Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Stryker's mantra was basically "We failed and let mutants roam around freely, spreading their filthy ways. But suddenly mutants have been brought down to a small enough number at such a drastic pace. It obviously means we've been given another chance to redeem ourselves and completely exterminate them."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Stryker's mantra was basically "We failed and let mutants roam around freely, spreading their filthy ways. But suddenly mutants have been brought down to a small enough number at such a drastic pace. It obviously means we've been given another chance to redeem ourselves and completely exterminate them."
    Is anyone arguing that they would have no enemies at all? I think the basis of JDW's opinion is that the world would not be one that feared and hated them as they had been since the early days, that is the mutant menace would no longer be a household topic any more than the Red Scare is these days, and arguably the things people were scared of then are still around and much more present than the "198" remaining mutants were.
    Last edited by cranger; 06-03-2019 at 11:57 AM.

Almost got an A.

Praising Schism was lame af.

A completely disagree about Decimation.
    It was the only consistent editorial plot created since Legacy Virus.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    A completely disagree about Decimation.
    It was the only consistent editorial plot created since Legacy Virus.
    THIS.

All of the following events developed naturally out of it, rather than springing fully formed without buildup or development (yes, Decimation was sprung on us out of House of M, but events like Messiah Complex were directly built up and lead into across the entire line).

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Is anyone arguing that they would have no enemies at all? I think the basis of JDW's opinion is that the world would not be one that feared and hated them as they had been since the early days, that is the mutant menace would no longer be a household topic any more than the Red Scare is these days, and arguably the things people were scared of then are still around and much more present than the "198" remaining mutants were.
    I really don't know what you're arguing here. JDW said that "hating and fearing" mutants wouldn't make sense anymore. Besides that already creating problems when compared to the mutant metaphor, there were still plenty of reasons for anti-mutant threats to pop up (which is why I brought up Stryker and the Purifiers). Any sort of danger they faced was cranked up to 11 because there were so few left and they couldn't afford to just send all the mutants into different directions unless they wanted to ramp up their extinction timer.

BANNED

Schism sucked so much, I can't even

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    I really don't know what you're arguing here. JDW said that "hating and fearing" mutants wouldn't make sense anymore. Besides that already creating problems when compared to the mutant metaphor, there were still plenty of reasons for anti-mutant threats to pop up (which is why I brought up Stryker and the Purifiers). Any sort of danger they faced was cranked up to 11 because there were so few left and they couldn't afford to just send all the mutants into different directions unless they wanted to ramp up their extinction timer.
    Well it does not make sense any more. Stryker is a nutjob, the Purifiers extremists. They are far from representative of the "small-minded" view of hating mutants that JDW is talking about as was always shown in the general populace.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by comeatmebro View Post
    I don't mind the outcome, but the reasoning on Wolverine's part and the lack of dive into the character motivations were glaring.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Well it does not make sense any more. Stryker is a nutjob, the Purifiers extremists. They are far from representative of the "small-minded" view of hating mutants that JDW is talking about as was always shown in the general populace.
    There was the fact that Stryker was a televangelist and his "fate took most, exterminate the rest" rhetoric could've reached a lot of people or started up its own movement aside from the Purifiers as a way to still justify the anti-mutant behavior. Just like with homophobia, there are other avenues of bigotry than just "I'm afraid they'll replace us." Besides, the X-Men shouldn't need the whole world or most of it hating them to make stories. What Schism did (and what just sounds like JDW wants) was just slowly bring the X-Men back to a return to old-school form.

Besides, the general populace hating mutants as they used to was already going away with Morrison's status quo as mutants started to become popular in pop culture. Either way, you dice it, the two avenues were going to push the X-Men in new directions and change up the tired, old "protect a world that hates and fears them." And if anyone is nostalgic for that, there will always be Marvel citizens that were hurt by a mutant that want to exact revenge.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PetPigeon View Post
    I don't mind the outcome, but the reasoning on Wolverine's part and the lack of dive into the character motivations were glaring.
    As much as AvX had its own problems it probably had more elements to it that would have made for a better Schism.

I can not imagine how anyone might like schism but apart from that it was a good interview.

Decimation needed to happen one way or another but that was not the biggest problem. The theme was too much abused and so each event that followed after somehow involved the extinction of the mutant species and this was a big mistake although the situation with the movies has not helped also.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Sooo... does the Schism praise qualify as moar evidence or Mr. White being a Scogan shipper?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by comeatmebro View Post
    Maybe the execution could have been better but the Schism storyline definitely had to happen . For too long the X-men were just the personal x-army of General Cyclops, just blindly following without any pushback. And with all those strong personalities in the team it was hard to see them become just lapdogs, offering no opinions or ideas. Someone had to step up to challenge Cyclops with differing alternatives. Now maybe Storm would have been a better option than Logan and maybe the split should have been something different than kids in combat but the overall idea of a Schism between the X-men was a good one. The ongoing narrative was leading to that, how long were the X-men going to be content with blindly following Cyclops and accepting his decisions? Too much strong personalities for that(Storm, Rogue and definitely Logan).

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Maybe the execution could have been better but the Schism storyline definitely had to happen . For too long the X-men were just the personal x-army of General Cyclops, just blindly following without any pushback. And with all those strong personalities in the team it was hard to see them become just lapdogs, offering no opinions or ideas. Someone had to step up to challenge Cyclops with differing alternatives. Now maybe Storm would have been a better option than Logan and maybe the split should have been something different than kids in combat but the overall idea of a Schism between the X-men was a good one. The ongoing narrative was leading to that, how long were the X-men going to be content with blindly following Cyclops and accepting his decisions? Too much strong personalities for that(Storm, Rogue and definitely Logan).
    So the issue with Xavier's chosen leader, the leader for years, being the leader...

would drive the X-Men to literally try and kill each other.

Can't imagine why that doesn't work...