=facebook
    Remember you heard it here first folks!
    It's not a unreasonable choice for the business but well, announcing it as a editor is totally unwise.
    In dog days, all we need is Frost.

Unglaublich!

Considering that people are wondering if Marvel are going to retcon mutants into really being Inhumans the whole time, thus making Inhumans into the next hot property and circumventing Fox's hold on the term "mutant" - has anyone considered the following possibility:

When Wanda uttered the fateful words "No more mutants," why did some keep their powers? Is it because those that did are actually (at least partly, if not wholly) Inhumans rather than "pure" mutants and thus unaffected by her spell...?

It'd give Marvel a clever way to allow them to keep their flagship characters without necessarily having to undo decades of continuity for an entire species, whereas they can just play about with the backstory for a comparative handful of their top-tier X-heroes and villains.

I'm not saying I want them to do this, by any means. It'd certainly be a plausible (maybe?) explanation as to why Wanda's spell wasn't all-encompassing, and also give them the means to Inhuman-ise the X-men.

Thoughts?

While such "trickery" might work on some obscure mutants like Toro I imagine that most of the relevant ones (like original 5, Wolverine, Magneto and so on) are explicatively named in the contract and retconing their origin in the comics won't change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    While such "trickery" might work on some obscure mutants like Toro I imagine that most of the relevant ones (like original 5, Wolverine, Magneto and so on) are explicatively named in the contract and retconing their origin in the comics won't change anything.
    Right, no amount of origin tinkering by Marvel can take these characters from Fox. I believe the contract with Fox holds for all X-men - whether they are suddenly turned human, inhuman, or into a three-legged Rhino. For example - Fox had every legal right to use Jubilee in DOFP, even though she's no longer a mutant and is now a vampire. Fox could use her by the virtue of fact that she is part of the X-men.

The only way Marvel could trick Fox out of gaining any more new characters is to stop adding either new X-Men or mutants to the current line.

Look the "Marvel doesn't like us" thing isn't new, it's been going on for years. Not just since Fox got the rights or Disney bought Marvel. Take the whole Hama/GenX/internet debacle from the 90s. Joe Quesada was never our biggest supporter - his always felt the X-Men are way too complex and sprawling.

Saying all that, the X-Men are still here. They haven't cancelled them yet. Why? Well the X-Men make good merch/licencing money and if there's one thing Disney likes - it's merch. Remember Marvel does make money off the Fox films too, although not as much as if Marvel made them. I can understand that younger fans might be feeling insecure, but anyone thirty and up should be use to this by now. X-fans have been proclaiming the end is nigh since the internet became a thing.

The worse thing that'll ever come of this, is that the X-Men will be shoved back into their own corner of the M universe and frankly I'm fine with that. We'll no longer be slaves to these mandated universe cross-overs or be jobbed out to the Avengers. We'll return to where we were in the mid 90s.

Look if you're worried about some weird voodoo cancellation, don't be. I'd be more worried about Bendis' fourteenth? month plan for the X-Men and the total silliness that might lead to.
    Last edited by Beezzi; 08-04-2014 at 04:39 AM.

BANNED

What i find quite odd is why some posters are so concerned with squashing any and all discussion in regards to the possibility of any of this being true. No smoke without fire.

Praiseworthy Analyst Emerald_616's Avatar

Ok, I have seen some posts that have officially made this thread jump the shark for me. People are mentioning how the X-Men will be less a part of the Marvel U as a whole, while two years ago people were throwing a fit over attempts "integrate" the X-Men more with the rest of Earth-616 when Marvel NOW! was launching. Isn't the Internet fun????

Quote Originally Posted by Beezzi View Post
    The only way Marvel could trick Fox out of gaining any more new characters is to stop adding either new X-Men or mutants to the current line.
    This, so much. There's about 100 characters without counting villains, human allies, and splinter groups like the remaining Morlocks and such. The X-Books DO NOT NEED more characters. At this point, creating more is such a cliched trope for incoming writers that it should be banned by X-Editorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Agreed. I really hope they keep Spurrier on XF and that that Bleeding Cool rumor of a creative shuffle was wrong.
    why? that book is a disaster

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald_616 View Post
    Ok, I have seen some posts that have officially made this thread jump the shark for me. People are mentioning how the X-Men will be less a part of the Marvel U as a whole, while two years ago people were throwing a fit over attempts "integrate" the X-Men more with the rest of Earth-616 when Marvel NOW! was launching. Isn't the Internet fun????

This, so much. There's about 100 characters without counting villains, human allies, and splinter groups like the remaining Morlocks and such. The X-Books DO NOT NEED more characters. At this point, creating more is such a cliched trope for incoming writers that it should be banned by X-Editorial.
    They can disband X-Men teams ("make the X-Men less a part of the Marvel U as a whole") and integrate individual characters into various Avengers teams like they've been doing since 2005 ("integration")

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardEugenius View Post
    All this moving of the goal posts needs to stop.

First, people vehemently rebuked the idea of Marvel promoting the Avengers at the cost of the X-Men.
    Then, people were riddled with disbelief when talk of Marvel decreasing the X-Men's prominence because of film rights
    Next, people ignored all evidence to the contrary and insisted that Marvel would never cancel,diminish, or shunt the X-Men comics off into some cheap janitor's closet of a universe
    After that, the aforementioned people scoffed at the idea of Marvel turning mutants into humans
    Later, when Marvel transformed Torro into an Inhuman, more people lifted their heads from the sand only to bury them again after insisting that Torro's conversion was inconsequential
    Now, after years of Marvel Editorial denying that there was ANY sort of anti-X agenda, Tom Brevoort finally tells the truth.
    However, those very same people are still insisting that we move along because there's nothing to see here.

none of this is true.

Avengers got big because of Downey jr and Joss WHedon. So Marvel started focusing on those comics more. NOONE HAS EVER REBUKED this.

You think the X-men line has been shunted? WIth Bendis, Immonen, Bachalo, Golden Boy Aaron? Gillen got to do 17 issues of Generation Hope forcsake! (underrated book!)
    one thousand WOlverine books, with creators clamoring to work on him (Just got a Savage WOlverine title with everyone doing a story, from CHO, colorist supreme Richard Isanove to Gail Simone)
    Age Of Apocalypse series by indy standout David Lapham and a thousand other ancillary series
    Storm ON-going!!!!!

Edit: Mike Marts, the editor of the biggest comic character in the world, just left that franchise to head the X-men books

you still think the X-men are shunted into a closet?

Quote Originally Posted by Optic Rage! View Post
    What i find quite odd is why some posters are so concerned with squashing any and all discussion in regards to the possibility of any of this being true. No smoke without fire.
    are you talking about the X-line being cancelled and the mutants being turned into Inhumans?

Yeah they ain't happening

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Avengers got big because of Downey jr and Joss WHedon. So Marvel started focusing on those comics more. NOONE HAS EVER REBUKED this.
    No, Marvel started focusing and pushing the Avengers ever since HoM. That was step one, because it cut at the X-Men potential movement.

You think the X-men line has been shunted? WIth Bendis, Immonen, Bachalo, Golden Boy Aaron? Gillen got to do 17 issues of Generation Hope forcsake! (underrated book!)
    Bendis has his fans, but he also has his haters. I'm not a fan and I don't believe he has talent. His books will sell, but do you really think most fans think the franchise should focus on the 05? I know some people miss Jean, but still. Ugh. Though he's not as bad as some others...

Immonon and the others get shifted constantly. And as others have pointed out Bendis book is being used as a cross-promotion platform, it's already had heavy involvement with GotG.

Gilien's run was too short, especially on Uncanny, he should've around stayed longer.

one thousand WOlverine books, with creators clamoring to work on him (Just got a Savage WOlverine title with everyone doing a story, from CHO, colorist supreme Richard Isanove to Gail Simone)
    Age Of Apocalypse series by indy standout David Lapham and a thousand other ancillary series
    Storm ON-going!!!!!
    Wolverine and X-Men fans are not synonymous. He's his own thing and Marvel has always known he's profitable. That why he was thrown in with the Avengers.

Non of those anchillary series get the support or marketing the franchises Marvel really cares about get. And that's why they never stick around long. And yes, we've finally gotten Storm a solo which is great, but it means nothing if the franchise she stands on doesn't have a solid direction and is floundering.

Mike Marts, the editor of the biggest comic character in the world, just left that franchise to head the X-men books

you still think the X-men are shunted into a closet?
    Yes, where is the support in other mediums? Where is the solid direction? Why is there no stability in the X-books and why does editorial keep them in a box, preventing writers from really playing with the concept? Quesada said there was too many mutants, but his statement hasn't really done anything to curb the titles or huge number of characters. All it did was damage the theme, which hurts a lot more.

fair enough chronorogue

Some of us think the Franchise as a whole is still viable and still entertaining. And that Doomsday is not approaching.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald_616 View Post

There are possibly 100 or 200 mutants left, so what exactly do you mean by characters not counting villians, human allies, and splinter groups like the remaining morlocks( BTW do you recall the last story they were in and what happened?). Creating new mutant characters were banned for a long time and it has resulted in the crappy stories we have had.This is why the x-men have done nothing but fight each other or sentinels. How is introducing new characters to create new stories cliché that is what keeps books fresh and exciting.Have you been reading X-men lately?You do realize that they had that mandate since House of M since up to the 5 lights handed down from the Purifiers(whoops I meant Marvel editorial).

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    fair enough chronorogue

Some of us think the Franchise as a whole is still viable and still entertaining. And that Doomsday is not approaching.
    I don't know if Marvel would ever really cancel the X-Men... but I don't put it pass them to have seriously talked about it before and they've definitely shifted resources (which is still bad).

BANNED

It's the logic of neoliberalism. Some of us seem to get that. They're going to go for profit maximization in all areas, and the drain from the X-Men will only accelerate as cross-marketing helps the other franchises.