Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default A man with nothing to lose Vs. A man with everything to gain

Assuming they have the same combat experience and around the same level in terms of skill, Which of the two has the will to win this fight? Who wins in a fight to death?
    Last edited by 950Killer; 06-01-2019 at 05:58 AM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

The one that gets rocked first is the one who probably loses.

I think the man with everything to gain would win a slight majority. A man with nothing to lose is partially going to be motivated by suicidal urges, by the desire for it to just be over.

The man with everything to gain is going to be hopeful, his morale is going to be high, and he is going to be calmly focused.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    The man with everything to gain is going to be hopeful, his morale is going to be high, and he is going to be calmly focused.
    Or he could be anxious about his every move seeing as a single mistake can cost him everything. Psychologically, loss aversion is much more devastating than gaining anything, so the fear of losing all might affect their performance.

Gonna bet on the naked guy, he's already lost everything.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I think the man with everything to gain would win a slight majority. A man with nothing to lose is partially going to be motivated by suicidal urges, by the desire for it to just be over.

I agree with this assessment.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Spectacular Member

I can't help but think that these are the same guy, in the same situation, just phrased differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Twickster View Post
    Or he could be anxious about his every move seeing as a single mistake can cost him everything. Psychologically, loss aversion is much more devastating than gaining anything, so the fear of losing all might affect their performance.
    This.

The guy with nothing to lose is, at worst, going to end up exactly where he already is. Anything more is a bonus. That means he has no need to worry, which brings clarity and focus.

The guy with everything to gain will be second-guessing himself all the time, meaning hesitation. And he who hesitates....

George Carlin has a routine where he talks about growing up in a tough neighborhood. One of the things he says he learned to is to never get into a fight with someone who "doesn't give a ****." Because, he says, "someone who doesn't give a **** will always destroy someone who does." Not an exact quote, it's from memory, but I'll bet someone can find the exact YouTube clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    George Carlin has a routine where he talks about growing up in a tough neighborhood. One of the things he says he learned to is to never get into a fight with someone who "doesn't give a ****." Because, he says, "someone who doesn't give a **** will always destroy someone who does." Not an exact quote, it's from memory, but I'll bet someone can find the exact YouTube clip.
    Never pick a fight with a naked man, he's already lost everything.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Never pick a fight with a naked man, he's already lost everything.
    But you can stamp on his toes...

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    But you can stamp on his toes...
    I dunno if that'd matter, given it's a naked man bum-rushing you. Then again, that's Rugby for the most part ...

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I dunno if that'd matter, given it's a naked man bum-rushing you. Then again, that's Rugby for the most part ...
    You must have some weird forms of Rugby in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    You must have some weird forms of Rugby in Alaska.
    Just a guy who wrestles bears in the nude, really. No idea why his parents named him that.

Arx Inosaan

BANNED

is it me or does this seem like a bruce Wayne vs Clark Kent thread if they were not Batman and Superman? Bruce the man who hasn't anything to lose after the tragic incident vs Clark Kent the man who has everything to gain when he transitions to the big city life.