Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Sales are a tricky indication of acceptance, specially in this particular case.

Those reviewers are just clueless, though.
    Note that the Comichron numbers are copies ordered rather than copies sold to end customers. It is more likely that the retailers will be hit economically by Heroes in Crisis than that DC will, at least in the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    Seriously. Every positive review of this book just amazes me.
    I generally like to read reviews and criticism, and I find the state of comic book reviewing to be very poor. Most are little more than plot synopsises together with some unreflective opinions. A lot of reviewers don't seem to be aware of, or have reflected on, their own personal tastes and biases. Worse, too few try to discuss the story based on what it wants to accomplish and how well it manages that.

There are of course good exceptions. Ray Goldfield over at Geekdad is one—he regularly tries to dig into the themes of each story.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Note that the Comichron numbers are copies ordered rather than copies sold to end customers. It is more likely that the retailers will be hit economically by Heroes in Crisis than that DC will, at least in the short term.
    Exactly.

And then it's an event, with a "hot" writer, and it features both Wally and Harley.

It may have great numbers and people hating it to the core.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    It's petty and immature, but I would just laugh my ass off if somebody at a convention that Didio is at would just ask him, point blank and in front of a crowd of people, "What's it going to take for somebody to finally fire your unqualified, talent-less ass?" Preferably in San Diego.
    Record it and put it out on either Twitch, YouTube and/or Daily motion and were talking gold here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Then you were not paying attention back then. New 52 caused far more derision than HiC. By volumes. Everyone had a stake in the New 52, for or against. Only a very, very small amount of fans relative to DC's audience even care about what HiC has established. Loud as we are, Wally fans are a super tiny amount of DC fans and I doubt any of the people who even empathize with us without being at all invested in Wally are going to care much in a few months.

There is literally nothing DC could do to Wally, period, that would cause as much ire as the New 52 did. It's just a matter of numbers.
    The people who were complaining about the New 52 though were, for the most part still buying DC Comics though.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    The people who were complaining about the New 52 though were, for the most part still buying DC Comics though.
    You will find this the same

If a current comic is already in the dollar bin, you know you wrote some trash.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    If a current comic is already in the dollar bin, you know you wrote some trash.
    Not necessarily.

Sometimes, stores over-order (or are shipped way more than they ordered), and they have to do something with those extra copies if they can't be sent back.

Astonishing Member

DC didn't learn the lessons from Convergence/DCYou since the people responsible for that disaster are back in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    DC didn't learn the lessons from Convergence/DCYou since the people responsible for that disaster are back in charge.
    Hey, I honestly liked more of what we got with Convergence and DCYou than what DC is throwing at us these days!

Incredible Member

Nah man DCYou was ****. Convergence was a huge, convoluted mess. I, for some inexplicable reason, bought a lot of he trades but these were not exactly high quality stories. At least right now we’re getting Red Hood, DDC, and to a lesser extent Detective, Superman, and Action.

A long article (and can either be called a heart-felt piece or a rant) about Heroes in Crisis: Last Friday I Tried To Kill Myself: My Rant On Why Heroes In Crisis Is Destructive Garbage And Why Stories Like This Need To Stop Being Made

This, this was a bad story. This was a harmful story. And people deserve better. We don’t deserve to keep living in an age where stories like this, that can make us feel like we’re nothing, keep happening. We deserve stories that show us our lives are not defined by our trauma, we are NOT jokes, we are strong, and we deserve to live. That is not what “Heroes in Crisis” was and you will never convince me otherwise.

I had problems long before this story came out. I do not blame it for things that happened to me before. I do not blame it for my assault and abuse. I blame it for making me feel more like I don’t deserve to live and that what I’ve gone through doesn’t matter. I blame it for making me feel like my hard work and attempts to make my life better are meaningless.
    Lots of thoughts on the handling of not only Wally West and Poison Ivy, but on Roy Harper as well.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

You "retaliate" by buying the things that give you what you want and by not buying the things that don't. It's that simple. Want Wally West back? Buy books with him in them. That's really all you can do. Find his Flash run in trades. Buy a bunch of the old TT books. Didio may be turning the DCU into his own personal fan fiction but even he has bosses he has to answer to. That's how we got the New 52 in the first place. Like I said earlier: Imagine if the highest selling DC trade of the year was some old TT book from the eighties? What kind of message would that send? How much does AT&T care about their new comic book acquisition? "Do you guys really know what they're doing down there and who is in charge?" would be a good question to ask them. We aren't completely powerless here. We are the ones who keep the lights on over there. That may mean not buying a DC book for a while.
    Assassinate Putin!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

A long article (and can either be called a heart-felt piece or a rant) about Heroes in Crisis:
    I mean this in all seriousness: anybody who feels their life is diminished over a comic book needs to seek professional help. Now I understand passion for our hobby, but when someone writes the words "I want to kill myself" (regardless how serious those words were - and they appear to be serious) over a work of fiction, that person has crossed the line of mental health. I write this because some things I read on the Internet really scare me.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I mean this in all seriousness: anybody who feels their life is diminished over a comic book needs to seek professional help. Now I understand passion for our hobby, but when someone writes the words "I want to kill myself" (regardless how serious those words were - and they appear to be serious) over a work of fiction, that person has crossed the line of mental health. I write this because some things I read on the Internet really scare me.
    They stated in the article that they didn’t want to kill themselves over the comic. It was a culmination of other factors in their life. Still, it was a very dramatic article that I think was reaching in a lot of places. HiC was a terrible story for all the reasons they stated but it was written in a way that just made them seem incredibly unstable and in need of perhaps more sessions with the therapist the referenced throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The person has professional help, and as noted in the second paragraph, it was written at the behest of their therapist.

Did the writer threaten anyone? Did the writer try to scare anyone? I read it much more as a cry to understand why and how poor stories can be damaging, especially if the stories deal with fraught topics like drugs, mental health, or trauma, as well as a personal attempt to explain why Heroes in Crisis caused the personal reaction that it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    They stated in the article that they didn’t want to kill themselves over the comic. It was a culmination of other factors in their life. Still, it was a very dramatic article that I think was reaching in a lot of places. HiC was a terrible story for all the reasons they stated but it was written in a way that just made them seem incredibly unstable and in need of perhaps more sessions with the therapist the referenced throughout.
    Again, I think the reason the article was written was at least partly therapeutic. But I wouldn't call it reaching, especially not used as a blanket phrase to wave it aside.