Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quit buying. Whether it be DC or King. Money talks. Once his Batman run is done, I have zero plans to buy anything else King does.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

wow.. This this this.

"Retaliation" over this comic book is shameful. Regardless of how you feel about it, this is still one writer's personal story of their relationship to PTSD. Also, this writer has received death threats over their art, so even starting a forum to contemplate "retaliation" is so so harmful.

Either don't buy it (and check yourself on this one cuz I'm sure some of you are accessing this comic for free in the first place) or, if you feel "betrayed" by the writing: WRITE YOUR OWN COMIC.

and if you're still angry at the world: FIX IT. Send water to flint, vote for access to abortion, support grassroots political efforts. Walk in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Retalliation is a heavy word. And conjures up images of torches and pitchforks.

The mob mentality gets us nowhere, but it's been mighty prevalent on the internet lately.
    I think the internet is shrinking people's Prefrontal Cortex.
    In the last week, I've seen two other 'calls to rise' that were even worse.

'Who's upset over our new Batman?' calling for people to use their entitlement to a character that doesn't belong to them to make Warner change who they cast for Batman.

'Who else is mad that DC Universe charges...' This was actually in a post on DC Universe's forum that appeared to be because a member's screen glitched and was showing everything locked. He should have reported the issue and asked what he needed to do to fix it.
    But instead, he jumped to conclusions, thought DC Universe was trying to get more money and figured it happened to everyone. In his post, he only had one question. And it wasn't 'What's wrong?' or 'Can someone help me?' It was 'Who else here is mad that DC Universe has premium content?' as he went on to grill the service for no reason and confuse everyone else.

Now, I'm not happy about Wally.
    And I have not been happy about Sue, Ralph, Ted, Max or Roy, either.

And I sure am not happy with the way DC's been ran in the last 15 years.

But all we can do is say we're not happy and choose another product over it.
    Buy more Marvel, try comics from other publishers.
    Maybe even write and/or draw your own comics taking this experience as a motivation to bring what you think is missing back into comics.
    Lee makes a lot of the same points I'd like to, so I've piggybacked onto his post.

Retaliate is too strong of a term for this. DC did nothing offensive. They published a series with major character and storytelling flaws. It happens. It always did and will probably happen in the future. Now had HiC made a grossly inaccurate statement or tone towards mental illness and results of trauma, then we're more able to respond. But bad story? Talk about it on the internet and let people know it sucked, find others to support or present alternatives to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
    Glad to see there are some cooler heads out here in internet land. Seriously, the level of vitriol has been off-putting in the extreme. Makes me long for the days when our chief point of communication as fans was either at conventions or in the letters published in the back of our favorite comics. I would not want to show a new fan trying to get into comic books a lot of what goes up on certain threads for fear of turning them off completely from the hobby. At the end of the day it's about reading what you like. Live and let live.
    Pop culture fandom has always sucked. Even letters columns back in the ‘80s were often insulting to creators. The problem of course is that the internet enables such vitriol at scale, empowering neckbeards everywhere to rage-post their incoherent declarations of HTML war.

Mighty Member

I know Heroes in Crisis is the spiritual successor to the stupidly stupid Identity Crisis, but the only retaliation needed is not paying for the book.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Pop culture fandom has always sucked. Even letters columns back in the ‘80s were often insulting to creators. The problem of course is that the internet enables such vitriol at scale, empowering neckbeards everywhere to rage-post their incoherent declarations of HTML war.
    Going back even further, George Bernard Shaw received numerous letters trying to rework the shipping of Pygmalion, a play from the 1910s, death threats included.

Its time to reboot back to the New 52. Rebirth is an abject failure. It has failed to provide stories as good as the New 52, though to be honest, that was never the point. Instead of promising great stories Rebirth only ever promised a return to the old continuity...which for certain characters (Wonder Woman) never really happened.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Retaliate is too strong of a term for this. DC did nothing offensive. Now had HiC made a grossly inaccurate statement or tone towards mental illness and results of trauma, then we're more able to respond.
    I agree retaliation might be too strong of a word here, however, I don't necessarily think DC was inoffensive at all. I think one could argue DC did do something offensive the very second they started marketing this series with "WHICH ONE OF THESE CHARACTERS WILL DIE?" in DC Nation.

Also, while there certainly is some clear good points in the book (Wally's inner monologue at the beginning of issue #8, for example) to me, I personally think a lot of King's messages got muddled due to the plot and can be viewed negatively based on what the readers are given.

Tbh I'm not even really sure how good of a job the series does depicting a mental health facility and its treatments, especially with Sanctuary's fate in the last issue.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Its time to reboot back to the New 52. Rebirth is an abject failure. It has failed to provide stories as good as the New 52, though to be honest, that was never the point. Instead of promising great stories Rebirth only ever promised a return to the old continuity...which for certain characters (Wonder Woman) never really happened.
    I have to disagree. Rebirth was a good direction, but that course ended and we're being steered by the New 52 helmsmen again. But this isn't a New 52 vs Rebirth thread.

No retaliation is needed. Simply inform DC that you don't care for their product by not buying what you don't enjoy. Their bottom line hurts them a lot more than the extra $3.99 you put in their pocket because you wanted to see how the trainwreck ended. Just stop buying.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by upupandagay View Post
    wow.. This this this.

"Retaliation" over this comic book is shameful. Regardless of how you feel about it, this is still one writer's personal story of their relationship to PTSD. Also, this writer has received death threats over their art, so even starting a forum to contemplate "retaliation" is so so harmful.

Either don't buy it (and check yourself on this one cuz I'm sure some of you are accessing this comic for free in the first place) or, if you feel "betrayed" by the writing: WRITE YOUR OWN COMIC.

and if you're still angry at the world: FIX IT. Send water to flint, vote for access to abortion, support grassroots political efforts. Walk in nature.
    At least I can understand anger over real-life events that affect our daily lives, but comics? That just doesn't make any sense to me in the slightest. Not that I haven't found things annoying at times, of course, but my blood pressure has never raised a point over a story.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I have to disagree. Rebirth was a good direction, but that course ended and we're being steered by the New 52 helmsmen again. But this isn't a New 52 vs Rebirth thread.
    I genuinely do not recall the even the most tempered anti-New 52 thread being this bad though. A lot of the posters here are saying they don't even buy DC Comics anymore!

It was better to have kept Wally lost than to revive him.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 05-31-2019 at 01:37 PM.

I genuinely do not recall the even the most tempered anti-New 52 thread being this bad though. A lot of the posters here are saying they don't even buy DC Comics anymore!

It was better to have kept Wally lost than to revive him.
    The New 52 made me not read DC for awhile. Same as now.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

The New 52 is the reason we're here.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

A lot of the posters here are saying they don't even buy DC Comics anymore!
    I don't buy DC Comics anymore, either.
    Mainly because I'm subscribing to DC Universe. (Does that count?)
    Secondly, because they haven't had a lot of anything that appealed to me in the last ten years.
    I will buy a first issue every now and then to support a book I think is worth it. And if the later issues went on sale, I'd pick them up (providing the series hadn't already been cancelled by then).

But I can understand why some aren't buying.
    What are they supposed to be buying?
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 05-31-2019 at 02:42 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lee stone View Post
    i think the internet is shrinking people's prefrontal cortex.
    /thread.......
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    The New 52 is the reason we're here.
    I'm pretty sure the problems with Wally are the result of Barry coming back though.