Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Is Warners replacing the DCEU?

So this hasn't been confirmed by anyone as far as I know, BUT...The new Batman movie starring Robert Pattinson MIGHT be the start of a "new" DCEU depending on how well it does. One that will eventually phase out the current one:

https://twitter.com/markhughesfilms/...69791526539266

Found this on the Superman thread and have NO IDEA how reliable this guy is as a source, but I don't think it's a surprise that the new Batman will have no connection to the current DCEU. If anyone knows more about this than I, please feel free to share.
    Assassinate Putin!

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

They might as well. They've totally screwed up the movies since and including Green Lantern anyway.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

It sounds like speculation. As of right now, the previous DCEU continuity is seemingly no longer a thing, at least as far as crossovers go.

We still have Wonder Woman, Aquaman and some of the Suicide Squad characters, but we're getting a new Batman. Henry Cavill's return as Superman is still up in the air, but is looking increasingly unlikely (just this week both Matthew Vaughn and Christopher McQuarrie seemed to strongly indicate there are no plans for a Man of Steel 2). Ezra Miller and Ray Fisher's contracts supposedly were set to expire at the end of May, and it's now June (and of course, the Cyborg solo movie has been cancelled by now). And Amy Addams said she's heard nothing about Man of Steel 2 but that she thinks she's done in the DCEU and that Lois Lane will be recast.

So it's possible all of those characters will either be dropped or recast, and indeed, we're supposedly getting a Supergirl movie soon anyway. I think that might be where they introduce a new actor to replace Cavill in the Superman role as a supporting character.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

At this point? Go for it. You can plug the movies that worked (WW, Aquaman and Shazam) in with minimal fuss. Each has a bit of connective tissue, but really they're not massively connected.

Diana has a picture Bruce talked about. Arthur helped fight an alien with the Justice League. Billy's brother is a fan, Superman once wore a suit.

I'm playing it fast and loose, but they can rebuild all they want or just not sweat the details as much. Just make good movies. I don't think anyone's going to care all that much which universe Birds of Prey is in if it's great.

I hate the DCEU, but I really love Shazam and the first two acts of Wonder Woman. I like Aquaman and the third act of Wonder Woman. Don't really care that they're part of the DCEU, they're fun movies with characters I've loved my whole life. That's all I need when I watch a theatrical film adaption.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    They might as well. They've totally screwed up the movies since and including Green Lantern anyway.
    Green Lantern wasn't part of the DECU. That started with Man of Steel.

No need to reboot etc. Just literally do what Aquaman did and play it vague.

"Yeah I'm Robert Pattison and I got really pissed off with Superman and we had a fight, it happens"
    "Weren't you like 50?"
    "Who cares ? I'm going to fight Bane now"

Retired

There's no such thing as a DCEU. That was just something someone made up and it was never an official name. I always think that a DCEU is what you would call the Europe based comics.

If the E stands for Extended--what's that supposed to mean exactly? How is it extended and why would you even need to say that. Isn't a DCU essentially the same thing? Extended seems to imply that it includes more stuff than a regular universe--so a Multiverse?

Given the film universe was never exactly defined in the first place, it's hard to say that any new movies are breaking away from that, since it never was defined. You can't break away from something that never had borders to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    There's no such thing as a DCEU. That was just something someone made up and it was never an official name. I always think that a DCEU is what you would call the Europe based comics.

If the E stands for Extended--what's that supposed to mean exactly? How is it extended and why would you even need to say that. Isn't a DCU essentially the same thing? Extended seems to imply that it includes more stuff than a regular universe--so a Multiverse?

Given the film universe was never exactly defined in the first place, it's hard to say that any new movies are breaking away from that, since it never was defined. You can't break away from something that never had borders to begin with.
    The 2014 announcement made it pretty clear they were creating a shared universe which now given characters being given reboots and stand alone films seems no longer the plan.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think Warner Bros. is more focused on trying to make movies audiences like than creating a shared universe these days. If there are connections between films that work, we'll see them, otherwise, I think they'll be mostly stand-alone films.

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    Green Lantern wasn't part of the DECU. That started with Man of Steel.
    GL was supposed to start the DCEU, but flopped so hard they excluded it from the continuity - that's why the Justice League movie didn't have Green Lantern in it.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    No need to reboot etc. Just literally do what Aquaman did and play it vague.

"Yeah I'm Robert Pattison and I got really pissed off with Superman and we had a fight, it happens"
    "Weren't you like 50?"
    "Who cares ? I'm going to fight Bane now"
    Yeah, I was about to say the same thing. For all we know, Matt Reeves's Batman could be set in the past, which is why Batman is younger. However, if there really needs to be an excuse for any de-aging, well the Batman comics already come with a perfect reason baked into the mythos: just say Bruce jumped into one of Ra's al Ghul's Lazarus Pits.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think Warner Bros. is more focused on trying to make movies audiences like than creating a shared universe these days. If there are connections between films that work, we'll see them, otherwise, I think they'll be mostly stand-alone films.
    This is the method I prefer, honestly. Stand alone movies. That way if one sucks, it doesn't drag the others down. WW would work so much better as it's own thing not carrying the baggage of BVS with it. Marvel is such a controlled environment. But their movies are also very formulaic. There isn't a lot of room for creative liberties.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    So this hasn't been confirmed by anyone as far as I know, BUT...The new Batman movie starring Robert Pattinson MIGHT be the start of a "new" DCEU depending on how well it does. One that will eventually phase out the current one:

https://twitter.com/markhughesfilms/...69791526539266

Found this on the Superman thread and have NO IDEA how reliable this guy is as a source, but I don't think it's a surprise that the new Batman will have no connection to the current DCEU. If anyone knows more about this than I, please feel free to share.
    You know, it saddens me to say that I don't even care. Right now DC (films and books) are in crisis. A change in leadership is desperately needed.

I dont really care what WB does. I never felt the need for a shared universe in the first place. Unlike the early days of Marvel Studios, the DC bench has enough big names and hitters to not require the shared universe gimmick to drive up interest.

And WB can barely manage to make a good movie in the first place. I'm really not worried about how all the movies connect to each other when half of them aren't worth watching.

But as I understand it, the plan now is to focus on individual IP's, and any crossovers that arise from that is just icing on the cake. The way it should have been from the start. What that means for the continuity of the films we have already? I dont know and don't care.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Retired

Is it a case of Theseus' Ship? Replace a part here, replace a part there, eventually it's all new.

Even the Marvel movie universe, in time, will have the same fate. Maybe even more rapidly and profoundly, as they make more movies per year and they have more actors to deal with. At some point, nothing about the old MCU will still exist.