Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Matthew Vaughn reveals his plans for Superman...

Matthew Vaughn Reveals His Proposed 'Superman' Reboot Would Have Seen Clark Growing Up On His Home Planet of Krypton Before It's Destruction

https://hnentertainment.co/matthew-v...-comics-movie/

.......!! Why do they feel the need to mess up with Superman's core story??! That's not right! I hope he stays away from the character..

Nyyyope.

If you can't respect the core of this IP, you're not welcome. Respecting the core does not limit creative choices and individual interpreation. This is Supergirl's core, not Superman's. Learn these things or go away.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-31-2019 at 12:52 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

We know why his pitch was rejected now.

Now,I wouldn't be opposed to an Else worlds like take ala the upcoming Joker movie with this sort of approach,but for mainstream Superman...nah.

I'm more intrigued at what Christopher Mcquarrie wanted to do.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

If he wanted to do a Supergirl story, do it. But don't suddenly give Clark his cousin's backstory.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    If he wanted to do a Supergirl story, do it. But don't suddenly give Clark his cousin's backstory.
    Maybe it's some payback for her television series mining his stories?

Hard pass. His origin is the gold standard for superheroes, along with Batman and Spider-Man. It doesn't need help.

I wonder why everyone is so against using the established property...

Burton/Peters: no flying
    Abrams: Krypton never exploded, Lex is Kryptonian
    Vaughn/Millar: he grew up on Krypton

The biggest problem anyone should face in making a Superman film is how to make the stakes/drama matter when he is as powerful as he is. That's it. All of these other things are ridiculous. Some of these guys (Vaughn & Millar) even say they love the character...I don't see it. I bet they would never dream of changing up Batman's origin...
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Also...I think most would agree that we're pretty much over origin stories at this point. Don't we all want a movie to hit the ground running with an established Superman? We're in a PERFECT scenario to do it, but WB gonna WB. Superman was happy to be alive in Justice League, the weight of the world from BvS was gone. He knew his place in the world, the smiling Superman everyone wanted was back. He's engaged to Lois, we're past all the setup, and people seem to generally like Cavill in the role even though they didn't like his movies...sign him up and go make the movie everyone wants.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'm not really with it, but I'm surprised to see how people are so against it. I mean, it is technically his origin from the radio show, years before we even had Supergirl. I'd actually say that if your vision fails because of that twist, you weren't going to do so much better with the standard origin anyway.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I’m alright with him leaving Krypton as a small child of 1 or 2 years old but I don’t get why people are so obsessed with the origin. I don’t want to watch a movie about Clark in Smallville, I want him in Metropolis learning the ropes as an investigative reporter in the City of Tomorrow. I guess I’m the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m alright with him leaving Krypton as a small child of 1 or 2 years old but I don’t get why people are so obsessed with the origin. I don’t want to watch a movie about Clark in Smallville, I want him in Metropolis learning the ropes as an investigative reporter in the City of Tomorrow. I guess I’m the only one.
    Yeah, I'm ok with him being a toddler when he leaves. Having a vague sense of his loss and his parents that a 2 year old would have could work. I don't know that like a 10 year old Clark coming to Earth would work for me at all. I think you'd have to change his character afterwards to much.

Origins are part of the successful "formula" for superhero movies that studios seem to be tied to. Marvel is the only one that really bucked that trend with Spider-Man recently. Dropping the fully formed Spider-Man into the MCU more or less.

Astonishing Member

Sounds like an extrapolation of the Bud Colyer backstory where he came to Earth as an adult. Frankly if we're going back to Krypton I'd prefer something more akin to Siegel's Return to Krypton.

I think bit by bit we need to admit the best angel for Superman's childhood was the Superboy angle. Nothing else has been able to have a similar weight or value on the mythos as it. I'd love to see a string of non conventional Superman stories that aren't trying to change up the overall flow of his life story though. I'd like to see this guy get a chance but with a mentor of some kind to keep him from messing with the base structure.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Superman growing to say the age of 4 or 5 on Krypton is an inherently different take that allows him contemplate his place between both worlds while still presenting a recognizable package. But adulthood, I think, maybe a step too far astray, and for some reason, to me, has a strange coldness to it that I don't think is intended. Granted, we're all colored by our preconceptions, preferences, and only being able to go off a short sentence or two of the pitch, so who really knows.

I would be interested in Vaughn and Millar's Krypton though. Their obvious shared love of Star Wars (seriously, throw a rock at 75% of Millar's stories and it's basically Star Wars), and Vaughn's willingness to unironically just play straight but fun the sort of stuff that nowadays has to have some sort of knowing wink to it would make for a fascinating Krypton. Superman meets Star Wars/Buck Rogers by way of the Godfather and Game of Thrones sounds interesting, and maybe the only way that I'd ever really give a Superman thing set almost totally on Krypton the time of day.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Origins are part of the successful "formula" for superhero movies that studios seem to be tied to. Marvel is the only one that really bucked that trend with Spider-Man recently. Dropping the fully formed Spider-Man into the MCU more or less.
    Well, he wasn't fully-formed so much as just established but they definitely seem to be going well out of their way not to cover Spider-Man's origin again.

Even BvS did the Wayne murder again for the umpteenth time. Will Reeves buck the trend?

Would have been interesting for an Elseworlds comic mini-series but not for a movie, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

yeah we don't need another Superman origin movie any time soon... especially Not Batman.

I can see people just rolling their eyes at the theater..