Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bear vs Gorilla

If we include kodiak browns some adult males reach 1500 lbs. In my opinion the most powerful land predator on earth is the bear.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    If we include kodiak browns some adult males reach 1500 lbs. In my opinion the most powerful land predator on earth is the bear.
    Pretty sure it's a Deuce and a Quarter.

Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Pretty sure it's a Deuce and a Quarter.

Mmm.

Deuce and a Quarters on Kodiak Island? Slightly more common than Sasquatch sightings
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Mmm.

Deuce and a Quarters on Kodiak Island? Slightly more common than Sasquatch sightings
    Why you gotta hate on the Walmart greeter ? Sasquatch just trying to make end's meat after Alpha Flight fired him for indecent exposure.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Why you gotta hate on the Walmart greeter ? Sasquatch just trying to make end's meat after Alpha Flight fired him for indecent exposure.
    Lol...damn.
    ----------------------

So the thing about bears is, when they're 'bloodlusted', they are also filled with adrenaline enough to keep going well after their internal organs have been destroyed. Which is to say ...

I don't feel the Gorilla is going to fare very well.

Addendum: Like zombies, if you destroy the brain the bear will die, regardless ... but I do not see a Gorilla managing that before the bear chews its way through the Gorilla's chest ... like a reverse chestburster.
    As a corollary to this, ALL primates in general deal very badly with pain and shock. I.e. as a rule, they aren't able to "power through" fatal wounds as other animals would.

So while the bear might get a powerup from adrenaline, wounds and scratches on the gorilla would actually hinder its performance, maybe even send it into shock where it would instinctively crawl into a ball to protect is vital organs. Its just bad biology.

BANNED

I wonder what Zangeif has got that the gorilla hasn't.

at a certain point size and strength can just overwhelm fighting technique and skill, add to this that a Gorilla and apes in general simply don't have the fine motor control a human has to fully utilize fighting technique and that a large Grizzly or Polar bear is going to be well over 1000 lbs heavier than a large Gorilla and it's still a stomp

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

OP sez black bear.

I still feel the bear takes it. Primate bodies aren't the same as ours so the training isn't going to carry over much (and be less effective against a non-human opponent...unless your name is Zangief, you don't train to fight bears). The masses are similar. Bears have much better natural weaponry and thicker fur for what little protection that gives.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Black Bear size varies wildly by region and season but large males over 1000 lbs have been found in the wild, so it's not like they're small either, even normal large American Black Bears break 500 lbs.

2 Silverbacks vs 1 Bear might be more equal.