Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    BANNED

the market is reflecting DC's decisions of the past few years, that's why they sell like half of what Marvel does, why their trade sales have completely fallen apart over the past few years, why they stopped collecting a lot of comics, why they have cancelled a lot of their line and why half those imprints/projects promised will never lead to anything (Riddley's DC History thing, Milestone, etc..)

they need to clean house and remove 95% (or more) of their "creative talent" because it clearly isn't working out for them at all, besides selling Batman books and event comics, which can't sustain a company forever (plus the dire lack of diversity among DC's staff is frankly embarrassing)

Fantastic Member

Positivity' folks, let's stop complaining. I get it' honestly. Didn't care for the storyline myself, but we don't need to keep on about it. DC will learn the hard way' sales. They already are. If Didio wants to create a tone similar to the New52, again' sales will reflect any dissatisfaction and maybe another u-turn. In the meantime, let's all 're-read Waid's and Johns run on 'The Flash.' That's Wally! Just ignore 'HiC' if you don't care for it. Like I said 'sales.' Hope they don't print too many of the pending trade LOL

Fantastic Member

Mind you, there's some light 'Dog Days of Summer.' What a lovely fun read. Balance is what is needed. This cleanses the pallet. Want an ongoing with 'Batcow' Go girl! Mooooo

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Franny6422 View Post
    Mind you, there's some light 'Dog Days of Summer.' What a lovely fun read. Balance is what is needed. This cleanses the pallet. Want an ongoing with 'Batcow' Go girl! Mooooo
    The Croc story was really good.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I think that at least one of those guys is not only pretty aware, but laughing his ass off while twirling his moustache, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    If you want to view Didio as a villain, he certainly seems more than willing to play that role for the fans. He seems to take delight in playing the heel like he's in the WWE. That said, I think when you strip away all the theater, he's just a guy trying to do what he thinks is the best thing for the DCU, no matter how ill-advised some of those ideas may be, or how incompetently he does about implementing them at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Franny6422 View Post
    There's plenty of light, fun, optimistic stuff being produced by DC at the moment, but that stuff gets ignored in favor of complaining about the latest outrage.

All of Bendis's Wonder Comics line has been great, bright n' shiny superhero stuff. Johns's Shazam has been equally fun and hopeful. Morrison's The Green Lantern is straight-up pure sci-fi superheroics with not an ounce of angst or trauma. If you don't like the dark turn the DCU is taking, there's stuff that isn't that. Read that, talk about that, champion that stuff, sing its praises from the hilltops. There are alternatives to being negative all the time.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by comeatmebro View Post
    the market is reflecting DC's decisions of the past few years, that's why they sell like half of what Marvel does, why their trade sales have completely fallen apart over the past few years, why they stopped collecting a lot of comics, why they have cancelled a lot of their line and why half those imprints/projects promised will never lead to anything (Riddley's DC History thing, Milestone, etc..)

they need to clean house and remove 95% (or more) of their "creative talent" because it clearly isn't working out for them at all, besides selling Batman books and event comics, which can't sustain a company forever (plus the dire lack of diversity among DC's staff is frankly embarrassing)
    Some of those book have been REPRINTED to DEATH already.
    If we are talking Batman-too much of his stuff gets reprints.

Take Jim Lee's first arc on Batman-its CHEAPER for me to get the back issues or the previous released versions. Heck I know stores that still have in MINT that trade.
    Meanwhile you got price gauging with anything with Static. $60 for the New 52 series. Yes it was offline but still.

Also the talent can only do so much. It's not their fault Dc only cares about Batman.

18 out of 37 DC titles on Amazon's top super hero trades are Batman. Shazam, Doom Patrol & Swamp Thing just got on there.

45 are Marvel. Hulk, GOTG, Jane Foster, Thor, Peter Parker, Deadpool, Black Panther, Carol Danvers & Ms Marvel have been there FOREVER. Only Peter, Deadpool & Panther have more than one. Miles just missed it because of the guys below-X-Men.
    Here is what is SCARY-X-Men are just NOW getting back popular.

Even more scary for DC-look at Teen sale for those novels.

8 of the top 100 are DC-BATMAN, SUPERMAN, AQUAMAN & Barry ARE NOT THERE. Raven is there and her book is NOT out yet.
    34 are Marvel. Miles Morales, Spider Gwen & Moon Girl are there more than once. Bruce Banner, Cho Hulk, GOTG, Thanos, Squirrel Girl, Avengers & X-men (they are getting popular again).
    My Hero Academia has 26. One Punch has 23.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    There's plenty of light, fun, optimistic stuff being produced by DC at the moment, but that stuff gets ignored in favor of complaining about the latest outrage.

All of Bendis's Wonder Comics line has been great, bright n' shiny superhero stuff.
    Sorry, but I don't like Bendis and the way he "writes".

Johns's Shazam has been equally fun and hopeful.
    Didn't like what I read of Johns' "Shazam!" back during the New52.

Morrison's The Green Lantern is straight-up pure sci-fi superheroics with not an ounce of angst or trauma.
    Morrison is hit-or-miss with me, and I grew tired of Hal/all things Green Lantern just before the New52.

If you don't like the dark turn the DCU is taking, there's stuff that isn't that. Read that, talk about that, champion that stuff, sing its praises from the hilltops. There are alternatives to being negative all the time.
    I generally liked Batgirl, but DC keeps changing writers on that and seems to be dragging it into a darker direction (at least to me).

I do read Scooby-Doo! Team-Up, but that's been cut back to bimonthly status, and I never know if/when they may just end that run, too.

You may see optimistic options, but unfortunately, DC isn't really working to appeal to a guy like me.
    (I guess I'm too old for them to bother with.)

Ultimate Member

All of Bendis's Wonder Comics line has been great, bright n' shiny superhero stuff. Johns's Shazam has been equally fun and hopeful. Morrison's The Green Lantern is straight-up pure sci-fi superheroics with not an ounce of angst or trauma. If you don't like the dark turn the DCU is taking, there's stuff that isn't that. Read that, talk about that, champion that stuff, sing its praises from the hilltops. There are alternatives to being negative all the time.
    And the PERSON in charge can SCREW that up.

Management choose to not take full advantage of opportunities given to them by outside media.

Fans are not the reason we didn't see Black Lightning's daughters in comics for now 10+ years.
    Fans are not the reason we did see Aqualad or Ms Martian in comics for 8+ years.
    Fans are not the reason the majority of the Young Justice kids were MIA in comics while Young Justice was on the air.
    Fans are not the reason comic Cyborg is a JOKE versus the tv versions.

And it's NOT my job to talk about Green Lantern. Especially when the OTHERS (especially John Stewart) have been TRASHED for Hal Jordan worship. My money is not welcomed at that franchise.
    Shazam? WHO CARES? Why should Titans or any other fanbase who has been CRAPPED on support the books where the folks in charge have no issue with them?

Supporting them is NOT going to FIX this mess. Yes books like them will suffer but that is a consequence. Marvel had to deal with it (for a different set of reasons). Things are getting FIXED over there now and books like Ewing's Hulk are getting their due now.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Morrison is hit-or-miss with me, and I grew tired of Hal/all things Green Lantern just before the New52.

I generally liked Batgirl, but DC keeps changing writers on that and seems to be dragging it into a darker direction (at least to me).

I do read Scooby-Doo! Team-Up, but that's been cut back to bimonthly status, and I never know if/when they may just end that run, too.

You may see optimistic options, but unfortunately, DC isn't really working to appeal to a guy like me.
    Jimmy Olsen looks to be a more upbeat limited series. The preview for the series was recently in the Superman: Leviathan Rises special, but given it's hefty price, I'd simply suggest giving the first issue a look and see if that may interest you.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I mostly buy out of continuity and pre-Crisis stuff these days. To "send a message" so to speak. The only in canon book I buy is Doomsday Clock and that's just to see how all the Superman stuff pans out. Ironically, the only comic book movie that interests me this year is Joker and that's because it has no connection to any other movie. I think this is really all we can do. Buy your favorite version of the character to send the message that you want more of this. Buy what tells you what you want to hear, ignore what doesn't. This is the only thing they will listen to. Money talks, so to speak. I find I enjoy the out of continuity stuff way more than anything else just because there is no obligations with it.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

If you want to view Didio as a villain, he certainly seems more than willing to play that role for the fans. He seems to take delight in playing the heel like he's in the WWE. That said, I think when you strip away all the theater, he's just a guy trying to do what he thinks is the best thing for the DCU, no matter how ill-advised some of those ideas may be, or how incompetently he does about implementing them at times.
    There has to be some level of pattern recognition here. You can't just "pretend" to be the villain when you're saying the villainous stuff and doing the villainous stuff. There's just no difference at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

The Wonder Comics line isn't written exclusively by Bendis, so if his writing isn't to your taste, which is fair enough, I would try Dial "H" for Hero and Wonder Twins, both of which are really fun. And you should certainly keep reading Scooby-Doo Team-Up if you are enjoying that.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    And the PERSON in charge can SCREW that up.

Management choose to not take full advantage of opportunities given to them by outside media.

Fans are not the reason we didn't see Black Lightning's daughters in comics for now 10+ years.
    Fans are not the reason we did see Aqualad or Ms Martian in comics for 8+ years.
    Fans are not the reason the majority of the Young Justice kids were MIA in comics while Young Justice was on the air.
    Fans are not the reason comic Cyborg is a JOKE versus the tv versions.

And it's NOT my job to talk about Green Lantern. Especially when the OTHERS (especially John Stewart) have been TRASHED for Hal Jordan worship. My money is not welcomed at that franchise.
    Shazam? WHO CARES? Why should Titans or any other fanbase who has been CRAPPED on support the books where the folks in charge have no issue with them?

Supporting them is NOT going to FIX this mess. Yes books like them will suffer but that is a consequence. Marvel had to deal with it (for a different set of reasons). Things are getting FIXED over there now and books like Ewing's Hulk are getting their due now.
    You can do whatever you want. Nobody is forcing you to buy anything DC is publishing. However, for anyone who wants to read new DC stuff that isn't dark or angsty, there are options for those people and it's unfortunate that they don't get as much attention as the comics that get people upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    There has to be some level of pattern recognition here. You can't just "pretend" to be the villain when you're saying the villainous stuff and doing the villainous stuff. There's just no difference at that point.
    Sure, if viewing him as only a villain bent on doing horrible things to characters you love is something that you think will make your life more satisfying, go ahead. Nobody can stop you.

The reality of the situation is he's just a man whose editorial methods and ideas you fundamentally disagree with. He's not killing anyone, or robbing you of anything that is your right. Wally West is a fictional character owned by a corporation. Didio has been given control of this corporate IP and he's mismanaged badly. That's not a crime. That's simply doing a bad job and the worst that should happen to him is that he should be replaced with someone who can do his job better.

Frankly, of Didio is a real villain in anyone's mind, then I think those people have lost perspective of what a true villainy is. The world is certainly giving us plenty of examples of them everyday. Perhaps focusing some of all this negative energy on them would be a more productive use of everyone's time.