Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear vs Gorilla

Ultimate Member

Default Bear vs Gorilla

Yeah, I know how dangerous these waters are but I'm diving in head first.

The Gorilla has the intelligence and training of a wrestler (think Khabib Nurmagomedov).

The Bear has the intelligence of the average man but no training whatsoever.

Who wins?

Probably the bear. Just a larger, more well equipped animal for fighting. Teeth + claws + weight advantage = a dead Gorilla.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

...what kind of bear? If it's a black bear, there's some room for discussion.

If it's a grizzly or polar bear, forget it.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Oh, I missed the stipulations of the fight.

Still, if it's a polar/grizzly the Gorilla is still screwed. Sun bear? Black bear?

....panda??? :P
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    ...what kind of bear? If it's a black bear, there's some room for discussion.

If it's a grizzly or polar bear, forget it.
    I had a black bear in mind.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Maybe, then?

Gorilla body isn't going to move like a human's; having wrestling training might help a little, but everything will be waaaaay off. And 'wrestling training and experience' really doesn't help as much as it might sound, as that's predicated around training to fight people. Not quadrupeds who happen to have sharp teeth and claws.

They weigh...pretty close to the same, if we take an average.

I'm going to give it to the bear, more often than not, due to the claws and teeth being rather more dangerous than what the gorilla has. Mileage, it may vary.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Oh, I missed the stipulations of the fight.

Still, if it's a polar/grizzly the Gorilla is still screwed. Sun bear? Black bear?

....panda??? :P
    Koala bears!

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    Koala bears!
    Water bears! Teddy bears! Gummy bears! Care bears!
    - big_adventure

So the thing about bears is, when they're 'bloodlusted', they are also filled with adrenaline enough to keep going well after their internal organs have been destroyed. Which is to say ...

I don't feel the Gorilla is going to fare very well.

Addendum: Like zombies, if you destroy the brain the bear will die, regardless ... but I do not see a Gorilla managing that before the bear chews its way through the Gorilla's chest ... like a reverse chestburster.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    So the thing about bears is, when they're 'bloodlusted', they are also filled with adrenaline enough to keep going well after their internal organs have been destroyed. Which is to say ...

Addendum: Like zombies, if you destroy the brain the bear will die, regardless ... but I do not see a Gorilla managing that before the bear chews its way through the Gorilla's chest ... like a reverse chestburster.
    But in this case the bear has the intelligence of the average human which might negate the bloodlust.

But in this case the bear has the intelligence of the average human which might negate the bloodlust.
    Eh. Adrenaline is adrenaline. It should activate in a fight regardless of the mind in charge.

I've never heard of this "bear zombie organ destruction super adrenaline" but hey. I am only familiar with polite, friendly Canadian bears. Alaskan bears might be a whole other level of grumpy ;P
    - big_adventure

It's a Standard Khazan match, so they both start bloodlusted regardless of their intelligence.

Also, how smart the bear is, isn't going to magically negate its physiology. Basically, the adrenaline comes as a result of the bear preparing to do bear things. In this case it's tearing a Gorilla to pieces.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Eh. Adrenaline is adrenaline. It should activate in a fight regardless of the mind in charge.

I've never heard of this "bear zombie organ destruction super adrenaline" but hey. I am only familiar with polite, friendly Canadian bears. Alaskan bears might be a whole other level of grumpy ;P
    Biggest bears on the planet, in Alaska.

Admittedly I've never experienced it myself, but there's documented/verified stories about people shooting bears in the lungs/heart/face, and the bears continuing on with their business ... or mauling the shooter; only to die after a few minutes.

Whether or not that's actually adrenaline, or just bears being some kind of Uber Creature (I'd argue both) not sure. Just easier to say it's adrenaline :P

Arx Inosaan

BANNED

bear: you cannot bear my onslaught
    Gorilla: Sez you. my monkey tricks will enable me to suplex the hell out of you.
    bear: you are bearly my match
    Gorilla: you are looking at a primal primate who has been working out
    Bear: time for some pandamonium
    Gorilla: get stuffed

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post

Yeah....agreeing with Cthulu here (and Sharp as well)...there are some small black bears that I could see being dispensed with...but a grizz? Brownie...especially a Kodiak brown? I dont see a gorilla dealing with that kind of raw power? Bears are notorious for tanking terrible punishment and just keep coming (to the tune of two bullets....505 Gibbs...not joking...) and the bear keeps coming. I'll go with the bear.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.