Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Who makes the Joker's suits?

As crazy as the Joker might be, one normal thing he does is attire himself in clothing when he's going about his homicidal business. Over the years, his clothing, though garishly colored, is usually quite...conventional: men's suits with jacket, shirt, vest, and trousers. Joker is unlikely to acquire these suits off the rack at a department store, especially as his preferred colors are uncommon and not mass-manufactured, and his outfits tend to be perfectly fitted to him. Who is the Joker's haberdasher?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

There's a fan comic that deals with this question https://imgur.com/gallery/3tSsr

Quote Originally Posted by Batknight View Post
    There's a fan comic that deals with this question https://imgur.com/gallery/3tSsr
    Man, that's GREAT! TOTALLY deserves to be officially published by DC!

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Who is the Joker's haberdasher?
    I wonder if there's more than one person.

(Joker would be likely to kill off anybody who made a mistake with his clothing; he might not be willing to be re-fitted if there's a problem.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I wonder if there's more than one person.

(Joker would be likely to kill off anybody who made a mistake with his clothing; he might not be willing to be re-fitted if there's a problem.)
    Joker strikes me as one of the more vain Batman enemies. I think that clown really cares how he looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Joker strikes me as one of the more vain Batman enemies. I think that clown really cares how he looks.
    I'm not saying he doesn't care. I'm saying he might over-react if a suit doesn't turn out perfectly the first time / every time.

Joker would tend to react without first thinking of the long-term consequences, like having to find a new haberdasher if he kills his current favorite because of a minor mistake.

whoever makes the suits, they probably don't live long if it's an in-person order. (no witnesses). best to order them from Amazon.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batknight View Post
    if bruce has to have his cowl mask repaired by a unknown tailor whats Alfred there for???

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    if bruce has to have his cowl mask repaired by a unknown tailor whats Alfred there for???
    All the other aspects. I guess this is more of a field repair because Bruce just doesn't have time to go back to the Batcave/Manor.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    Everything else.

Crazy Quilt?
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

BANNED

well guess that depends on whether he doubles as a butler and a valet.

The Tailor of Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Crazy Quilt?
    It's a quilt of colors!
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Retired

If you think about it, back when the Joker first appeared, his suit wouldn't have looked unusual to readers of the day. The purple colour was used a lot in comics, because it was easier to use that than trying to do real grey. So when you see purple think grey, when you see blue think black, when you see orange think brown. And besides being often easier for the printing presses, these more vibrant colours made comic books attractive to the consumer.

The cut of Joker's suit is out of date, but not that much out of date. It's maybe twenty years out of date, so the kind of suit you would see a lot of poor people wearing--because they got it at a thrift shop, where the wealthier people would deposit their old wardrobe--or else elderly people who are out of fashion in any generation. The same thing happens nowadays, where we see a lot of old clothes being worn by the poor and the elderly--or just people that want to challenge convention.

The original Toyman from the Superman comics is similar. He's typical of an older person who hasn't caught up with the times. He has long hair, because long hair used be common, before military service for the younger generations made short hair popular. He wears old-timey clothes and the reader would immediately recognize that he's from another generation. Which would indicate certain aspects of his character, without ever having to write this into the story.

Both Joker and Toyman make me think of the German Expressionist movies from the 1920s and 1930s. The artists may have wanted to bring that flavour into the stories--since those films do a good job of showing malevolent characters. THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI (1920) is one of the most influential in that regard. Remember, to someone in 1940, a movie like that would be akin to AMERICAN PIE (1999) for us today--not so far out of date that it isn't known and seen by many people still.