Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by maklelin highbain View Post
    Captain Britain and MI13.
    I thought it was great comic. It was also the first Marvel comic that felt like it was actually english. I found it a real shame when it got axed.
    You beat me to it. One of my all time favorite comics. Just really great stuff. Both art and writing.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

I really, really enjoyed the 2016 Scarlet Witch book. A lot of really fantastic artists and good one and done stories alongside a decent character arc story. The Vision was fantastic too of course, but luckily even if it initially didn't sell hot it got a second chance with those director's cut issues.

The problem is a lot of these books get lost in the sauce. Maybe Marvel needs put out less books? We can make an exception for the Star Wars stuff. When it comes to superheroes, twenty-five to thirty comics is all they should be putting out imho.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    The problem is a lot of these books get lost in the sauce. Maybe Marvel needs put out less books? We can make an exception for the Star Wars stuff. When it comes to superheroes, twenty-five to thirty comics is all they should be putting out imho.
    On the other hand, if they put out less books we may never have got a lot of these clearly appreciated books. And they are still available in the back catalogue instead of being a pipe dream story treatment that never got made.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    On the other hand, if they put out less books we may never have got a lot of these clearly appreciated books. And they are still available in the back catalogue instead of being a pipe dream story treatment that never got made.
    Honestly, I think people would appreciate good Marvel comics more if they were still ongoing with new issues. It's a serious problem for Marvel when many potentially interesting books get lost in the shuffle, all because of a glut of mediocre comics that Marvel is directly responsible for publishing. Streamlining the entire Marvel line to a maximum of 20 books would solve this problem and give breathing room for a couple of experimental titles to thrive, if they really are that good of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Honestly, I think people would appreciate good Marvel comics more if they were still ongoing with new issues. It's a serious problem for Marvel when many potentially interesting books get lost in the shuffle, all because of a glut of mediocre comics that Marvel is directly responsible for publishing. Streamlining the entire Marvel line to a maximum of 20 books would solve this problem and give breathing room for a couple of experimental titles to thrive, if they really are that good of course.
    If Marvel stream lined to 20 comics...then several of them would be Spider-man variants, Avengers, X-men...stuff like Vision, Ms Marvel, etc..would never see the light of day.

Quote Originally Posted by tsaimelemoni View Post
    Blackman and Del Mundo's Elektra run.
    QFT. Loved that book, I still go back and read it now.
    It was a while back, but Jeff Parkers Exiles only lasted 6 issues and I would've loved for that to continue.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Yeah, I mean as much as the vast majority of titles Marvel publishes disinterests me I doubt the ones that do would ever be approved within a significantly reduced line. The profit margins on monthly periodicals will continue to be razor thin anyway.

A short lived series is better than never being published, and whose to say if everything needs a long run to be satisfying. A One-Shot can be more satisfying than hundreds of issues.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    If Marvel stream lined to 20 comics...then several of them would be Spider-man variants, Avengers, X-men...stuff like Vision, Ms Marvel, etc..would never see the light of day.
    Well, the way I see it Marvel could have 18 mainstay books (your Spider-Man and X-men etc.) plus room for 2 experimental books on a rotating basis. If one of the mainstay fails, which is to say falls below the 20k cancelation level, it can be replaced by one of the experimental books if they're selling well enough. Then another new experimental book takes that open slot, if Marvel has a good idea. Consistency in the line will restore reader confidence and prevent anymore embarrassingly low sales of potentially good books.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Who says? The X-Men was stinking up the joint so badly Marvel let Hickman can the entire line. Does that Sounds like something that is doing well? As for Ms Marvel, is existence has less to do with the number of titles and more to do with it being a passion project of Sana Amanat. She could easily be created as a limited series and be given a regular series if she caught on. Vision was nothing but a limited series to begin with. if we are tightening the belt we are tightening the belt. LET'S. DO. THIS! While Kintor is a fan of twenty titles, I am a fan of twenty-five titles.

Peter Parker gets two titles.

Miles gets one.

X-MEN gets two team books.

Avengers gets two team books.

Fantastic Four

Champions or Young Avengers, you can't have both. It's just a team name for young heroes so does it really matter?

Black Panther

Thor

Captain Marvel

Captain America

Hulk

Nova

Doctor Strange

Guardians Of The Galaxy

Daredevil

Deadpool

Namor

Punisher

Iron Man

Ghost Rider

Moon Girl

Marvel Team-Up: Starring Ms. Marvel
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Well, the way I see it Marvel could have 18 mainstay books (your Spider-Man and X-men etc.) plus room for 2 experimental books on a rotating basis. If one of the mainstay fails, which is to say falls below the 20k cancelation level, it can be replaced by one of the experimental books if they're selling well enough. Then another new experimental book takes that open slot, if Marvel has a good idea. Consistency in the line will restore reader confidence and prevent anymore embarrassingly low sales of potentially good books.
    Well the way Marvel sees it, they can maximise their profits by publishing more books instead of vainly trying to convince a small audience to buy all of their books. This is the real world not some fantasy ideal for the perfect Marvel. They have worked out that if they plough their monthly publishing budget into a large number of books they can break even or better across the majority of their line. Then they can allow people access to all of it for a monthly digital subscription. They are happy we SHOULD be happy because they have all those books you seem to want and many more that some of us want. Don’t believe the hype that Marvel are not making a profit.

They still could be made, just as limited series.

Well the way Marvel sees it, they can maximise their profits by publishing more books instead of vainly trying to convince a small audience to buy all of their books. This is the real world not some fantasy ideal for the perfect Marvel. They have worked out that if they plough their monthly publishing budget into a large number of books they can break even or better across the majority of their line. Then they can allow people access to all of it for a monthly digital subscription. They are happy we SHOULD be happy because they have all those books you seem to want and many more that some of us want. Don’t believe the hype that Marvel are not making a profit.
    Yeahhhhh, as someone who has lived through 90s when Marvel flooded the market with trash and then crashed hard you'll excuse me if I'm not all in on the "In Marvel We Trust" stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    They still could be made, just as limited series.

Yeahhhhh, as someone who has lived through 90s when Marvel flooded the market with trash and then crashed hard you'll excuse me if I'm not all in on the "In Marvel We Trust" stuff.
    Clearly then Marvel changed their strategy as a form of positive feedback and the bubble burst. I certainly watched that happen. I had also stopped buying comics so that says something too. Now Marvel have maintained a relatively stable and unchanging strategy for many years. I think we can assume it is working fine.

Clearly then Marvel changed their strategy as a form of positive feedback and the bubble burst. I certainly watched that happen. I had also stopped buying comics so that says something too. Now Marvel have maintained a relatively stable and unchanging strategy for many years. I think we can assume it is working fine.
    You're Just Kidding, right Mac? They are cancelling books left and right, relaunching them and then canceling them again. They just announced that they are cancelling and relaunching the entire X-line. Does this sound like a relatively stable and unchanging strategy?