Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default The "Doing good deeds in the name of Wally West" Thread

This is a thread for fans upset over Wally West's poor treatment to organize and cooperate in order to put some good out into the world as a means of both honoring what Wally represents, but also drawing more attention to how badly DC has mismanaged the character.

My initial suggestions would be sending old Wally West comics to children's hospitals or wards, donations to mental health charities, or maybe even a run to raise even more money for charity.

The more ideas, the better. Be creative and think outside the box. There's always hope, you just need to remind people of why Wally is so important to you.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

May I suggest something? No mental health charities.

(I'm not saying don't donate to mental health charities. Please do! Just don't do it as part of this initiative).

Because it would validate and or call more attention to HiC, and that just needs to die.

Donate to programs focused on athleticism, may be track and field and such. Things that can lift kids out of a bad home and stuff like that. It's more adequate, here.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

BANNED

make a APK/website where you can get people to sign up for the "I am Wally West and I will never stop running" marathon?

Astonishing Member

Keep an eye on this, I'll be giving you guys a legup. I'll be doing something in the coming week.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    May I suggest something? No mental health charities.

(I'm not saying don't donate to mental health charities. Please do! Just don't do it as part of this initiative).

Because it would validate and or call more attention to HiC, and that just needs to die.

Donate to programs focused on athleticism, may be track and field and such. Things that can lift kids out of a bad home and stuff like that. It's more adequate, here.
    I don't think you can ignore the elephant in the room. The major problems Wally fans have with HiC is going to get mentioned in any press reports of whatever good deeds get done anyway.

Rather than have someone misinterpret this as being about not wanting mental health issues dealt with in superhero comics, lean into that wave by donating to mental health charities to make clear that the issue was how Wally was portrayed, rather than the whole idea of PTSD itself.

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

This is a nice initiative and I’d be happy to help if something comes out. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    This is a nice initiative and I’d be happy to help if something comes out. Thank you.
    Awesome to hear. Do you have any ideas on what kind of good deeds Wally fans could do?

I am very fond of Wally West, but I am by no means a superfan with an encyclopedic knowledge of his history. I mostly read the best Waid & John's stuff so I don't really know what kind of charities or social issues would be appropriate to Wally. I remember Waid touched on the idea of Wally's childhood being pretty awful because he had awful parents, so maybe shelters for abused children (although maybe you don't want to go that route either as I don’t think Waid ever implied that Wally was abused physically, just neglected emotionally)

What about The Big Brothers? That would play nicely into the idea that a kind mentor figure helped shape Wally into a hero, which he then passed on to the next generation by serving as an inspiration to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Awesome to hear. Do you have any ideas on what kind of good deeds Wally fans could do?

I am very fond of Wally West, but I am by no means a superfan with an encyclopedic knowledge of his history. I mostly read the best Waid & John's stuff so I don't really know what kind of charities or social issues would be appropriate to Wally. I remember Waid touched on the idea of Wally's childhood being pretty awful because he had awful parents, so maybe shelters for abused children (although maybe you don't want to go that route either as I don’t think Waid ever implied that Wally was abused physically, just neglected emotionally)

What about The Big Brothers? That would play nicely into the idea that a kind mentor figure helped shape Wally into a hero, which he then passed on to the next generation by serving as an inspiration to them.
    Well, my english is just so bad that you may have understand I'm not from USA so I don't now what's possible to do in your country, what are the possibilies. So I will be supportive, but I'm not sure I can find a correct initiative.

But I love your idea. I don't know the Big Brothers, but you can be sure I'm going to do my homeworks this afternoon. It seems to be a great start and even if I'm not a fan of the abusive parents RetCon, I can totally relate. As a kid, Wally West helped me to figure out who I wanted to be and gave me values my parents, unfortunately, couldn't provide. Reading his stories helped to understand a lot of things and made it easier to move forward. So even if we are talking about a fictional character, I think I owe a thing or two to this symbol of hope. Now I'm teacher, I try everything I can to help my students who live in some crazy neighborhoods and The Big Brothers seems to be a nice organization to work with.

I can contact people and every dollar I don't spend in DC Comics these days can be used in this kind of initiative.

Again, thank you for this. I am tired to complain about DC's decisions and this seems to be a good fight and a cool way to show we won't accept the nihilism and the suffering they are spreading with Wally West.

Have a good day

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    Well, my english is just so bad that you may have understand I'm not from USA so I don't now what's possible to do in your country, what are the possibilies. So I will be supportive, but I'm not sure I can find a correct initiative.

But I love your idea. I don't know the Big Brothers, but you can be sure I'm going to do my homeworks this afternoon. It seems to be a great start and even if I'm not a fan of the abusive parents RetCon, I can totally relate. As a kid, Wally West helped me to figure out who I wanted to be and gave me values my parents, unfortunately, couldn't provide. Reading his stories helped to understand a lot of things and made it easier to move forward. So even if we are talking about a fictional character, I think I owe a thing or two to this symbol of hope. Now I'm teacher, I try everything I can to help my students who live in some crazy neighborhoods and The Big Brothers seems to be a nice organization to work with.

I can contact people and every dollar I don't spend in DC Comics these days can be used in this kind of initiative.

Again, thank you for this. I am tired to complain about DC's decisions and this seems to be a good fight and a cool way to show we won't accept the nihilism and the suffering they are spreading with Wally West.

Have a good day
    I also don't live in the US currently, but these efforts don't necessarily need to be limited to the US exclusively. There are various UN organizations that fans could help fund as well.

If DC isn't publishing anything that you want to read, take that money and send a message by using it for something good. It doesn't matter how much or how little. It can be the cost of 12 issues of a Wally West comic that DC refuses to publish, or 6 issues or even just one. Make that money mean something. Every little bit will help.

Great Idea for a thread.

As of right now I have nothing to contribute but if I come up with something I will be sure to post. (or help contribute)
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

So, how should we operate ? Do we start à Wally West initiative group, contact people/Big Brothers Big Sisters of America and we focus on this organization ?

What should we do first ?

I agree that we should avoid the Mental Health aspect. BTW.

One for the reasons BohemiaDrinker stated. And two because I don't want Dan, Tom, or anyone else involved side handily taking any credit or thinking what happen was a good idea. FOR ANY REASON AT ALL.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I agree that we should avoid the Mental Health aspect. BTW.

One for the reasons BohemiaDrinker stated. And two because I don't want Dan, Tom, or anyone else involved side handily taking any credit or thinking what happen was a good idea. FOR ANY REASON AT ALL.
    You two are both definitely right.

What's William Messner-Loebs' current status?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    What's William Messner-Loebs' current status?
    I'll be working on this