Page 825 of 875 FirstFirst ... 325725775815821822823824825826827828829835 ... LastLast
Results 12,361 to 12,375 of 13124

Thread: The Complex

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Marvel gets a billion a year off Spider-Man merchandise. Merch > Movie Rights

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    or second worst if we adjust for ticket price inflation
    It doesn't matter. Fox is nowhere near as desperate as Sony. Spider-Man is all Sony's got in terms of lucrative franchises, now that they are losing the rights to even Bond. Fox's big gun besides the mutants is Avatar, and they have a strong and critical darling in the Planet of the Apes franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    It doesn't matter. Fox is nowhere near as desperate as Sony. Spider-Man is all Sony's got in terms of lucrative franchises, now that they are losing the rights to even Bond. Fox's big gun besides the mutants is Avatar, and they have a strong and critical darling in the Planet of the Apes franchise.
    Really? How did that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Really? How did that happen?
    Their deal was expiring and the owners of the Bond rights are now looking at other, better options who are interested like WB and Universal:

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    That's an unusual arrangement. Given the amount of money Spider-Man generates, I'm surprised Marvel didn't negotiate some kind of revenue sharing of the box office total. As far as I know, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, Marvel/Disney still get some share of revenue from Fox for every X-men/F4 movie. Unless that "producing fee" that the article mentioned is very generous, it seems like an unusual deal.

Then again, Spider-Man is a unique case. The fact that Marvel owns the merchandising rights is probably a huge factor. Spider-Man, more than any other character, profits immensely from merchandising. His merch generates around a billion dollars a year and the next closest hero, Batman, generates less than half that. I think Marvel/Disney may be content to get its profits from those avenues and let Sony keep the crumbs from the movie.

Even so, they're leaving money on the table. That's usually not like Marvel/Disney. It also makes their treatment of X-men and the F4 a bit more curious because I think they still have most of the merchandising rights for them as well. If a company like Gazillion wants to license them, they go to Marvel, not Fox. There are probably all sorts of other factors that we don't know about, but this shows that the politics within Marvel/Disney are unique.
    The thing is, with Sony the deal these days is that Sony gets all the box office money but Marvel/Disney keeps all the merch money and with Spidey that means that they get A LOT. So it's way more preferable for Marvel/Disney to agree to a deal where they give up the box office in order to get the merch money + a production fee when the other option would have been that they would have gotten small percentage of the box office & had to share the merch money with Sony (which was the original deal I believe).
    So probably Marve/Disney simply looked at the options & realized that this one was infinitely better and more lucrative than the old one.
    And then there is of course the fact that getting Spidey into MCU right now was the perfect thing since most of the Avengers are going out the door pretty soon and they need someone to replace them. Not to mention that Spidey is basically the Marvel equivalent of Mickey Mouse. He's the company mascot so any chance to regain control of his rights was very important to Marvel as a company. And we've seen that even back in the day when Sony hadn't yet agreed to share Spidey w/ Marvel/Disney that they weren't treating him nearly as badly as they were treating the X-Men/F4. It was probably the combination of Marvel having a better relationship with Sony than Fox, Sony already being in a situation where them making a deal with Marvel was getting more & more likely every day AND Spidey simply being too damn important for Marvel to be able to completely phase him out of the picture (even though they certainly did give it their best effort to have Iron Man become the new company mascot at one point).
    Last edited by JustAnotherFan; 06-29-2017 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    I guess I don't get why this hasn't happened with the X-Men.

http://www.cbr.com/spider-man-homeco...ce-sony-disney

If Disney isn't getting any money from Homecoming because they can market Spider Man and get money that way then why won't that work with the X-Men? Makes me think Fox probably shot them down.
    Because FOX still owns the original trilogy of Star Wars; and the episode IV permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    or second worst if we adjust for ticket price inflation
    And since when the adjust for inflation works like that ?.

BANNED

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lis...ability-977493

Deadpool killed it for Fox. The anti-hero hit helped the studio with a $783 million global box-office haul. Add to that the $544 million that X-Men: Apocalypse brought in (though a disappointment), and a TV production business that is a profit engine, and the studio posted a $1.3 billion profit, up 21 percent from a weak 2015, making for the strongest gain among all majors last year. Strong home entertainment performance from The Martian and a licensing deal with Hulu for the Showtime hit Homeland also helped the unit. Looking at 2017, the overperformance of Hidden Figures will mostly benefit the new calendar year since the wide release of the film (now over $150 million in the U.S.) falls into the year, even though the movie was first released in a limited run in 2016 for awards purposes.
    Yeah FOX definitely is in as dire straits as Sony...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    And since when the adjust for inflation works like that ?.
    More people watched Last Stand than any movie from second trilogy. Only that.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    Adjusting for inflation they had to have made something similar back in the 90's off the X-Men. They used to be everywhere. Pizza Hut, pogs, shirts, hats, figures that nearly took up a whole toy isles etc.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    Adjusting for inflation they had to have made something similar back in the 90's off the X-Men. They used to be everywhere. Pizza Hut, pogs, shirts, hats, figures that nearly took up a whole toy isles etc.
    I'm speaking specifically about Sony & Marvel.

But X-MEN are done. FOX killed it. As far as X-MEN in Marvel vs Capcom idky everyone is acting brand new. They were never putting X-MEN in the game it was beyond obvious.

Go on eBay buy a PSPgo for 60$ and hack it. Play X-MEN Children of the Atom, X-MEN vs Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs Street Fighter, X-MEN Legends all for free.
    Last edited by ChildOfTheAtom; 06-29-2017 at 07:38 PM.

I'm speaking specifically about Sony & Marvel.

But X-MEN are done. FOX killed it. As far as X-MEN in Marvel vs Capcom idky everyone is acting brand new. They were never putting X-MEN in the game it was beyond obvious.

Go on eBay buy a PSPgo for 60$ and hack it. Play X-MEN Children of the Atom, X-MEN vs Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs Street Fighter, X-MEN Legends all for free.
    DisMarvel has at least half of the fault of that.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    DisMarvel has at least half of the fault of that.
    More like 4/5ths. X-Men as a brand was megapopular with Fox until Origins in 2009. But this was also the time that we got the very last X-toon with WatXM, and exactly when Disney bought Marvel and Ike Perlmutter began acting extremely petty.

Speaking of Petty Perlmutter, did you guys see how he dropped the crappy Inhumans trailer to clash with the critics embargo lifting for Spider-Man: Homecoming? That's just him trolling Kevin Feige and Sony. There's still a deep fracture within Marvel. Why should Fox make a deal with someone who is going to troll them regardless and deliberately and stupidly endanger value of their own properties? They aren't as needy as Sony and besides, the mutants never really fit properly with the rest of the Marvel Universe.

Maybe they could make a deal for FF but even there I think it is wiser that they try out the kid-friendly The Incredibles take by themselves first.

I think once Ike finally retires or decides to become a resigns to become Trump adviser or something, the Complex might lapse by quite a bit. From what it seems, Feige and a lot of the MCU brass really got nothing against Fox or the X-Men. It's really Ike that's pushing them out of pure pettiness

BANNED

Indeed such is the lesson George Lucas taught us all. MERCHANDISE > ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I think once Ike finally retires or decides to become a resigns to become Trump adviser or something, the Complex might lapse by quite a bit. From what it seems, Feige and a lot of the MCU brass really got nothing against Fox or the X-Men. It's really Ike that's pushing them out of pure pettiness
    Perlmutter is so spiteful that I'm sure he will leave no stone unturned ensuring someone of his own petty thinking and anti-Feige slant like his own son will succeed him. I think people who assume Fox making a deal with Marvel will end the downplaying of mutants and stop the crazy Inhumans push are naive.