Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

BTW, this whole Batman Who Laughs infecting six heroes with Dark Multiverse versions of themselves thing is the quickest and easiest solution for the Wally West situation.

I don't think that's necessarily what DC has planned, but if they wanted to salvage the situation real quick, that would be the play.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    BTW, this whole Batman Who Laughs infecting six heroes with Dark Multiverse versions of themselves thing is the quickest and easiest solution for the Wally West situation.

I don't think that's necessarily what DC has planned, but if they wanted to salvage the situation real quick, that would be the play.
    BWL New Secret Six is just another scheme by the editorial to screw over Titans and TT characters. It's definitely not coincidence that almost all of the potential suspects have ties to those franchises.
    Last edited by king81992; 05-31-2019 at 09:51 AM.

I think it would be probably the easiest fix but I don't think the huge negative reception of HiC would be enough for DC editorial to take the quick fix for Wally after all the trouble they went to in HiC in the first place.

Not only Wally, butmaybe another characters who could need a quick fix.

That said, Yes, the Dark multiverse infection is the fastest and easiest way to fix several characters at once, but, at least for me, I'm not very fond of massive solutions and prefer most the case on case fixes.
    I'm never liked how Johns made such a massive resurrection in Blackest Night, eve if some of those ressurections were well deserved.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Tenzel Kim View Post
    Had Dr. Manhattan do some more changing.

And Tenzel Kim for the win!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    1) It wasn't Wally's powers that caused the effect. It was part of a long term plan by Thawne (which included changing both Wally and Barry's history in Flashpoint).
    2) Sanctuary never existed- it was created by Abra Kadabra with 64th Century illusionary tech, just to set Wally up.
    3) Wally never came back- it's been a delusional Walter West, The Dark Flash, since Rebirth. His presence here was corrupting reality which is why people remembered things around him that they had "forgotten" previously.
    Sounds to me like the third one sounds more logical.

Of course, that would mean that Dr. Manhattan, rather than the cause, was a consequence of whatever is warping reality.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Sometimes, the unpaid, unknown fan does this better than the paid professional.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

True, but the fan has not to answer to the editor. (who is, the bigger responsable of what goes to print.)
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I'm gonna throw out my idea to fix John Stewart that i pitched a while ago. I want to make Xanshi impossible to be used as another excuse for him to be angsty, more clearly define what the UV/physiology change/Invisible Spectrum does or can do (this isn't somethingthat's "broken" because it's still unfolding but I wanna zero-in and fast track it), and use this as an opportunity to start making the Earth lanterns more distinct by giving his position as leader some more gravity.

I would start with the fact that he's a human power battery, we reintroduce the Guardians have been watching John closely since birth but we pull from Mosaic and say that they were watching him because they believed he would be the "Opener of Doors". This is where we tie back to Snyder's league, when Guardians saw John was investigating how to bring back Xanshi and started uncovering the secrets of the UV, Umbrax, and the Invisible Spectrum [from the beginning of JL], they believed the "Opener of Doors" may be a warning that he would be the one to unleash Umbrax onto the universe. So, without his knowledge, they created a contingency: John Stewart himself. They believed that if John is fated to encounter Umbrax that they can use him to defend against Umbrax; so they turned him into a fail safe that would activate if he was exposed to the Invisible Spectrum. They used the same brain re-wireing method they taught John to combat Fernus and made him more resistant to Umbrax's sway in the hope that they would be able to use John as a tool to harness and control the Invisible Spectrum to battle Umbrax if the time came. After the events of the JL, Umbrax is still lose in the galaxy and The Guardians believe that they made the right choice. This revelation leads to a conflict between John and the Guardians, John will not be a blind follower, it's why he was kicked from the marines, and he will not follow the Guardians if he can't trust them; they need to account for their actions.

Now mind you, all this takes place during/after whatever Justice-Doom war multiverse shenanigans Snyder has in store. Since we have no idea how they will end let's just assume at the end John is still the Human Power Battery with Invisible Spectrum under control and at his disposal. My interpretation of the Invisible Spectrum it works in two parts; Ultraviolet and Infrared. Ultraviolet is what we've seen, it brings whatever repressed, primal, hidden emotion to the surface to we used as a weapon. I would have the Infrared as more of a "thermal spectrum" that functions according to the users primal passion, the need to act; the more the user desires to do something the more mindless and fiery hot the Infrared makes them. lots of heat and magma imagery.

John leaves the Guardians, questioning if he should remain a part of the Corps and he goes where he always goes to think; the remains of the Xanshi system. John contemplates his career as a Green Lantern, and Xanshi, and how it always finds new ways to haunt him. First his initial guilt, then it was Fatality (her vengeance, her love, losing her love), then he had to fight black Lanterns on Xanshi, now this mess with the Guardians and the Invisible Spectrum. In a fit of frustration he tries again to recreate Xanshi out of willpower and he pushes his ring to his limit, only to remember HE is the ring now and he is not limited. He remembers what the World Forger said he needed to become in the Sixth Dimension, he was to be the builder of worlds. So he harnesses the power of the Invisible Spectrum, first he uses the Ultraviolet to bring forward the innate zeal for life that all humans have to draw on the White Light of life. Then he pulls from the Infrared, the will to act, to use it's cosmic heat to forge his creations into existence and, using his extensive knowledge of planets as leader of the Lantern Corps and his understanding of structures as an architect, he wills a new Xanshi into existence. This massive feat of power draws the attention of the Guardians, but not just the Guardians, but it also seemingly depletes John's connection to the Invisible Spectrum. He is still a human power ring and his physiology is still tied to the Emotional Spectrum though.

The Guardians see that John has restored Xanshi and there is life on it that will need to be protected. They recognize John's prestige as a Green Lantern, and elect him to oversee Xanshi. See, the new Xanshi isn't an exact replica because it's basically a new planet and, as a byproduct of it being forged with such massive output of Invisible Spectrum energy, Xanshi II is pretty much a dimensional fault line; making it more susceptible to interdimensional threats like Umbrax. John agrees to protect Xanshi but he refuses to follow the Guardians after they're breach of trust. the Guardians realize that too, and they decided that since they respect John's leadership ability as head of the Lantern Corps enough to entrust him with the task of opposing them (Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps) and John's ring can not be controlled or manipulated by the Guardians, John has earn a spot as a Guardian. The rationale being that John can act as a counterbalance and to always be able to provide a different perspective so they never cross the line unless they absolutely have to. This will be perfect for John because John has faced trauma growing up as a social activist in Detroit, trauma from blowing up Xanshi, trauma from losing Katma (I want it to be included that John still resents Carol on some level for this), trauma from killing Mogo, trauma from killing his fellow Lantern with his bare hands and trauma from falling in love with Fatality (his enemy) only to lose her to her hate, but he always emerges and has become a more emotionally intelligent man for it. He's still functions more or less the same as a Green Lantern but he has more autonomy, a less defined limit (a la Hal) because he acts as his own battery, Aquaman level physicality, and his uniform colors are changed to reflect his Guardian status.

As a Guardian of the Universe, John's new role is he oversees Xanshi II's development, becoming familiar with the new cultures emerging from the natives of new Xanshi and keeping the peace among tribes and factions; very much like John's Mosaic story in the the 90s (minus the pedophile writing it). He will also have counsel with the Guardians on Lantern and other universal matters, and battling threats to the planet; such as the threat of Umbrax returning. That leaves John with a unique role, a seat of prominence, that gives him something to work with narratively without having him "getting over" Xanshi for the umpteenth time.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-01-2019 at 01:41 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

As a Guardian of the Universe, John's new role is he oversees Xanshi II's development, becoming familiar with the new cultures emerging from the natives of new Xanshi and keeping the peace among tribes and factions; very much like John's Mosaic story in the the 90s (minus the pedophile writing it). He will also have counsel with the Guardians on Lantern and other universal matters, and battling threats to the planet; such as the threat of Umbrax returning. That leaves John with a unique role, a seat of prominence, that gives him something to work with narratively without having him "getting over" Xanshi for the umpteenth time.
    I'm curious. Would you deal with the idea that natives of Xanshi were cannibals at all?

I'm curious. Would you deal with the idea that natives of Xanshi were cannibals at all?
    I hadn't thought about that particular idea but I did want to have the new Xanshians be as culturally diverse as human, so cannibals wouldn't be off the table. I could see John being conflicted dealing with cannibals, struggling between steering their culture toward his own vision of order (like the worst Guardians would) or should he only regulate and facilitate. Or something else not off the top of my head there are a lot of ways you can go with cannibals.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

I hadn't thought about that particular idea but I did want to have the new Xanshians be as culturally diverse as human, so cannibals wouldn't be off the table. I could see John being conflicted dealing with cannibals, struggling between steering their culture toward his own vision of order (like the worst Guardians would) or should he only regulate and facilitate. Or something else not off the top of my head there are a lot of ways you can go with cannibals.
    Sounds great, man. I would love to see John in a Mosaic type setup again. It was such an interesting and unique role for him that fit him perfectly.

Fantastic Member

Knew it! Manhattan! LOL. We should print it off and glue it into issue #10. Can someone make sure Johns sees it, bet he would love it!

Sounds great, man. I would love to see John in a Mosaic type setup again. It was such an interesting and unique role for him that fit him perfectly.
    Thanks man! I was a little hesitant posting this idea again because it kinda bombed on the John thread when I pitched it. I mentioned I wanted the narrative to be more pro-black, even gave suggestions on how, and people focused on that, got in a huff, and ignored everything else.

This is a great idea for a thread btw, Ii's very cathartic. My question to you, if you could pick a character that you dislike or are aggressively apathetic toward (apparently that's a thing), new or old, how would you fix them?

currently following:

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Thanks man! I was a little hesitant posting this idea again because it kinda bombed on the John thread when I pitched it. I mentioned I wanted the narrative to be more pro-black, even gave suggestions on how, and people focused on that, got in a huff, and ignored everything else.

This is a great idea for a thread btw, Ii's very cathartic. My question to you, if you could pick a character that you dislike or are aggressively apathetic toward (apparently that's a thing), new or old, how would you fix them?
    For what it's worth, a lot of appreciation threads turn into a nexus for negativity and fan art. Sucks that's how it is, but there's a reason I stop posting or viewing them after a while.

I love a lot of your ideas for John and I think they address the biggest problem he's ever faced (one most GLs share) in differentiating himself from the rest. The only concern I'd really raise is that making him his own battery and giving him Aquaman's physicality reminds a bit of the Kyle Raynor Ion from his own series a while back. You may get a little pushback from editorial or fandom in that respect, but I genuinely love your ideas for giving John a clear direction and his own niche to develop in the GL corner. If you couldn't write the book, who is your short list for writers and who would you like to pair them with on artwork?

What? Who doesn't like playing backseat editor? :P