Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

The one flaw Jon has is he doesn’t have enough of his mother in him. I see little to no Lois in Jon, he’s a carbon copy of his father. I would like him to have a little of Lois’ snark, and maybe when he (naturally) grows up to have her cynical exterior while still keeping his father’s optimism at his core.

Didn’t Jurgens set out to make Jon more like Lois initially? I feel like that has kind of gotten lost.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The one flaw Jon has is he doesn’t have enough of his mother in him. I see little to no Lois in Jon, he’s a carbon copy of his father. I would like him to have a little of Lois’ snark, and maybe when he (naturally) grows up to have her cynical exterior while still keeping his father’s optimism at his core.

Didn’t Jurgens set out to make Jon more like Lois initially? I feel like that has kind of gotten lost.
    I agree. He should have his mom's eyes as well to better differentiate him from his dad.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Well, he is mischievous. And unlike clark who obeyed the kents(mostly) , jon likes breaking rules.Even though he likes to have the image and reputation of a good kid with his parents and peers. Jon does sneak into trouble when his parents have told him not to.
    And as for looks, lois's own look is in flux. Sometimes she has black hair and sometimes she has brown.her eyes keep changing colours. So you can't really give jon anything.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Well, he is mischievous. And unlike clark who obeyed the kents(mostly) , jon likes breaking rules.Even though he likes to have the image and reputation of a good kid with his parents and peers. Jon does sneak into trouble when his parents have told him not to.
    And as for looks, lois's own look is in flux. Sometimes she has black hair and sometimes she has brown.her eyes keep changing colours. So you can't really give jon anything.
    She’s had purple eyes pretty consistently, since the New 52 at least, so I wouldn’t have minded Jon inheriting that trait. You’re right about him being a bit of a rule breaker, but Clark was also a bit of a rule breaker himself. He argued with Ma and Pa about stuff growing up, I specifically remember one issue I read where Pa and Clark argue about whether Clark can fight back against bullies with Pa telling him no and Clark asserting that he will regardless of what Pa tells him. And he did go off on adventures with the LoSH as a kid, I doubt the Kents would’ve approved of that anymore than Lois approved of Jon sneaking out with Damian lol.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I agree. I think he has more of his mother's fire and persistence. Though Bendis has shown...none of that.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

She’s had purple eyes pretty consistently, since the New 52 at least, so I wouldn’t have minded Jon inheriting that trait. You’re right about him being a bit of a rule breaker, but Clark was also a bit of a rule breaker himself. He argued with Ma and Pa about stuff growing up, I specifically remember one issue I read where Pa and Clark argue about whether Clark can fight back against bullies with Pa telling him no and Clark asserting that he will regardless of what Pa tells him. And he did go off on adventures with the LoSH as a kid, I doubt the Kents would’ve approved of that anymore than Lois approved of Jon sneaking out with Damian lol.
    I feel like while both Clark and Lois advise Jon not to sneak out and raise some hell saving the day, they really don't try hard and are secretly proud that he's going to help people in his own way and does so without crossing any lines they raised him to respect. Both of them have never been the type to blindly do-as-told and it always feels good to see your successors inherit the traits in yourself you value.

I also completely see Lois smirking when reviewing his homework or notes and seeing a word misspelled, something even she struggles to master despite being the world's most celebrated journalist.

They've done a great job establishing Jon as Clark's son, but yeah, they really need to infuse a bit of his mom into his character.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Personally i feel like Kon is redundant but I'm hopeful and confident Bendis will fix that. What went wrong with Kon in the past is the lack of mentorship from Superman. This really hurt Kon as a character and was a huge slight against Superman. Bendis is doing a much better job showing Superman's influence on other heroes though.

In Jon we have the son of Lois and Clark and in the New 52 he became a villain and the new 52 superboy was based off of him.

Jon i think is really interesting because his whole existence is an anomaly. The alternate New 52 timeline version, the Convergence version where our Jon actually vines from, and the rebirth/reborn shenanigans. Jon's while existence in and of itself is wrapped up in cosmic mystery and I'd love to see something done with this. He's like a hypertime being from my point of view.

Kon and Jon have a linked destiny as far as I'm concerned.

For me though, Superboy will ALWAYS be young Superman. Both Jon and Kon are living up to that legacy.

Mighty Member

I like Jon a lot. Since Jimmy kind of fell out of use until recently, Jon was great as the wide-eyed idealist tag along to Clark’s seasoned heroes adventures. Don’t like Teen Jon and I don’t expect it to stick around.

Love Kon but I prefer the pre-Johns 90s punk attitude. I like Kon to be the Superfamily memeber who is all about enjoying the celebrity of being a hero, and has no desire to follow Clark’s path with a “day to day” job and what not. For that reason while I enjoyed the Young Justice cartoon I was never really a fan of Conner going to Smallville High School. I dislike when DC makes Kara and Kon into direct copies of Clark down to being journalists and wearing glasses to disguise themselves. They can have secret identities but they should use them differently, and I can’t see either of them taking day jobs (maybe Kara would).
    This are all things which I really HATED on YJ Conner...

It was just ridiculous that he runs around in school in same outfit like as Superboy and uses the name Conner Kent...It brings danger to Clark,Lois,his friends etc. etc., good at that time he ddnt know that Superman was Clark Kent, but it still one of the most weirds ideas...
    It was also one most strange ideas in Johns TT that he went with Cassie on a date in which he has worn his Superboy Shirt..

I personally always liked a mix, because Conner especially early had big problems to be recognized by Superman,Batman,Wonder Woman etc. as equal and that began to change during Johns Era as he was displayed as he became more mature..
    This is a big problem, as he is the logical one who follows Clark in the role as Superman when he dies and should therefore have the respect of the JL and other heroes.

And having a normal Job is just logical, you need money to pay, to later get your pension etc.

I have always seen Conner as the NIGHTWING of the Superman Family, so becoming a Superhero on his own, becoming as respected as his mentor is and be able to replace him,but with his own style..

Jonathan - Got nothing against him as a character, but everything against him as the son of Superman. If he had been introduced any other way and wasn't the child of Clark and Lois I'd be okay with him. Sadly he is so I'm not.

Conner's awesome.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Jonathan - Got nothing against him as a character, but everything against him as the son of Superman. If he had been introduced any other way and wasn't the child of Clark and Lois I'd be okay with him. Sadly he is so I'm not.

Conner's awesome.
    I wouldnt completely agree on this....

Jonathan was cool as KID, but the Teenager Version is kind of useless, since Conner is also back and has more personality than the teenage Jonathan...

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    I wouldnt completely agree on this...
    That's okay, you don't have to agree that Conner's awesome.

Mighty Member

That's okay, you don't have to agree that Conner's awesome.
    I agree that Conner is awesome, I didnt agree on Jonathan....

I personally hope that they keep his Rebirth Personality and dont let him fall back in his extreme childish YJ Days where he was sometimes over the top childish...

I hope that they give him a town of his own, make some Villains for him (Villains who are also able to fight Superman and not Sidearm or so)...
    Follow the Spider-Man, Nightwing Way....

Kon93

Here is your compromise between the 90s SB and the Geoff version

It's geoffs t-shirt and Jeans and black inside the S, but has the same look as his 90s supersuit had but with using clothes not spandex.

BUT any look of SBs has to have this

BANNED

Conner's awesome.
    “And wasn’t the child of Clark and Lois...”. LOL

Yeah, I can’t believe that DC Comics gave Superman a child with the woman he’s been clear he’s in love with and committed to marry/married to, save the blip of the new 52, for almost 30 years now. I can’t believe they gave him a kid with the woman he’s been romantically tied to and openly expressing his love to for literally 80 years—-always returning to her and coming back to her even in times when they temporarily are pulled other directions —-especially when their deep desire to have children together has been a low key but ever simmering plot point including being an undercurrent in mainstream comics, All Star Superman and several of the most famous and popular media properties including both Lois and Clark and Smallville. What were they THINKING? LOL
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 06-03-2019 at 02:48 AM.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

I love love love young Jon Kent. He was a breathe of fresh air in a stale universe.

Teen Jon is not the worst but now he's lost that innocence and childishness which made special and made his banter with Damian so enjoyable. The Supersons were a rare treat unlike any other title out there.

Conner I can only take seriously the version from the YJ cartoon. don't quite get the fingerless glove, garter belt wearing version from the comics.

Chris trumps them both.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 06-03-2019 at 04:15 AM.