Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yeah, Lex and Zod need to be put on the shelf for a while.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

For a villain who doesn’t really have any comic book storylines I’d call “great” it’s baffling how Zod is the second most used rogue while Brainiac has literally never shown up on the big screen. That’s not even touching on Metallo, Parasite, Mongul, or Manchester Black.

Lex I understand but I’m sick of seeing him, and he’s my favorite villain. I don’t want the next movie to even have him show up, but I just know directors can’t help themselves.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Speaking of the radio show , my understanding was the original origin was that while he arrived to Earth as an adult, he grew during the journey so I assumed he still had no recollection of Krypton anyway and didn't grow up there. Is that accurate? If so, while weird in its own right, it still stays true to the idea that Superman spent virtually no time on his home planet.
    It takes away from knowing Earth as he did growing up, and being Superman inmediately. Even Superboy is a different concept because he spent his toddler youth just growing up (also had a perfect memory of Krypton culture and limited experience before the career stretch of kryptonite exposure damaged his recall) and handling himself before stepping into the world of Superman.

Enough deviation or too much deviation is really just subjective and if the end result was good I feel like people wouldn't cate.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I disagree that the radio show refutes anything.

It just means the radio show was ALSO wrong. The comics are canon. Everything else is just an adaptation. One wrongheaded adaptation doesn't justify another.
    Wrongheaded is subjective to me if enough people enjoy it. I can't binge anything for longer than 3 hours unless it's a Superman comic, so I won't pretend I'll ever know the radio show. But as it stuck a thorn in the KKK, I don't know if I can argue against it being a worthwhile product.

Also, Millar's famous 2000 take on a Superman comics reboot (with Morrison and Waid) had a lot of wrong in it, too. The part about Lois being a used-up Mary Magdalene type really stands out to me even today.

I don't know what funky pitch he had. I also wouldn't care about how funky this pitch could sound had there been a finished product to judge. Whatever Millar may have said, you have to give credibility to his comics with his Superman history. Jumping in the thick of Triangle lore with Immonen, non canon all ages fun with Adventures, and a pretty cool and very popular Elsweorlds are all Superman qualifications. Some of his pastiches ares nice, too.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    For a villain who doesn’t really have any comic book storylines I’d call “great” it’s baffling how Zod is the second most used rogue while Brainiac has literally never shown up on the big screen. That’s not even touching on Metallo, Parasite, Mongul, or Manchester Black.

Lex I understand but I’m sick of seeing him, and he’s my favorite villain. I don’t want the next movie to even have him show up, but I just know directors can’t help themselves.
    It's kind of funny to me that we can have great Lex's and Brainiac's on TV (Supergirl and Krypton respectively) but have yet to see either done justice on-film.

I liked the idea as an Elseworlds but not as Man of Steel 2. I'm not sure about a reboot but I'd be ok with it if it's good as a product. There is always a Millarworld pastiche if they wanna recycle it.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-01-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's kind of funny to me that we can have great Lex's and Brainiac's on TV (Supergirl and Krypton respectively) but have yet to see either done justice on-film.
    It’s the film directors lack of knowledge about the characters. Burton famously never read a Batman comic before he made his movie, and I don’t think he ever did afterwards either. Snyder openly said he never really cared about superheroes until he read Watchman. Eisenberg refuses to read any Lex comics for the role. Of all the people involved only Cavill has read and appreciated the source material which is just so messed up. Terrio
    rambled about sun gods and other crap but didn’t actually bother to read any Superman comics.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

They did a mini series something like this back in the 2010 with the Superman: Last Family of Krypton book. In it Jor El and Lara are able to escape to Earth with baby Kal and they have two more children once they get here. A very good mini series and it would make about as much sense as a movie as this pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    It takes away from knowing Earth as he did growing up, and being Superman inmediately. Even Superboy is a different concept because he spent his toddler youth just growing up (also had a perfect memory of Krypton culture and limited experience before the career stretch of kryptonite exposure damaged his recall) and handling himself before stepping into the world of Superman.

Enough deviation or too much deviation is really just subjective and if the end result was good I feel like people wouldn't cate.

Wrongheaded is subjective to me if enough people enjoy it. I can't binge anything for longer than 3 hours unless it's a Superman comic, so I won't pretend I'll ever know the radio show. But as it stuck a thorn in the KKK, I don't know if I can argue against it being a worthwhile product.

I don't know what funky pitch he had. I also wouldn't care about how funky this pitch could sound had there been a finished product to judge. Whatever Millar may have said, you have to give credibility to his comics with his Superman history. Jumping in the thick of Triangle lore with Immonen, non canon all ages fun with Adventures, and a pretty cool and very popular Elsweorlds are all Superman qualifications. Some of his pastiches ares nice, too.

I'm pretty familiar with the radio show, and I love it -- as an ADAPTATION of Superman. It's very important and many things from it were eventually made canon in the comics. I don't remember the origin episodes, but if they said that Superman did not come to Earth as a child, then that part is wrongheaded.

Of course, it didn't seem to matter to the rest of the radio show's run, which is well worth listening to. But I still see no reason to redo the departure from the origin. It goes against what every single person on the planet knows about Superman's origin.

At this point i am so impatient for a Superman movie, i might just welcome such a thing. When will a Superman film come which i can enjoy and is well received by people. I think the last such film was in the 80s.

What i like about the comments was the 'boring' thing about a plain Superman movie. Optimistic and bright. Somebody make such a movie. Make it well. Adapt that Superman to fit in for today. And make an enjoyable movie.

This rethinking stuff might have worked, had they not squandered any meaningful development for a DCEU. Honestly, whats wrong with something old fashioned? Be committed to make a proper movie. It would stand or fall on its own merits.

As with any fan i would much prefer if they don't give him a Supergirl origin. But a 3-4 yr old. That's welcome. Superman brooding or remembering his planet and home is fine as long as its not overdone. An adult who comes from Krypton means Clark Kent is pointless and meaningless. I would not like that aspect. But a film is a film. If it manages to sell it i might buy it.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 06-02-2019 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Lmao. At that point I’d just make a Speeding Bullets adaption.

I mean if it got good reviews I’d go see it but I can’t understand why so many directors want to basically just do some insanely weird TWISSSSST with Supes regarding his origin and what not. Also I don’t want another movie starring Lex. Give me ANYONE else as the main bad guy.
    Every Batman film seems to either be insanely weird, have a weird twist, or both. But they go over well... I think his seven films still make him the most successful of hero franchises if not after Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I'm pretty familiar with the radio show, and I love it -- as an ADAPTATION of Superman. It's very important and many things from it were eventually made canon in the comics. I don't remember the origin episodes, but if they said that Superman did not come to Earth as a child, then that part is wrongheaded.

Of course, it didn't seem to matter to the rest of the radio show's run, which is well worth listening to. But I still see no reason to redo the departure from the origin. It goes against what every single person on the planet knows about Superman's origin.
    If something with a wrongheaded element turned out right then, I'd just be suggesting here that there is no reason it couldn't turn out right again. From every discussion I've seen along these lines what "every single person on the planet" knows is part of the problem as the typical components of these films bore people to tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    They did a mini series something like this back in the 2010 with the Superman: Last Family of Krypton book. In it Jor El and Lara are able to escape to Earth with baby Kal and they have two more children once they get here. A very good mini series and it would make about as much sense as a movie as this pitch.

Ug I hated that story cause they just went back to the well when it came to Superman himself instead of trying to forge something new. The Butterfly effect that that story set up had everyone changing BUT Superman. Plus the though that Jor-El and Lara's next kids being weaker in a Yellow sun environment is just preposterous. That like having Goten and Trunks being weaker after their parents had reached Super Sayan level which is not the case. This was only done to give the son an inferiority complex and the Daughter an out from following the family Legacy into something more "productive" like politics. The book was a whole lotta nothing, had a nice cult though.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I find it weird that Millar of all people would want to do this take on Superman. Radio show or not, having Superman grow up on Krypton really misses the point of the character - especially the original parallels to the story of Moses. Mark Millar has written some exceptional Superman stories so it's weird that he would go that way.

As for villains, I would also want Brainiac to be the film's main villain. No Zod at all, thank you very much. I would still have Luthor, though, because I do actually think he's an indispensable part of the Superman supporting cast. I wouldn't have him as a full-on villain for at least the next movie (probably more) but he should be the one guy in Metropolis who doesn't buy what Superman's selling and becomes increasingly antagonistic as time goes on.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Matthew Vaughn is one of my favorite directors and I think it would have been a good movie overall, but I'm glad he didn't get the job if this was the plan. The origin can be brushed over quickly, but should never be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    At this point i am so impatient for a Superman movie, i might just welcome such a thing. When will a Superman film come which i can enjoy and is well received by people. I think the last such film was in the 80s.

Actually, Man of Steel WAS well received by the people, if not the critics and comics fans. The general audience gave MOS a Rotten Tomatoes score of 75%. That's right in line with Aquaman's 76%. If you don't think the general public liked MOS, then we would also have to say they didn't like Aquaman, and we know that's not true.

It's just the media has given a false impression of how the movie was received because all they do is repeat their narrative and ignore everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I find it weird that Millar of all people would want to do this take on Superman. Radio show or not, having Superman grow up on Krypton really misses the point of the character - especially the original parallels to the story of Moses. Mark Millar has written some exceptional Superman stories so it's weird that he would go that way.

As for villains, I would also want Brainiac to be the film's main villain. No Zod at all, thank you very much. I would still have Luthor, though, because I do actually think he's an indispensable part of the Superman supporting cast. I wouldn't have him as a full-on villain for at least the next movie (probably more) but he should be the one guy in Metropolis who doesn't buy what Superman's selling and becomes increasingly antagonistic as time goes on.
    "Baby sent up a river" is conveniently compared to Moses, but if you try to take the parallel any further it doesn't work with the story of Moses to the story of Superman. And not that I have seen everything, but of what I have seen from scouring for interviews, it seems like it's everyone but Siegel who cites Moses. They say, " oh he was created by Jews, so this must be a Moses." I don't think he's to live on that parallel even if his origin details are unshakable.

I would like, if they wanted to use Lex, to see him as supporting cast and not a plot obligation. Zod, never ever again.