View Poll Results: What are your thoughts about TOM KING writing a NEW GODS film?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • POSITIVE! This will be a GOOD thing!

8 24.24%
  • NEGATIVE! This will be a BAD thing!

6 18.18%
  • DON"T KNOW YET! But am OPTIMISTIC!

13 39.39%
  • DON"T KNOW YET! But am PESSIMISTIC!

6 18.18%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm cool with it. Ava Duvernay track record with CgI is a bit spotty lol but that probaly has nothing to do with her. Wouldnt be surprised if what ever FX house worked on wrinkle in time had to do a rush job to make a deadline. Or maybe since it's a kid movie the CGI looked the way it did by design.

Anyway shes still a wonderful director and I'm excited to see what she does with Miracle and Barda. Hope she works on the script with him. She doesn't have to he the writer like Coogler,Gunn,Or Waititi. But the Russo's are involved in the scripts on a conceptual level. This is the broad story, and then let the writer take that and make it fully realized screen play. Hope she is involved that way too. I dont know why but I prefer when Directors are involved in the writing process.

He should be perfect for the job. I think it is typical that something like this gets announced and instead of being excited that a comic book writer will have a strong voice in the movie, some seem concerned about small things like their personal objections to Heroes in Crisis, the storm in a tea-cup of the moment.

Clearly King has a passion for this property, his strength in longer narratives, and his craftsmanship suggest he is probably a better choice than any other comic book writer I can think of.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 06-01-2019 at 12:30 AM.

Just finished When they see us. Cant wait to see WHAT ava Duvernay brings to New Gode. That mini series was great. Moved and upset me incredibly. So let a comic writer and her team up and hopefuly knock it out the park

I have not read a single thing by Tom King, but any time a comic book creator gets a shot at anything within mainstream TV or movies, I think is wonderful.

Good luck to the man.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    It's been long rumored the film will focus on Mister Miracle and Big Barda with Granny Goodness and the Furies as the villains.
    I'd heard this too, although I couldn't remember where exactly.

There's a school of thought that suggests that DC/WB removed Darkseid form their Justice League plans to stop any comparisons with Thanos. While comic fans know the difference between the two, it's thought that the general movie audience would see him as a Thanos rip-off just because Thanos was adapted first. If this is the case, I wonder how big a role Darkseid would have in a New Gods film, if any. Perhaps he'll just get a name drop like he did in JL, and they'll keep him as a malevolent behind the scenes force.
    Currently Reading
    Immortal Hulk | Avengers | Thanos | Cosmic Ghost Rider | Darth Vader: Dark Visions | Guardians of the Galaxy | Fantastic Four
    Justice League | DCeased | The Batman Who Laughs | Green Lantern | Heroes in Crisis | Doomsday Clock | Last Knight on Earth
    Aliens: Rescue | Invisible Kingdom

Astonishing Member

I have no faith in this mans work. Even his Mister Miracle run is very miserable. The man shouldn't have written the God of Freedom as a barely functioning guy who basically says real life is so much a horror that he can't tell if he's trapped in a dimension of torture or not.

That just shows me a fundamental misunderstanding of both heroes and specifically Mister Miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    I have no faith in this mans work. Even his Mister Miracle run is very miserable. The man shouldn't have written the God of Freedom as a barely functioning guy who basically says real life is so much a horror that he can't tell if he's trapped in a dimension of torture or not.

That just shows me a fundamental misunderstanding of both heroes and specifically Mister Miracle.
    That's an interesting point. If people are upset at Zack Snyder's dark vision of superheroes, how is Tom King going to be any better?

If Heroes in Crisis and his Mr. Miracle comics were big budget superhero movies, would you like them?

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    That's an interesting point. If people are upset at Zack Snyder's dark vision of superheroes, how is Tom King going to be any better?

If Heroes in Crisis and his Mr. Miracle comics were big budget superhero movies, would you like them?
    Odds are you will get a bit more freedom in how you handle the New Gods as opposed to Superman or the Justice League though.

Fair or not, I think with a Superman and Justice League, there is a sort of built in expectation as far as the tone of the movie. New Gods are more of a blank slate. To a degree you've got more freedom to do whatever you want.

BANNED

Is there any indication Tom King can even write a screenplay? Cause being able to write comic books isn't the same thing. Looking at his IMDB page, his writing credits...leave something to be desired. Not that for sure he can't do it, but I think I'd rather him cut his teeth on something else a little more substantial before tackling a script with this much gravity.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1401136/

Darseid will have an oedipal complex and Granny Goodness will be seeing a therapist.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Is there any indication Tom King can even write a screenplay? Cause being able to write comic books isn't the same thing. Looking at his IMDB page, his writing credits...leave something to be desired. Not that for sure he can't do it, but I think I'd rather him cut his teeth on something else a little more substantial before tackling a script with this much gravity.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1401136/
    Does it say if hes writing the screen play alone? Maybe hes just writing an original story and someone else will make it into a functioning screen play or assist him in that department. Ava Duvrenay was listed a one the writers on when they see us and that was amazing. Maybe shes gonna help him.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

if you would have told me this a year ago I would have been excited. After this last year though not so much.