Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Whats your opinion of Jonathan Samuel Kent and Conner Kent in general?

Hello,

would like to ask what your opinion is on the 2 Superboys.

I start with Jonathan:
    I liked Jonathan as Kid, but I absolutely dont like the idea that he grew up so fast.
    As kid he had something unique, but now he seems to be only Superman Junior, while as kid he was funny together with Damian.
    But now the Look with Cape etc. reminds STRONGLY at his dad...

Conner:
    I was always a big fan of Conner, he had many great interpretations like Super Seven, the early Conner etc. etc.
    also as Adult in Sins of youth,titans of tomorrow,black zero...I liked him....

I like that he is now back. What I dont like is that he is in Wonder Comics which are more for younger people, but considering Wally,Roy,Nightwing ec. it could be the best for him.
    I liked the Titans Run with him and I hoped that it would be still in Continuity, so he could outgrow the SuperBOY name and give it to Jonathan.

I have to say that I like his actual look, but he is sometimes to skinny. This was something what I didnt like also Pre-Flashpoint, sometimes he was 220 pounds, sometimes 160 pounds etc.

I hope hat they keep the actual design, because it really distinguish him from Jonathan and Clark and I like the punkish Leather Jacket and his outfit and hairs...and also let him use TTK..

My biggest fear is that they display him like in the Young Justice TV Series, where he became a punching bag...

Well, over the past 26 years, Superboy has become my second favorite DC character behind Clark. I think they should age Jon down to his old ten year old self and let him keep the Superboy name and give 18 year old Kon a new name. Love them both.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Frankenstein View Post
    Well, over the past 26 years, Superboy has become my second favorite DC character behind Clark. I think they should age Jon down to his old ten year old self and let him keep the Superboy name and give 18 year old Kon a new name. Love them both.
    18 is to young for Conner, I like more the idea of him being 22 or so...
    Becoming the Nightwing of the Superman Family..

I was lukewarm on Conner when he first arrived. I mean, I was new to comics as a whole but when I started Reign he wasn't exactly my favorite of the four new Supermen. But he ended up having one of the best character arcs and by the end of the saga I was a fan and was a fan ever since. Though I hated the changes Johns made to him during his TT era.

I've never liked Jon. 10 yo or 17 yo. At this point in the game its pretty safe for me to say I never will. I just don't like his presence in the mythos. The reasons are well documented to say the least and I won't go into the whole spiel again for the benefit of everyone.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-31-2019 at 10:17 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Jon I like. Not being stupidly aged up, but as a kid.

Conner is good too. Not sold on the 90s look (now or then), but I do like him.

And something I had looked forward to until the age up, and other things, was Jon meeting Conner. Now, outside of Justice League and whatever is left of Super Sons, I feel nothing for the Super line of books.

I also like Jon. I just wish he is Damian's age. Him being 17 all of a sudden is dumb to me.

Conner should be around the same age as Tim and Cassie. The 90's look should should stay in the 90's. His look should have been updated. I would like to see Conner as a mentor to young Jon.
    Last edited by MeGrimlock420; 05-31-2019 at 01:09 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I loved Jon as a child, he was a lot of fun and I was hoping to see him develop some of his mom and dad's traits (give him Lois's purple eyes to differentiate him from his dad , too!). I thought he was a good addition to the cast, though maybe we should focus less on him in Superman proper and tell those stories in a Superman Family title.

I'm not yet sold on teen Jon.

Kon-El... I like him when he's more himself and less with the Johns angsty teen take. You're the freaking Metropolis kid. Have some fun. I'm not against him having some angst, I mean Power Girl is a favorite of mine and she's equal parts angst and sass these days, but he just became an angry, morose bore after he was revealed to be half Luthor. Ditto the Young Justice animated incarnation. Can't stay awake when he's on screen.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I like the punk rock Peter Pan that the character Kon-El started as, and I like the current return to it. Not a fan of the years in between, after John's TT. I want the rebel without a cause Kon.

Jon? I don't care for much at all, though Bendis has made him tolerable at the least.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I like the punk rock Peter Pan that the character Kon-El started as, and I like the current return to it. Not a fan of the years in between, after John's TT. I want the rebel without a cause Kon.

Jon? I don't care for much at all, though Bendis has made him tolerable at the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I was lukewarm on Conner when he first arrived. I mean, I was new to comics as a whole but when I started Reign he wasn't exactly my favorite of the four new Supermen. But he ended up having one of the best character arcs and by the end of the saga I was a fan and was a fan ever since. Though I hated the changes Johns made to him during his TT era.

I've never liked Jon. 10 yo or 17 yo. At this point in the game its pretty safe for me to say I never will. I just don't like his presence in the mythos. The reasons are well documented to say the least and I won't go into the whole spiel again for the benefit of everyone.
    I must say I liked the TT era, NOT the changes of his character, BUT giving him the full Kryptonian Powers and making him a worthy successor to the Super-Family who can also fight against the big guys..
    The character change wasnt so good, because of him being angsty and also him becoming slower...

Perfect Conner would be a mix between Superboy in Hawaii and TT Superboy...

A mix between them, so its funny, rebelious, but also well liked by the JL...like Nightwing..

Quote Originally Posted by MeGrimlock420 View Post
    I also like Jon. I just wish he is Damian's age. Him being 17 all of a sudden is dumb to me.

Conner should be around the same age as Tim and Cassie. The 90's look should should stay in the 90's. His look should have been updated. I would like to see Conner as a mentor to young Jon.
    I have to say that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Conners Look, the Jeans and Shirt was his worst costume, because it was to simplistic and took a BIG part of his personality away.
    I like it also because its a way in which I would dress myself also (I am a Heavy Metal Fan and I like Leather-Jackets)...

I also LOVED it because it gives a clear distinction to the goody two shoes Jon and Clark...

Did not like Connor at all until the Superboy series just before the New 52. That one made him more relatable.

As for Jon, he’s great. I love the idea of Superman being a dad, but as a father myself to a ten year old boy, I wish he did stay that way. I also enjoyed the banter between him and Damian.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I like Connor. Out of the entire supersquad, he’s probably my favorite but to be fair I’ve read more books that involve him than I have with Clark or Kara so that may change once I read more about them.

I enjoy Jon too, atleast the young one. Haven’t seen enough of the aged up version to decide how I feel yet.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm personally "meh" on both. Connor can be okay in small doses, I like him the best of the YJ generation (who I'm generally not fond of), but both could vanish from the franchise and I wouldn't bat an eye.

Jon can provide some cute scenes, but I hate the way he was added into the continuity and the age up doesn't bother me, but doesn't engage me either.

Mighty Member

I love Jon Kent and think he is one of the most exciting new DC characters in a long time. I hate what Bendis has done with him and feel frustrated with the current direction of his character. Hopefully, something will be done to fix it.

I love Connor too, especially what Johns and Lemire did with him shortly before Flashpoint.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

I like Jon a lot. Since Jimmy kind of fell out of use until recently, Jon was great as the wide-eyed idealist tag along to Clark’s seasoned heroes adventures. Don’t like Teen Jon and I don’t expect it to stick around.

Love Kon but I prefer the pre-Johns 90s punk attitude. I like Kon to be the Superfamily memeber who is all about enjoying the celebrity of being a hero, and has no desire to follow Clark’s path with a “day to day” job and what not. For that reason while I enjoyed the Young Justice cartoon I was never really a fan of Conner going to Smallville High School. I dislike when DC makes Kara and Kon into direct copies of Clark down to being journalists and wearing glasses to disguise themselves. They can have secret identities but they should use them differently, and I can’t see either of them taking day jobs (maybe Kara would).

I like both.

Jon is a bit bland and more of a support player than a solo lead right now. I'm not feeling the big age up yet. I like him and I'm ok with him being apart of the mythos. The rejected Superman Family animated series would have been fun.