Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I liked Fat Thor and didn’t feel like the character was hurt by it at all, especially when Endgame clearly won’t be the end of Thor’s story.

Extraordinary Member

Inliked Fat Thor. Yes, the joke wore thin, but the acting was spectacular and very well done. You were supposed to feel pity and get annoyed with him, but again, you were also supposed to understand that the man had been through hell.

There's also the very real fact that if someone drinks and drinks and eats to excess, they are going to get fat, especially if they do nothing but those two things. It will wreck their body. I'm happy that the movie didn't down play this and I'm really happy that he stayed fat.

Fat Thor is a national treasure!

I think the direction they took him in made sense and was viable; he declined the throne and that act helped send everything to hell (Loki ruling Asgard, ignoring allies like the dwarves, starting Ragnarok, failed to find the Stones, etc). He accepted the throne and what did he do? Immediately destroyed his homeworld and then lost half his remaining people, then failed to stop Thanos, and lost half of the Asgardians who were left after the first purge. 75% of his people, dead within a matter of days while Thor sat the throne. And that's before we get into the matter of the AoU "destroyer" vision hanging over his dead, the loss of his father, brother, hammer, friends, eye, killing his sister, the multitude of times he nearly died in a very short amount of time, etc. And killing Thanos? An empty victory.

It made sense to me that he just....stopped. He failed to protect Asgard as a hero, failed to protect them as king. What else can he do?

If they had played it for laughs through the whole film, I'd have issue with it. But they don't. They get the jokes in early, and once Thor has a mission he starts to come back to his old self. The talk with Frigga and discovering that he's still worthy were some of the best moments Thor has ever had in the movies and certainly Hemsworth's best acting in the role. And in the end, instead of making him thin and fit again as a way to show that he was getting better, he remains fat.....because his weight was never the problem.

And he gets to wield Mjlonir and Stormbreaker at the same time, which is just all kinds of crazy badass. And, at last, he has a proper beard!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

LOL, you guys do know that Fat Thor remaining the entire film was Chris Hemsworth request right? The writers were going to revert him back during the middle of the movie but Chris asked to keep him until the end.
    That still doesn't change his fight scenes though, it's not like he got wrecked more because he was fat.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    it's not like he got wrecked more because he was fat.
    No he got wrecked more because he was otherwise nowhere near what he had been in terms of strength and combat ability. A full powered Thor with both weapons like we saw in Infinity War SHOULD have taken Thanos. Instead he was overpowered and nearly cleaved open by his own axe.

I thought he wasn't full-powered. People keep pointing out he never does anything as impressive as he did in Infinity War, and I felt that was the point. He spent five years sitting on his ass, getting drunk and eating pizza, so he wasn't in fighting shape when stuff went down and he had to pick up the axe again.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I thought he wasn't full-powered. People keep pointing out he never does anything as impressive as he did in Infinity War, and I felt that was the point. He spent five years sitting on his ass, getting drunk and eating pizza, so he wasn't in fighting shape when stuff went down and he had to pick up the axe again.
    Not to mention his psychological state was a mess. He was really down and without confidence.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    LOL, you guys do know that Fat Thor remaining the entire film was Chris Hemsworth request right? The writers were going to revert him back during the middle of the movie but Chris asked to keep him until the end.
    That still doesn't change his fight scenes though, it's not like he got wrecked more because he was fat.
    He got wrecked because of his severe alcoholism. Seriously, he was a secere alcoholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It is odd that Thor's dialogue felt more dramatic and portentous and, to my ear, 'Thor-like,' in the first Avengers movie than in any of his own stand-alone movies.
    I seem to remember Fiege and/or Whedon saying they felt more comfortable with the Shakespearean dialogue when the Asgardians were amongst an ensemble rather than making up the entire main cast. Less worries about the audience losing track.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    Not to mention his psychological state was a mess. He was really down and without confidence.
    This.

In addition to what others have said, Thor was a wreck in the movie.

Although I feel he should have fought Thanos better but the movie did make it clear that Thor was at his lowest.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    He got wrecked because of his severe alcoholism. Seriously, he was a secere alcoholic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This.

In addition to what others have said, Thor was a wreck in the movie.

Although I feel he should have fought Thanos better but the movie did make it clear that Thor was at his lowest.
    ...and that's when true heroes shine the brightest. As did Thor.

Ok I am the last one into the pool and finally saw the movie.

A question I had the movie ends 5 years after the initial snap when they bring everyone back so why are all the kids at Parkers school still there? There were not all snapped were they?

Also who is the kid in the back of the funeral? is that the kid from the IM movie?

So could Wanda, Thor, Carol, and maybe Hulk all killed Thanos They all effective to some point one on one

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    Ok I am the last one into the pool and finally saw the movie.

A question I had the movie ends 5 years after the initial snap when they bring everyone back so why are all the kids at Parkers school still there? There were not all snapped were they?

Also who is the kid in the back of the funeral? is that the kid from the IM movie?
    So could Wanda, Thor, Carol, and maybe Hulk all killed Thanos They all effective to some point one on one

1) Yes they were all snapped. IMO, it's not really that far of a stretch to think all five of them disappeared too.

2) Yes, the kid appeared in one of the Iron man movies.

3) Probably. But it wouldn't be has cool to have just one hero fighting Thanos. (unless one of them is your fav)

one more how many oscar winners were in the movie

Larsen
    Douglas
    Hurt
    Portman
    Redford
    Tomei
    Paltrow

I think I might be missing one or so

No Blanchett, Hopkins or Nyong'o That I noticed

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    The bit started off good but quickly got old.

But I doubt the move was made for people really to be into on going(future films). It was done mostly to tear him down to build up other characters. A poor man's story crafting that Marvel has mastered over the last couple of years.
    Personally i think only the first movie and Infinity War got Thor right. Although i have some issues with him getting tased by Jane. He's such a bumbling idiot in the other movies