Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    Nah man DCYou was shit.
    That's one opinion.
    As I said, there was some good stuff (to my eyes) that came out of it.

Convergence was a huge, convoluted mess. I, for some inexplicable reason, bought a lot of he trades but these were not exactly high quality stories.
    I didn't buy the main Convergence title, I just bought the two-issue runs that seemed like they might appeal to me. Some of those I enjoyed, and others I was less-than-thrilled with, but they offered some interesting takes on things I had enjoyed back in the preFlashpoint days.

At least right now we’re getting Red Hood, DDC, and to a lesser extent Detective, Superman, and Action.
    None of which I buy at present, though I might try the Detective Comics issues with The Spectre. (Still not decided on that.)

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    A long article (and can either be called a heart-felt piece or a rant) about Heroes in Crisis: Last Friday I Tried To Kill Myself: My Rant On Why Heroes In Crisis Is Destructive Garbage And Why Stories Like This Need To Stop Being Made

Lots of thoughts on the handling of not only Wally West and Poison Ivy, but on Roy Harper as well.
    Thanks for sharing. It was not easy to read but it helped to understand a lot of problems.

Incredible Member

The person has professional help, and as noted in the second paragraph, it was written at the behest of their therapist.

Did the writer threaten anyone? Did the writer try to scare anyone? I read it much more as a cry to understand why and how poor stories can be damaging, especially if the stories deal with fraught topics like drugs, mental health, or trauma, as well as a personal attempt to explain why Heroes in Crisis caused the personal reaction that it did.

Again, I think the reason the article was written was at least partly therapeutic. But I wouldn't call it reaching, especially not used as a blanket phrase to wave it aside.
    I feel like calling HiC racist and homophobic is reaching. It’s a bad story but it wasn’t either of those things.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Ah, here we go, HEAT.

It always comes back to HEAT.

Fucking great.
    Although it had a few members who crossed a line and were promptly disowned, HEAT grew into a highly respected organization. The group did considerable good during the time that it operated, and ultimately, achieved its objective. As a whole, it became a model of how a good fan movement can and should operate.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

The person has professional help, and as noted in the second paragraph, it was written at the behest of their therapist.

Did the writer threaten anyone? Did the writer try to scare anyone? I read it much more as a cry to understand why and how poor stories can be damaging, especially if the stories deal with fraught topics like drugs, mental health, or trauma, as well as a personal attempt to explain why Heroes in Crisis caused the personal reaction that it did.
    The vast majority of us can read or watch something without any ill effects, though, because we don't suffer from mental problems. It's like when adults used to say when I was a teen Ozzy Osbourne's Suicide Solution was pushing kids to follow suit - the few who did were having problems long before they ever heard the song.

As for threatening anyone, I'm not worried about that here, only that the writer might hurt himself in the future.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Fantastic Member

Sorry' but can't believe this thread with its title is still going. Last time I'll be visiting and looking at. Want it to just fade. Can we just move on already. Yes 'HiC' was simply appalling with a sloppy script and character assassination of a beloved hero that just left a bad taste in the mouth. Best thing to do' guys? Is to simply forget, don't purchase trade (foregone conclusion) and go look at 'good deeds' thread. Come on' pals. Ditch the negativity, let's talk about stuff we love' more fun. Let it go. Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Franny6422 View Post
    . . . Ditch the negativity, let's talk about stuff we love' more fun. Let it go. Bye.
    = insert the music video clip from Frozen =

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The vast majority of us can read or watch something without any ill effects, though, because we don't suffer from mental problems. It's like when adults used to say when I was a teen Ozzy Osbourne's Suicide Solution was pushing kids to follow suit - the few who did were having problems long before they ever heard the song.

As for threatening anyone, I'm not worried about that here, only that the writer might hurt himself in the future.
    I think you are coming real close to blaming the messenger here, or at least saying that the messenger's strong reaction is a reason to not take it seriously.

Yes, a poor presentation of mental health treatment where it is shown as doing more harm than good is unlikely to cause you or me any harm. But many of them creates the cultural impression that mental health treatment is useless, and especially so if mental health issues already are stigmatised in society.

In another thread it was mentioned that Tom King had said in an interview that he purposefully set aside doing any research on mental health treatment since it didn't fit into the narrative. If true, that's willfully reckless behaviour both from him and from the people at DC who had editorial or marketing input.

And even if you leave said reader's personal reaction to the comic aside, they still provided long, detailed, and cogent breakdowns on the problems with how Wally, Roy, and Ivy were handled in Heroes in Crisis.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    That's one opinion.
    As I said, there was some good stuff (to my eyes) that came out of it.

I didn't buy the main Convergence title, I just bought the two-issue runs that seemed like they might appeal to me. Some of those I enjoyed, and others I was less-than-thrilled with, but they offered some interesting takes on things I had enjoyed back in the preFlashpoint days.

None of which I buy at present, though I might try the Detective Comics issues with The Spectre. (Still not decided on that.)
    The tie-ins of Convergence were the best stuff DC was putting out at the time.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Incredible Member

That’s not saying a lot.

Astonishing Member

Convergence absolutely screwed retailers. As a consequence DCYou was a bust. So in other words a badly managed filler event somehow managed to do lasting damage to DC's sales that were out of proportion to its actual importance.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 06-04-2019 at 06:13 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I think you are coming real close to blaming the messenger here, or at least saying that the messenger's strong reaction is a reason to not take it seriously.
    There's no blame involved if it's out of the control of a person (like any illness).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?