Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

This is why we can't get a decent Superman movie. Because nobody wants to just do a Superman movie. It's always their "take" on him. "I would change this and this and this..." How has that worked out so far? Superman Returns never got a sequel. Warners is still trying to recover from MOS with stuff like WW and Shazam!. Everything has to have a gimmick. Stop trying to "fix" what isn't broken!
    Assassinate Putin!

I agree, Superduperman. What is the most common thing Superman Returns and the Snyder DC movies have in common?

A very mopey Superman. A Superman that lacks confidence and optimism.

Superman Returns had little action. Man of Steel had lots more action and destruction, but both had a very sad Superman.

What we need is a movie with a more confident Superman, Clark being a good reporter doing investigative work and working with Lois. A film with a balance of drama and action and humor and heart. And of course a great antagonist we haven't seen before like Brainiac or someone visually great. Is that too much to ask??

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This is why we can't get a decent Superman movie. Because nobody wants to just do a Superman movie. It's always their "take" on him. "I would change this and this and this..." How has that worked out so far? Superman Returns never got a sequel. Warners is still trying to recover from MOS with stuff like WW and Shazam!. Everything has to have a gimmick. Stop trying to "fix" what isn't broken!
    And here it's just "give Superman Supergirl's origin."

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

I remember a few years ago Vaughn's idea for Supes was another Donner remake. This new approach is not a good look for Supes. It be right up Kara's alley, but Supes needs to leave his mark on Earth. Why can't TPTB just conjure up a competitive and engaging story? That preferably isn't a remake of a movie that's already been remade and or has Supes use something other than his fists to solve the problem.

Why can’t they just adapt a comic arc instead of every “auteur” giving us their “brilliant” reimagining of Superman that is nothing like him at all? I just want a simple Superman vs. Brainiac story. No Space Jesus bullcrap.
    Last edited by Vordan; 06-01-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Why can’t they just adapt a comic arc instead of every “auteur” giving is their “brilliant” reimagining of Superman that is nothing like him at all? I just want a simple Superman vs. Brainiac story. No Space Jesus bullcrap.
    It sounds like you want more Space Christ imagery with a healthy helping of subversion there acting as a stealth pilot for our sacred Batcow, plebian.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 06-01-2019 at 08:05 AM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I want a fun optimistic Superman movie that audiences of all ages can enjoy. Period.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Alright so let's not bash people for creative suggestions.

And again, the claim that it doesn't resemble Superman is refuted by the radio show. When it comes to having a comic authority here, keep in mind that Mark Millar has written a good variety of Superman.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post

And again, the claim that it doesn't resemble Superman is refuted by the radio show. When it comes to having a comic authority here, keep in mind that Mark Millar has written a good variety of Superman.
    but it doesn't resemble the iconic Superman we have now after so years and many stories in live action and in comics and animation. Their ideas for Superman sound like an elseworld not mainstream. Superman growing on Krypton sounds like Supergirl's story.

Here are more details on his pitch,

It’s brilliant— Kal could grow-up on Krypton, until about the age of 10, when his parents take him to see the movie “The Mark of Nightwing”. Sadly, after the movie, his parents are murdered by Zod-Chill. Young Kal swears that he will dedicate his life fighting evil, and hops in a rocket so he can fly away and get some sweet yellow-sun powers. Oh, and I guess Krypton explodes at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I want a fun optimistic Superman movie that audiences of all ages can enjoy. Period.
    I think a majority probably wishes for that...not that WB seems interested in doing it at all.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    but it doesn't resemble the iconic Superman we have now after so years and many stories in live action and in comics and animation. Their ideas for Superman sound like an elseworld not mainstream. Superman growing on Krypton sounds like Supergirl's story.

Here are more details on his pitch,
    Supergirl's story is traditionally that she arrived after Superman, and that mentorship (or developing dynamic otherwise, as we saw in the New 52) is what defines her superhero identity. She's not necessarily a sidekick, but it isn't much different than Robin starting his career with Batman.

And speaking of Batman, his parents were absolutely not killed by Joker. And he absolutely wasn't trained by R'as. Yet those are in the foundations of two separately successful movie sagas. Begins had Batman start his mission as an adult instead of a child, which is kinda the same thing here. Thor Ragnarok deviated at a much later point and explicitly used a Hulk story... to make the most popular film in the trilogy by far. I'm a comic guy all day, but at some point you can afford to let go a little.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Speaking of the radio show , my understanding was the original origin was that while he arrived to Earth as an adult, he grew during the journey so I assumed he still had no recollection of Krypton anyway and didn't grow up there. Is that accurate? If so, while weird in its own right, it still stays true to the idea that Superman spent virtually no time on his home planet.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-01-2019 at 10:29 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I disagree that the radio show refutes anything.

It just means the radio show was ALSO wrong. The comics are canon. Everything else is just an adaptation. One wrongheaded adaptation doesn't justify another.

Also, Millar's famous 2000 take on a Superman comics reboot (with Morrison and Waid) had a lot of wrong in it, too. The part about Lois being a used-up Mary Magdalene type really stands out to me even today.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH View Post
    It’s brilliant— Kal could grow-up on Krypton, until about the age of 10, when his parents take him to see the movie “The Mark of Nightwing”. Sadly, after the movie, his parents are murdered by Zod-Chill. Young Kal swears that he will dedicate his life fighting evil, and hops in a rocket so he can fly away and get some sweet yellow-sun powers. Oh, and I guess Krypton explodes at some point.
    Lmao. At that point I’d just make a Speeding Bullets adaption.

I mean if it got good reviews I’d go see it but I can’t understand why so many directors want to basically just do some insanely weird TWISSSSST with Supes regarding his origin and what not. Also I don’t want another movie starring Lex. Give me ANYONE else as the main bad guy.