Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Why Do People Even Care About Wally West?

I keep seeing all over people upset about how Wally West has been treated and especially in HiC.

Why do fans care about him so much? I am new to DC but more specifically do not know anything about Flash.

I see that Flash is an important figure and that I need to figure out what Flashpoint is, but what is special about Wally West?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

He carried the Flash franchise on his back for over 20 years. And arguably made it popular.

Amazing Member

By no means do I speak for everyone, but I think a sizable reaction to current issues and why people are upset is that for a decent percentage of readers who grew up in the 80's & 90's Wally IS their Flash.

Barry's death in CoIE in the mid 80's led to Wally taking over both the main Flash book, and coupling that with his near constant presence in Titans & Justice League books his characterization was what locked in for many people as "The" Flash. His was the characterization used in the JLA animated series, and you could argue that when they transitioned to the live action CW Flash, while he had the Barry name and origin his personality was in large part a mixture of Barry & Wally.

This lead to a decent pushback when Barry was brought back to life, and almost more that 2 decades of largely coherent and constant character growth and development were to a degree pushed to the wayside to bring Barry back to the "forefront" of the franchise as the lead Flash.

When he went into limbo post Flashpoint into the New52 it was something people dealt with, but with this recent return and ... confusing issue of timelines/memories/and out of character portrayals has left people just a bit cold on the whole issue.

BANNED

it's not only what's so special about Wally per se but also DCs perceived prejudice against the character since didio who always was looking for opportunities to replace the younger generation with the old guard jumping through the hoops to achieve this no matter how many of the fans of these characters protest which causes so much ire. take for example this present storyline which instead of granting Wally a worthy end to his arc turns him into a mass murderer albeit unintentionally. this isn't how you want to end one arc of a characters journey before beginning another no matter how benevolent the intentions. some may wish that Wally died before he had a heel turn instead he has became a hated and vilified character in universe in the DCU.

Incredible Member

Well, he was the Flash for more than 20 years, he was the Flash to all a generation of readers.

And it wasn´t something temporal, like those times when Nightwing becomes Batman or some character replaces the main hero and you know things would come back to how they used to be when a new movie is released. It didn´t feel forced, because he was Barry Allen/Flash´s sidekick, so he inherited the cowl after Barry sacrificed his live in order to save many universes.

Wally also grew up a lot as a character. At the beginning he was more materialist and a womanizer, and he even was very "slow" in comparision to others speedsters. But all those things changed with the years, he surpassed his mentor, found love and even got married.

It also helps he had a lot of amazing stories that help to develop the Flash´s franchise: the Speed Force, the Flash Family, a legacy that trascends millennia, all of that was created during Wally´s run as the Flash.

He was the Flash of the Modern Age for over 20 years and a damn good character. He was the Flash of the JL and JLU acclaimed animated series. He was the teen sidekick who had to replace his mentor and eventually surpassed him.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

The first image is from Justice League the animated series. That series, for Flash, had Wally West, not Barry Allen. In it, when Lex Luthor and Brainiac fused, it was Wally that defeated the two villains.
    The second one is from Young Justice, where Wally is first introduced as Kid Flash, and one of, if not the closest friend that Dick Grayson (first Robin, then became Nightwing) had.

We know that's you, Didio.

Quote Originally Posted by movieclub View Post
    I keep seeing all over people upset about how Wally West has been treated and especially in HiC.

Why do fans care about him so much? I am new to DC but more specifically do not know anything about Flash.

I see that Flash is an important figure and that I need to figure out what Flashpoint is, but what is special about Wally West?
    Go check out the Wally appreciation thread.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

All-New Member

Thanks for the replies and clarification all! I love the dedication on this site. What are some WW Flash must reads?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    Well, he was the Flash for more than 20 years, he was the Flash to all a generation of readers.

And it wasn´t something temporal, like those times when Nightwing becomes Batman or some character replaces the main hero and you know things would come back to how they used to be when a new movie is released. It didn´t feel forced, because he was Barry Allen/Flash´s sidekick, so he inherited the cowl after Barry sacrificed his live in order to save many universes.

Wally also grew up a lot as a character. At the beginning he was more materialist and a womanizer, and he even was very "slow" in comparision to others speedsters. But all those things changed with the years, he surpassed his mentor, found love and even got married.

It also helps he had a lot of amazing stories that help to develop the Flash´s franchise: the Speed Force, the Flash Family, a legacy that trascends millennia, all of that was created during Wally´s run as the Flash.
    Pretty much this. A lot of what defined the Flash franchise was introduced during Wally's tenure. I mean, the Speed Force is pretty much the most utilized element of Flash's mythos and it was something Wally discovered. Well, technically Max Mercury, but you know what I mean...

Thanks for the replies and clarification all! I love the dedication on this site. What are some WW Flash must reads?
    Well, you definitely have to read Mark Waid's run on the Flash from the 90s. It's pretty much looked at not just as one of the most definitive runs on Wally or even the entire Flash franchise, but as one of the best comic book runs that DC has ever produced. I believe you can get it in collected volumes on Comixology. There's also the original Geoff Johns run on Flash from the early 2000s. Its pretty fantastic.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 05-31-2019 at 10:34 PM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Wally West was introduced in 1960.
    He was Kid Flash for for 27 years and took over the mantle of the Flash in 1987 after the death of Barry Allen in Crisis on Infinite Earths #8.
    Along the way making appearances in the Flash title and being a member of a comic that once sold better than X-Men at the height of their powers.

He was then the Flash from Flash #1 in 1987 until Dan Didio determined that Barry Allen had to return - and everyone else Flash related had to go away.

So Wally West was THE Flash appearing in the monthly Flash title until 2009 - that's 22 years as the Flash. In his own comic and regularly appearing elsewhere in the DCU - including the JLA, Impulse, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and Darkstars as well as in animation in both Justice League, JL Unlimited and Superman TAS.
    During this time he overcame everything thrown at him. He beat the devil. He overcame the murder of his unborn children. He defeated his uncle's greatest nemesis to uphold his memory. Rogues, old and new, super intelligent gorilla invasions, dangerous mirror worlds, super speed cults - Wally West got through it all ALWAYS embracing his powers and taking pride upholding the mantle his uncle carried before him.

Now take that character - that some people LITERALLY grew up with, drop him into a storyline he had no right being in, and twist him into something unrecognisable to fit a narrative that read like it was constructed my a retarded chimpanzee and piss all over everything that was ever good about said character.

Fans were angry enough that DC took the Flash family characters off the table in the first place. Taking a much loved character with a publishing history of 59 years and writing them this way makes them NUTS.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

You are missing out on one of the greatest on-going stories for a single character ever told. People love Wally West because reading his stories made you feel like you were watching one of your closest friends grow, triumph, and ultimately become one of the greatest heroes DC or Marvel has ever produced.

Then DC blew to hell. Which some would say to spite the fans but really it's only hurting themselves.

Do yourself a favor though, pick up some of Wally's trade paperbacks. Eventually, the character will show you why he is so loved.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Wally West was introduced in 1960.
    He was Kid Flash for for 27 years and took over the mantle of the Flash in 1987 after the death of Barry Allen in Crisis on Infinite Earths #8.
    Along the way making appearances in the Flash title and being a member of a comic that once sold better than X-Men at the height of their powers.

He was then the Flash from Flash #1 in 1987 until Dan Didio determined that Barry Allen had to return - and everyone else Flash related had to go away.

So Wally West was THE Flash appearing in the monthly Flash title until 2009 - that's 22 years as the Flash. In his own comic and regularly appearing elsewhere in the DCU - including the JLA, Impulse, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and Darkstars as well as in animation in both Justice League, JL Unlimited and Superman TAS.
    During this time he overcame everything thrown at him. He beat the devil. He overcame the murder of his unborn children. He defeated his uncle's greatest nemesis to uphold his memory. Rogues, old and new, super intelligent gorilla invasions, dangerous mirror worlds, super speed cults - Wally West got through it all ALWAYS embracing his powers and taking pride upholding the mantle his uncle carried before him.

Now take that character - that some people LITERALLY grew up with, drop him into a storyline he had no right being in, and twist him into something unrecognisable to fit a narrative that read like it was constructed my a retarded chimpanzee and piss all over everything that was ever good about said character.

Fans were angry enough that DC took the Flash family characters off the table in the first place. Taking a much loved character with a publishing history of 59 years and writing them this way makes them NUTS.
    And THIS!!! SPOT ON my friend.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 06-01-2019 at 05:44 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

The whole thing!!!!

Seriously, I'm not sure his earliest writers are collected as of yet. Definitely read Mark Waid's run as he really defined the character and brought in many of the Flash mythos that is popular today with Barry.

You've already had great replies as to what makes Wally special, in addition to what has been said above I will add the Flash family was a wonderful dynamic of characters that we have not seen since Barry has returned. You had Jay Garrick serving as a mentor figure to Wally at first and then seeing them operate as equals, Max Mercury, Johnny & Jesse Quick, and eventually Bart Allen as Impulse. It was a wonderful cast of characters that added to each story and heck this run helped to make Jay Garrick my favorite Flash.

All of that was lost when Barry returned because a petulant man child feels these characters threaten his favorite Flash and god forbid anyone like any other Flash that isn't Barry.
    Last edited by Jekyll; 06-01-2019 at 05:51 AM.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    The whole thing!!!!

Seriously, I'm not sure his earliest writers are collected as of yet. Definitely read Mark Waid's run as he really defined the character and brought in many of the Flash mythos that is popular today with Barry.

You've already had great replies as to what makes Wally special, in addition to what has been said above I will add the Flash family was a wonderful dynamic of characters that we have not seen since Barry has returned. You had Jay Garrick serving as a mentor figure to Wally at first and then seeing them operate as equals, Max Mercury, Johnny & Jesse Quick, and eventually Bart Allen as Impulse. It was a wonderful cast of characters that added to each story and heck this run helped to make Jay Garrick my favorite Flash.

All of that was lost when Barry returned because a petulant man child feels these characters threaten his favorite Flash and god forbid anyone like any other Flash that isn't Barry.
    And then they kind of screwed up Barry by saddling him with unnecessary baggage (his mother being killed by Professor Zoom and his father being framed and sent to prison).

Anyway, as others have kind of said, it was during Wally's run that redefined Flash for the modern age. Barry's tenure may have introduced stuff like the Rogues, the Cosmic Treadmill, and the Flash Museum. But Wally was the star when concepts like the Speed Force were introduced and it was during his run that the Flash family was expanded to include characters like Max Mercury, Jesse Quick and Impulse. Even some of the more Barry concepts would be improved during Wally's tenure, like how the Geoff Johns run redefined the Flash's Rogues.