Superhero comics have long history of fumbling the ball badly sometimes, requiring them to come up with some way to reverse themselves without totally contradicting the story they'd published.

One of the best examples was Geoff Johns's Parallax was the Yellow Impurity retcon from GL Rebirth because it not only retained almost everything that worked about Emerald Twilight and everything that followed, but managed to not only rehabilitate Hal Jordan and undo the damage done to the GL franchise, but also introduced a new element to the mythos that DC was able to mine successfully for many years to great critical and commercial success.

A less successful one, but still largely effective, was the retconning away of the death of Stephanie Brown at the hands of Leslie Thompkins by explaining that it was all a ruse concocted by Leslie to teach Batman a lesson about constantly putting underaged kids in mortal danger, and that Batman kinda suspected that all along. It was messier and less elegant than GL Rebirth, but it got the job done.

The most recent example of DC shooting itself in the foot would obviously be what just happened with Wally West in Heroes in Crisis.

So....how do they fix this mess. (Please save your "By firing Dan Didio" jokes/rants, thanks. There's other threads for that already)

The tricky part for me would be to not simply rehash what Johns did with Hal Jordan, but to do something appropriate to Wally's character that fits his history.

My initial idea would be to use Hunter Zolomon because his entire shtick has literally always been to make Wally a better hero by adding tragedy to his life. However, that feels like too much a straight swap of Sinestro with Zoom instead, so I'd bring in more Rogues and have it be this giant conspiracy of some of Wally's greatest foes all working to destroy him in mind, body and soul, like Abra Kadabra, who was somehow involved in Wally's erasure from history according to Abnett's Titans comics (which were so forgettable that I don't remember the exact details of right now). I'd also throw in Savitar's essense somehow getting inside Wally and turning his Speed Force into something lethal, which caused the explosion at Santuary. I'd probably throw Grodd in there for good measure because his mental powers could help explain the truly inexplicable decisions Wally was shown making in HiC.

Anyone else got any ideas for Wally or any other DC character or concept that you think has been broken by poor creative decisions?